Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then that's a fundamental design flaw.

My previous Volvo S80, Mazda CX-5 and Volkswagen Eurovan had EXACTLY the same bumper standoff design. In my opinion it's a good system because it's so easy to adjust (as long as people don't spin them unconsciously in their fingers).

Are you saying all of those vehicles have a fundamental design flaw?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
My previous Volvo S80, Mazda CX-5 and Volkswagen Eurovan had EXACTLY the same bumper standoff design. In my opinion it's a good system because it's so easy to adjust (as long as people don't spin them unconsciously in their fingers).
If something is easy to knock out of alignment then I'd consider it a poor design, no matter what company is using it. It should take more than casual pressure to change.

If something is easy to knock out of alignment then I'd consider it a poor design, no matter what company is using it. It should take more than casual pressure to change.

You're both discussing a strawman that StealthP3D invented. There is zero evidence that anyone adjusted the car before Sandy looked at it. The simplest explanation, that the car left the factory in that state, is most likely correct.

You're both discussing a strawman that StealthP3D invented. There is zero evidence that anyone adjusted the car before Sandy looked at it. The simplest explanation, that the car left the factory in that state, is most likely correct.

My point was never that someone DID adjust it - it's that we don't know if someone turned those little bumpers or not. Tesla frunks have a reputation of taking a good push to close but not that much of a push. That's why I suspect the rubber standoffs are proud (because it looks like the hood needed to be slightly deformed in the center to get the catch to latch). It's as good of a theory as that it left the factory that way but we can't know which it is without inspecting WHY it's hard to close. It's one of two things:

1) The latch is misadjusted from the factory.
2) The rubber standoffs are proud (either from the factory or absentmindedly turned).

People here are making assumptions about things they know nothing about. And making an entire video about one misadjusted hood on one Tesla is over the top. This is not the kind of thing you devote an entire video to when it is so easy to fix.

I've seen people do this unconsciously to my Model 3 while they were looking into the frunk. I had to point out that they were adjusting my hood standoff height (they thought the rubber bumper was just spinning freely in their fingers).

Almost all cars use this exact same bumper standoff design! It takes a deliberate twisting force to change the adjustment and they cannot move on their own.

...these seem contradictory claims?

How can it take deliberate force to adjust, but also they spin freely and were adjusted unconsciously?

4ukvx3.jpg

https://www.etf.com/stock/TSLA

Just because it's slow today, I went back to an old itch. 202 ETF's holding TSLA as of today, holding 58.8 million shares. This is an increase from a few weeks ago, but not by much. Does anyone know if the funds that benchmark against the S&P index have finished buying? Could we say that we're now at equilibrium (those that want to buy TSLA are done doing so)?

https://www.etf.com/stock/TSLA

Just because it's slow today, I went back to an old itch. 202 ETF's holding TSLA as of today, holding 58.8 million shares. This is an increase from a few weeks ago, but not by much. Does anyone know if the funds that benchmark against the S&P index have finished buying?

Since there's no requirement for them to buy at all, and certainly not in any specific amount, that'd be impossible to say.

It's possible such a fund that is convinced they want to remain at 0 TSLA today will change their mind in 6 months (or 6 days or 6 years).

It's possible such a fund that is convinced they want to hold equal-to-index-funds TSLA today will change their mind in 6 months (or 6 days or 6 years).

Ditto all such funds that hold an amount other than 0 or index-weight today.

That said- the fact we had a significantly post-inclusion run up to an 880 high on no real news other than possibly benchmark funds buying.... and we're now approaching the end of a 7th day of trading where the ATH of 880 hasn't yet recurred at least suggests the funds who wished to add RIGHT NOW have finished for right now.

Now, if I have this right, after being bored near to death as half the average volume underwhelms us while we await the 4Q Earnings Call we can rest assured the following will happen:

1. An amazingly astounding report on Q4 earnings, modest projections are announced for the coming year that are beyond most analysts ability to understand, and anyone who has been paying attention will recognize what this means for Tesla.
  2. Only, those people who report in the finance media won't be among the group labeled "those paying attention" and FUD will be released to celebrate this truly unique growth company's achievements and future projections by down playing them and twisting the facts to suit a narrative of their own.
  3. This, naturally, will result in a drop in the SP.
  4. Some days, or weeks, later once the spring has wound up and the people actually purchasing stocks have finally got a sliver of understanding of this latest report on Tesla, the SP will begin another of those repeated marches upward. Well after any of us could have imagined.
Just wanted to make certain I'm on the same page with the group think here. :rolleyes: