Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Benzinga - half hour ago: Tesla Powerwalls May Be Used For Virtual Power Plant In Hawaii: Report

Excerpt:

Swell Energy announced it reached an agreement with the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission for a new $25 million virtual power plant project. While Swell Energy has not yet announced who it's partnering with, it has used Tesla's Powerwalls in the past, so it's likely they will continue using Tesla in the future.

Nice-looking breakout $835 to $843... any news?

Possibly this
https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1351593864625348613

NEWS: According to the forecast of Chinese Industrial Securities, Giga Shanghai Will Strive to Reach 523K Annual Production Capacity this Year.

"Based on the production capacity of the Tesla factory, Giga Shanghai will produce 523,000 electric vehicles this year, of which 278,000 are Model 3 and 245,000 are Model Y. About 120,000 vehicles produced this year will go for export."

"It is reported that the plant's weekly capacity in early 2021 will reach 8,000 vehicles per week, of which will be 5,000 Model 3 and 3,000 Model Y vehicles. By the end of the year, the factory will be able to increase production even more"

Report: Tesla Giga Shanghai Will Strive to Reach 523K Annual Production Capacity this Year

Adding up the monthly quotes on Model Y I get an average of 12k / month or 144k (call it 150k) for the year.
That also lines up with the number of model threes China was able to produce in the first year.

in addition it specified that model three is already running at a 250k / year rate.

So it sounds like we can count on Shanghai for 400 K sales this year. If we can get 500k Model 3’s and Y’s from Fremont and 80k refreshed SX, we’re knocking on 1M vehicles in 2021 even completely excluding Austin and Berlin!

Last edited:
Report: Tesla Giga Shanghai Will Strive to Reach 523K Annual Production Capacity this Year

Adding up the monthly quotes on Model Y I get an average of 12k / month or 144k (call it 150k) for the year.
That also lines up with the number of model threes China was able to produce in the first year.

in addition it specified that model three is already running at a 250k / year rate.

So it sounds like we can count on Shanghai for 400 K sales this year. If we can get 500k Model 3’s and Y’s from Fremont and 80k refreshed SX, we’re knocking on 1M vehicles in 2021 excluding Austin and Berlin!
Tesla will achieve 999,504 and FUDsters will claim 'they missed 1M deliveries due to demand problems...."

The real news (non news for us on TMC) is the video of battery cell production-- indicating both the new form factor and rapid production. In many of the notes and comments by Elon, has said on multiple occasions that the most difficult task is to scale production. And low and behold there is a video now showing scaled production of the battery. This is way beyond someone peeking through a window in the factory to see how fast the stamping machine is going, and way beyond walking speed of a production line. It is almost immaterial how fast they can make cars, because the commodity is energy in the form of batteries.

Let all the others make the cars, they still need batteries... Let alone batteries to back up utlities and of course mine bitcoin...

And this might be the answer to why the cybertruck has an enormous range for and angled brick form, and the plaid having hypercar numbers, what will the roadster do?

Possibly this
https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1351593864625348613

NEWS: According to the forecast of Chinese Industrial Securities, Giga Shanghai Will Strive to Reach 523K Annual Production Capacity this Year.

"Based on the production capacity of the Tesla factory, Giga Shanghai will produce 523,000 electric vehicles this year,

These. Are. Not. The. Same. Thing.

And, in fact, are mutually incompatible (one cannot strive to reach an annual production capacity and actually produce that capacity in the same year, unless the capacity one strove to reach is higher than that reported).

Journalism is hard and stuff, but this sort of inconsistency of reporting drives me up a wall.

These. Are. Not. The. Same. Thing.

And, in fact, are mutually incompatible (one cannot strive to reach an annual production capacity and actually produce that capacity in the same year, unless the capacity one strove to reach is higher than that reported).

Journalism is hard and stuff, but this sort of inconsistency of reporting drives me up a wall.
Correct, also as a comment to someone above. It's very unlikely Fremont can do BOTH 500k 3/Y and 90k S/X. They never said they could but everyone seems to just add up those figures. I'm also optimistic but so many seems to just take the highest numbers ever mentioned and add them up. That's not how it works.

I do similar things, but your post definitely does not highlight the risks involved and sounds like the typical "Sell options to get free money!" advice. Especially if you are selling options so aggressively near the money covered by margin. If the stock moves strongly against you (down in this case) you can end up in a difficult situation with your margin. I think it's best to try to envision what happens if the stock drops 50% prior to expiration. A lot of people say, well if you are assigned, just sell aggressive covered calls. That works great as long as the stock is not swinging wildly. Margin aside, the worst thing to happen would be for the stock to go way down, you get assigned, sell ATM CC and then have it whipsaw back up. Selling options for free money totally works until it doesn't like most things in the stock market.

That’s why I only use a third of my margin! But valid points! Since I need income, I find this method to be the most risk-friendly currently and thought I’d share it with others! Thanks for highlighting the risks, now we’ve presented a clear case for everyone to decide on!

Benzinga - half hour ago: Photos Of Tesla's New Structural Battery Pack Leak Online

Excerpt:

Tesla has been using giant pressed castings for the Model Y and will use this technique for the new structural battery. Electrek has obtained the first pictures of Tesla's structural battery pack design. The pictures show the battery pack without batteries in them, showing the honeycomb design. This design is strong and lightweight.

Correct, also as a comment to someone above. It's very unlikely Fremont can do BOTH 500k 3/Y and 90k S/X. They never said they could but everyone seems to just add up those figures. I'm also optimistic but so many seems to just take the highest numbers ever mentioned and add them up. That's not how it works.
Nobody ever said we're not an optimistic bunch around here...