Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also on the theme of "the best part is no part" it sounds like this inverter has built in WiFi and LTE (removing the need for the black square gateway for Powerwall-less installs), and has Dual/Quad MPPT (removing the panel-level optimizers). A 12.24 kW system would have 6 MPPT strings, which should probably be plenty to mitigate the effects of shading on differently tilted arrays.

Reduced hardware costs, reduced installation time.

I'm selfishly thrilled about this because it will allow Tesla to make their panels/glass smarter instead of depending on SEDG to do so. Many people like myself want SolarGlass but with the premium experience of microinverters.

I'd be thrilled to lose sleep for 55,000%! The issue for me is not losing sleep, but the non-zero probability that I would be down 100%. As I've said in the past, it's not for me, but kudos to all of you who are making a killing with options!

This isn't a reason to start trading options, but realize that not all option positions are equally risky / gambling. In many cases the option position (or share + option) position is safer / lower risk than pure share ownership. This is particularly true in a shorter time frame (say 2 years and under).

An easy example - covered calls (where most start) limits your upside during the option period. In doing so you also lower the effective cost basis of the shares, lowering the risk of a significant move downward.

If you're in a zero thought / buy and hold for the next 10 years (as I've been for the last 8), then that lower risk in exchange for limited upside is a bad (or at least more risky) decision; stick with buy and hold.

But if you knew that you needed to sell shares in the next couple of years (house purchase, college for the kids are a couple of popular ones), then simply waiting until you need the $$ and selling at that time can be hugely risky. If the shares go down (and TSLA does go down - sometimes explosively), you could find yourself with the need to sell at a very bad price (i.e. - more shares).

In this situation, some covered calls might start generating that $$ you need, create the possibility of a particularly good sale price (if you'd sell today at $850, surely you'd sell in a few months at $1000; and get paid some extra for the privilege. This also carries risk - every choice and non-choice has risks and rewards). And heck, you might even do well enough with the covered calls that you don't end up needing to sell any shares.

The two inescapable requirements that I've identified for options (these are my opinions):
1) You've got to be ready to learn. Much more than buy and hold requires. Think 20-30 hours of options education to get started, with plenty more learning and experience to gain from there to do it well.
2) You've got to enjoy doing it. Or at least, it can't be drudgery / work. Too much to keep track of; too much to know etc.. to do it without that additional motivation. Heck - too likely that you'll cut corners and do it badly (expensively).

The learning part, at least the start of it, is easy to force yourself to do. If nothing else, you know about something in detail that you didn't know before. The second though is inescapable if this is an endeavor you want to incorporate into your routine investment activity (I don't see any success down a path where you're forcing yourself to do options, when you're not enjoying the process).

Operational Update for Daily Action Report:

EDGAR data for Pre-market + After-hrs no longer available via NASDAQ.

This will affect the daily After Action Reports as follows:
  • Volume, Total traded Amnt$, VWAP will no longer be available
  • Daily VWAP, Total traded Amnt$ will not be comparible to history
I'd like to thank all the members here at TMC for their comments and support over the past year. It's been an incredible highly anticipated run which many of us saw coming for several years.

Congratulations, well done TMC! Thanks Elon, and Team Tesla!

Cheers!

Operational Update for Daily Action Report:

EDGAR data for Pre-market + After-hrs no longer available via NASDAQ.

This will affect the daily After Action Reports as follows:
  • Volume, Total traded Amnt$, VWAP will no longer be available
  • Daily VWAP, Total traded Amnt$ will not be comparible to history
I'd like to thank all the members here at TMC for their comments and support over the past year. It's been an incredible highly anticipated run which many of us saw coming for several years.

Congratulations, well done TMC! Thanks Elon, and Team Tesla!

Cheers!

Eh? Please explain to the n00b, why this change occurred? Was it some sort of benchmark to cheer for? Or is one comment (no longer available) not related to the other (thx everyone)?

• Funny
Reactions: FireMedic
After-action Report: Thu, Jan 14, 2021: (Main Session Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Morning Gain Pulled Back to S&P 500 Index by Midday"

Volume: (Full-Day): 31,266,327
Traded: (Main session) $26,256,399,639.62 ($26.26B)
Volume: (Main session) 30,830,184
VWAP: (Main session) $851.65

Close: $845.00 / VWAP: 99.22%
TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP
TSLA MaxPain (7:00 A.M.): $540 (+$40 from Wed)

TSLA S&P 500 Weight: 2.016328% (Jan 13)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / FB $800.976B / $699.654B = 114.48%
Note: Yahoo Finance yet to update TSLA Mkt Cap re shares issued Dec 11th (SEC Filing)
CEO Comp. Status: (est'd Mkt Cap including Dec 11th shares)

TSLA 30-day Closing Avg Market Cap: $696.76B
TSLA 6-mth Closing Avg Market Cap: $445.38B

Mkt Cap req'd for 8th tranche ($450B) likely to be achieved on Tue, Jan 19, 2021
Paging @The Accountant

Nota Bene: Operational milestones are req'd for this tranche.
'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 52.2% (51st Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short / Total Volume = 57.7% (55th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt ratio was 0.40% of Short Volume (46th Percentile Rank Exempt)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 202101-14.png

Comment: "NASDAQ/EDGAR has withdrawn 'per-minute' trading data for Pre-market and After-hrs sessions"

QOTW: @JamesBrown "Buy some shares and forget your password"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Last edited:
For anyone following along at home, an update on the now infamous ringleader (read: circus clown) of the “smart shorts”.
Aaron Greenspan’s “Company” Think Computer Surrenders Right to Do Business in California

I suggest signing up for email notifications from Omar so you don’t miss the saga. And to show him some love. People like him make it possible for us to go on living normal lives while the shorts continue to get ‘pantsed’ in public.
I’ve posted this before, but I highly recommend donating to Omar’s legal fight against short-seller/legal bully Aaron Greenspan. Aaron sued Elon Musk and Omar and Omar has limited funds to pay for his defence. I feel like he is defending this for all of us longs. Read the whole saga on his website and I’m sure you will convinced. I donated $1,000.

Volume is pretty low today.

Is this what it was like when sailors got caught in the Doldrums crossing the Atlantic? :confused:

What are the chances of getting Scurvy :eek: while waiting for the "trade" winds to fill the sails once more? (pun intended):rolleyes:
Sounds like it's time for some fortified orange juice! And if you think it's bad now, remember it's a 3 day weekend for the US stock market...

Yeah. Folks not familiar with the inverter space may be interested to know that there are essentially two companies that dominate, Solaredge (string inverters, used by Tesla) and Enphase (micro inverters). I have been an investor in ENPH at various times throughout the last two years. My understanding from following the space is that SEDG has been gradually losing marketshare to ENPH, and many installers are switching to ENPH because SEDG inverters have a higher failure rate and less-than-ideal customer support. I can understand from Tesla's perspective why they would want their own solution, especially for Solar Glass, where microinverters don't make practical sense and a continued partnership with SEDG could be considered a liability for the product.

EDIT: Another important point is that when it comes to solar, the bulk of the profits are at the inverter, not the panels or installation, hence why SEDG and ENPH have rocketed to $18b and $25b marketcaps.
SEDG and ENPH have been two of my best stocks. Now Tesla threatens to screw that all up.

w
I'll reiterate again, my $TSLA core shares account is up around 1000% over the last 18 months, my trading account (where I have been dicking with options of all varieties) is up 55000%, even with large sums of cash withdrawn

So yes, options are risky, they still make my brain hurt, even now, and I've had many a sleepless night over them, but you can do very well too

There's a lot of snobbery in this thread against option plays, a "hodlier than thou" attitude, if you like, and this sometimes rubs those that play options the wrong way

To be fair, this is the "investor thread", but most of us playing with options are investors too

I think there's lots to be learned from many posters here, and many different strategies to make money from this stock, even when it's falling or trading sideways
"Holdier than thou." I like that.

In fairness, there is a lot of chatter about options on this thread. I agree there is something to be learned from it.

I also think some folks may be led down the garden path and think options are somehow the preferred way to invest especially given the amount of this chatter and the crowing about successes. We don’t hear so much about the folks who have blown the bottom out of their financial boat with options.

I had FOMO in the winter of 2018 and thought the market would soon cotton on to Tesla’s great future. If I had traded options instead of buying shares on that thought about the market clueing in soon, I would have been sunk.

Predicting the future well ahead of others is notoriously difficult.

Timing options successfully is notoriously difficult.

For success, both require talent along with access to the right information and tools as well as experience. Excelling in one, especially at the upper reaches of performance, will pull you away from peak performance in the other in my opinion.

I believe each requires different ways of thinking, different states of mind, and probably different personality types because they are very different investment practices. In other words, people have to choose what suits them.

You can be proud of your investing track record. Though and not to put too fine a point on it, the early in, meaningful buy, and long hold strategy will in my experience stack up favorably against it; quite so in fact. Plus, one gets more delicious REM sleep. ;)

edit: This is not to say a hold strategy is without risks or strain. Far from it. The summer of 2019 saw my winter of 2018 investment cut in half. Earlier purchases were down though not quite as much. That was a hard period to go through, but at least ‘all’ I needed to do was hold so my investment survived. I was truly glad to be a member of TMC and following this thread at that point. In fact, I even bought a few more shares at that point with some couch money. But, yeah, I might’ve lost some sleep then. :oops:

Last edited: