Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still can't order model Y off the UK site. There's just a button to Stay Updated. I find it strange that they are not taking orders, does anyone have a rationale?
Elon stated last year that Europe will get Model Y from Giga Berlin. Look for the UK order page sometime in Q2 I'd think (approx 1-2 mths before production).

" . . . it is the Tegra daughterboard that Tesla charges $120 for. Total cost, including labor, is closer to $400."

Wait a minute. If Tesla sells the daughterboard for $120 it should cost them somewhere between $12 and $60. Normal mark-up for parts between manufacturing and end user are 100% or more.
Labor is what? About 2 hours? (I really do not know) that would be $40 to the mechanic and about the same in payroll expenses, add $10 per hour for the shops space = $100 total labor. So total cost to Tesla per replacement is more like $150 or so. Also not all 158,000 cars manufactured with this defect are still on the road, and many have surpassed the 100,000 miles mark.
My guess is 50,000 actual warranty repairs at a cost o $150 each = $7.5million.

That is how I see this, no big deal.

I did this repair myself. An experienced tech should be able to swap out the daughtercard in under an hour.

That having been said, they may allot and charge 2 hours for the process, however...

Elon stated last year that Europe will get Model Y from Giga Berlin. Look for the UK order page sometime in Q2 I'd think (approx 1-2 mths before production).
I believe that in some European markets it has been possible to pre-order the Y for many months. Perhaps @Right_Said_Fred , @avoigt or @Lycanthrope (or others) could confirm or contradict?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Some (potentially) inside info on the S & X refresh:
48EE8A4F-A67F-4730-A90D-7837BA461689.jpeg

Some (potentially) inside info on the S & X refresh:
View attachment 627462

that means these lines will have been down for well over a month before resuming. sounds like more than a minor refresh. i'm afraid to get my hopes up for 4680 production so far ahead of schedule, but i can't help but look for clues for it.

Sold 690 Jun 18 Put for ~9k. IB only demanded a 14k increase on my margin.
This is a really good return on my capital tied up for 155 days. I cannot imagine that in 6 months, with Berlin factory coming online, Beta subscription being announced, and stimulus money being pumped, that TSLA could go lower than 690. If it does, gimme those 100 shares immediately, please. No way the rest of the benchmarks would let it go below SnP purchase price.

I could have also simply bought a LEAP, but then again, what I want wouldn't have been this cheap.

Although, I hate the new German law that doesn't allow retailers to offset losses from options, rendering playing with options almost entirely impossible. I might decide to move away for a few months to be a tax resident in a different country this year.

EDIT: probably should reconsider since seems to have hit a wall with 860. Well let's see :)

Last edited:
A few notes about S/X lines not being used right now:

1. Not a problem IMO. Tesla hasn't been maximizing output of these lines anyway (they've been below production capacity) so being down for a bit (especially to make things more efficient/better and possibly while updating for a refresh) is a good thing and shouldn't hurt quarterly output much at all. They can always run the lines more to meet demand.

2. Tesla continues to show that cost is on their mind. In my estimation they are making room in the factory for Roadster production. Higher factory production density is a good thing.

3. Tesla is now showing that in the same space (the former NUMMI factory) they can produce even more cars than Toyota. Who's the manufacturing efficiency king now, baby?!?

I believe that in some European markets it has been possible to pre-order the Y for many months. Perhaps @Right_Said_Fred , @avoigt or @Lycanthrope could confirm or contradict?

Correct, I have a MYP on order for the wife (don't tell her it's a Performance though, she doesn't know, doesn't want, but I'll drive it too, FFS :eek:)

A few notes about S/X lines not being used right now:

1. Not a problem IMO. Tesla hasn't been maximizing output of these lines anyway (they've been below production capacity) so being down for a bit (especially to make things more efficient/better and possibly while updating for a refresh) is a good thing and shouldn't hurt quarterly output much at all. They can always run the lines more to meet demand.

2. Tesla continues to show that cost is on their mind. In my estimation they are making room in the factory for Roadster production. Higher factory production density is a good thing.

3. Tesla is now showing that in the same space (the former NUMMI factory) they can produce even more cars than Toyota. Who's the manufacturing efficiency king now, baby?!?
Have the workers returned to work, and if so what are they doing?