Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The funny thing about all of the beatings that TSLA has taken over the years is that its made a lot of us HODLers much more resilient. We see an 8% dip now and it's like "meh. Good buying opp. It'll be back up in a few days."

The thing is, there isn't a high-growth, high-flyer out there in which this kind of move is not normal. As in completely expected. It would be weird if it didn't move like this. In a weeks time it could easily move to $550 and back past $880 to make new highs. Or not. It really is impossible to tell. You could stare at 200-day moving averages, Bollinger Bands and Heliotrope Hemmingways until your eyeballs do 360's in their sockets and you still wouldn't be any closer to knowing whether tomorrow will be up or down. But today was down after 11 days up so tomorrow will probably be down as well. Or not.

Embrace the volatility! The share price is just a rough approximation of value. Most of us here know Tesla will likely be worth a lot more in 3-5 years. Or maybe 3-5 days. o_O

Hi Guys, I am newbie and hold some Tesla shares at price point of $470. I am trying to understand what had happened today. Please could you or someone help explain a bit....
Thanks

ONE theory might be that an initial whole / tech market dip was exaggerated by big bad people, $TSLA dipped, stop losses were triggered, shares hoovered up & resold in a big after hours trade. Manipulators might be Market Makers or similar. Buyers would be large funds that are benchmarked (compare themselves with hope to outperform S&P500 for example, or at least claim to try) & concerned that a fast rising Tesla / $TSLA will make them look bad & so these funds are trying to get more $TSLA - around equal weight to S&P500, possibly more (as future $TSLA weighting in indexes likely to be higher). Also hedge funds & speculators preying on everyone / 'increasing liquidity in the markets'.

Another theory was more sellers than buyers.

My favourite theory is that over time markets are weighing machines, but in the short term they are voting machines. Voters being unstable, substance quaffing unstable loons on any particular day, but slowly edging to a destination one misstep after another.

$TSLA only related to TESLA over a long time period, not a short one. I judge the company's performance as most excellent*, while $TSLA can be bogus at times, but excellent over years. I won't sell any shares for years/ever (unless I have to). 'HODL' as many say.

I'm sure others have better contributions. Just from one noob to another. Not advice.

*I'm coming to the conclusion that Tesla people can do something for around 1-10% of the cost legacy would spend doing the same thing, at a much faster rate, to a much higher level.

Benzinga - half hour ago: Detroit Auto Show Canceled, New Outdoor Event Planned For September

Note: The show is run by Detroit car dealerships, hence it's unsurprising that Tesla may feel unwelcome. :rolleyes:

Excerpt:

The annual event held in Detroit will not occur in 2021, marking the second straight year it's been canceled.

A new event called Motor Bella will serve as a bridge to the future Sept. 21-26.

Tesla Inc was absent from the 2019 event, as were the German OEMs like Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz.

Tesla has not attended since 2015 due in part to the people in Lansing.
Tesla to skip Detroit auto show; Aston Martin returning

Forward Observer

Looking at rubber tires or shiny objects; Tesla competition might be sadly attractive to those lacking imagination to most bean counting analysts.

Elon specifically wants eCompetion ~ he stated that. Again, tire kicking analysts see eCompetion as tire kicking. A tree falling in the forest is heard as fossil fuel auto manufacturers snivel and wine (Whine). Most of it is a very bitter red whine.

Look and listen. Numbers can lie ~ a bakers dozen is not 12 eggs.

The true completion is fossil fuel and technology. A box with four wheels is just a box with four wheels. There is plenty of open space for eCompetion, just need Supercharging network:D

The 7 seat lower price Model Y would have been my original choice instead of our Model 3 purchased in 2018. That said we will be replacing our "other" ICE car to practice what we preach. Standard Range Model Y with only 3rd row seats as option comes in at $60,290 CAD.
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 5.57.49 PM.png

Can someone from Canada confirm if we are eligible for the $5,000 grant based on following. Base Model Y is $56,290 however does not include the optional third row seating @ $4000, so is Tesla disqualified since combined is a $60,290 cost ($55,000 max MSRP to qualify)? Would be a bummer to miss out on the grant based on $290. Also not sure if destination & document fee, A/C fee adn OMVIC is substracted to get MSRP. If the new SR Model Y qualifies for the incentive, it should stoke Canadian sales.

Electric Vehicle Incentives – Plug'n Drive
As of May 1, 2019, all Canadians qualify for an incentive of up to $5,000 off the purchase of a new fully electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle.
  • The base model MSRP must be less than $45,000 and the final MSRP after options must not exceed $55,000
  • For passenger vehicles with seven or more seats, the base model MSRP must be less than $55,000 and the final MSRP after options must not exceed $60,000
  • To qualify for the full eligible incentive amount, you must purchase the car outright or enter into a lease with a minimum duration of 48 months

Hi Guys, I am newbie and hold some Tesla shares at price point of $470. I am trying to understand what had happened today. Please could you or someone help explain a bit....
Thanks
Explanations are on PapaFox's thread. But basically, TSLA is volatile in the short term and climbs in the long term. Just don't sell the shares or try to time the market and you'll make out fine.

Sorry but I have to completely disagree with this post. TSLA lost value today so this portion of your net worth dropped today. The value lost is not theoretical. It was real. With a click of a button one can sell those shares and within nanoseconds cash will appear in your account. Closing one's position will cause one to realize the loss or gain for tax purposes. Value is value even as it fluctuates by the second.

While this is true, this point of view can lead to some poor choices. I rode TSLA from 350 to 170ish awhile back (pre-split). I lost 50% of value. I didn't sell though and didn't realize that loss. Good thing too.

The way I've begun managing this idea that is making sense to me - I do track portfolio value, but it's also becoming less important to me. I've begun tracking the # of shares and the cash in each account that is substantive and that I sell options in. Whether the stock goes up or down, the share count is unchanged. That is a desirable point of view for me for selling covered calls - I know that I can sell the same number of calls whether the share price is $200 or $2000. With my larger view of Tesla's long term prospects, I am indifferent today to either of those prices (in terms of my long term holding).

I also track the cash as I know that I can sell an increasing number of puts as the shares go down, and a decreasing number as the shares go up. I also spend the cash for living expenses, so there's that as well :)

Reactions: corduroy
You guys understand that stocks doesn't go parabolic in one way or the other. Pullbacks are expected. Thats why I wasn't looking forward to today unlike some of you guys over the weekend but it's a necessary evil and overall healthy to consolidate.

Always like when major banks upgrade their price targets to justify current stock price.
The only thing I understand is STONKS only go up!! :) This pullback was due...might even dip more, but we all know the outcome...it's just a matter of time.

Hey, has the Financials disclosure date been announced? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Then again I could still be in the dream I had last night where I was riding a dirt bike on a bunch of multi colored couch cushions, then went into a nice hotel lobby and drank coffee with a couple old Norwegians who had some great lefse with butter and cinnamon... am I still there?

Hey, has the Financials disclosure date been announced? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Then again I could still be in the dream I had last night where I was riding a dirt bike on a bunch of multi colored couch cushions, then went into a nice hotel lobby and drank coffee with a couple old Norwegians who had some great lefse with butter and cinnamon... am I still there?
TD Ameritrade shows January 27 as the date of the ER.