Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, I was thinking today, with as much fun as we've made of Audi from calling their first BEV an "e-Tron," we should think of a different moniker for the smaller, less expensive vehicle Tesla is designing and probably building in China than the "Model 2."
but "2SEXY" works for me... ;)

Okay, I listened to it. The whole thing. Pretty useless in my opinion. Dave seems to be desperately searching for some kind of magic that determines who gets rich on TSLA and who doesn't. But it isn't there to be found in individuals or anecdotes. He keeps asking: schooling? job? life experience? I'm surprised he didn't ask whether the guy's sex life was a factor. And, of course, Jason basically said he went with his gut and just knew Tesla had to succeed because the product was awesome. Just like many of the people here, past and present. And some get lucky and get rich, and some don't. And the fields of destitution are littered with those who were impressed by great products and put everything they had into businesses that went bust.

Jason's a guy who got excited about Tesla and put everything into it. He got unlucky in that it didn't go up when it should have, but was pretty much flat for years. He got lucky in that he stuck it out and was there for the 2020 boom in TSLA. He especially got lucky that the great product was being made by what's turning out to be a great business. There's really nothing to be learned from that. There are no doubt dozens of Jasons just at Google who did more or less the same thing and made little or nothing or lost their shirts. If Dave keeps at his search for a few decades, he'll discover it's all survivorship bias. That is if he interviews the other guys, the ones who lost, and discovers they give the same answers.

Me, I've lost a ton of money on TSLA over the years. And I've made a ton of money. Right now, things are very positive. But a year ago, things were very negative. I don't think I'm any different now, nor did I change anything significant about how I was betting on TSLA, nor is Tesla particularly different. All that's really different is that Tesla's last decade of hard work is turning it into an overnight success.;)

If Dave wants to find magic, he should seek out the people who got into TSLA last January or April. They're the ones who got the most bang for the buck out of Tesla's overnight success. And then he should watch for when they get out. Because there's absolutely no doubt from listening to Jason, that if TSLA goes down the tubes he'll go down with it.

Edit: I should note that I always find Dave's podcasts to be a waste of my time. He's clearly talking to a different audience. I most recently listened to him interview Rob Maurer and it was useless compared to any of Rob's podcasts.
Pre 2018 I would say investing in Tesla was mostly in Elon we trust. The model 3 ramp for lots of people determined if the stock was investable or not. Having gained access to a cheaper car also helps when it comes to product research vs anecdotal hearsay online. I think everyone got lucky when Tesla had logistics issues that was spun as demand issue by everyone. That was the best time to load up but of course many feared for Tesla's life due to cash burn and limited cash on hand.

Anyone who made spreadsheets before buying their first Tesla shares raise your hand.

I actually read some earning reports and spent a week reading and watching Tesla stuff on the net. Before I started investing my measly sums. Bet that is much more preparation than most here. Still feel like I just got lucky. Not sure who Bet TSLA expects to hear from who are much different.

Anyone who made spreadsheets before buying their first Tesla shares raise your hand.

I actually read some earning reports and spent a week reading and watching Tesla stuff on the net. Before I started investing my measly sums. Bet that is much more preparation than most here. Still feel like I just got lucky. Not sure who Bet TSLA expects to hear from who are much different.

*raise* (wont let me react to a post yet)

I don't even know how to make a spreadsheet. Does that mean I'm really dumb or really smart?

OK, all of you all are invited!

it is gonna be my B-day on January 31.

I will be one TSLA year old.
My Chinese Friend that got his fortune the old fashioned internet way had me in CHinese stocks. I had seen (and reserved) the cybernotatruck reveal in December. And then joined the Cybernotatruck forum. And after listening for about a month to several of the members bragging how their TSLA stock was going to pay for their Cybernotatruck, I took about 90% of my nmeger wealth and plunked it down on TSLA, and spun the wheel...
Cake and Ice cream will be served.
I will be accepting pressies...
Stonk Chairs

My leap into the pool full of greenbacks:

Order Type
Bought
Account
Brokerage - 7496
Trade date
01/31/2020
Settlement date
02/04/2020
Security
TSLA
Quantity
Price
$643.79
Commission
$0.00
Amount
$70,817.45

With another $10-20g's bought at various times, and a few errors in judgement I am over $500g. I really don't know what $500g's are. At just the tenderest of ages...ONE YEAR OLD.

New exciting week coming up. Lots of uncertainty in the market with lots of bears. Anyone gonna pick up more shares before the next earning call?
Most people here "buy the dip". So, unless something weird happens prior to Wednesday's close, probably not.

Earnings vs. earnings expectations is the wildest guessing game there is for any stock, including TSLA.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1353564655088619520?s=21

3022C4A8-194F-4EAD-A33B-70CB50D942BA.jpeg

:p

Okay, I listened to it. The whole thing. Pretty useless in my opinion. Dave seems to be desperately searching for some kind of magic that determines who gets rich on TSLA and who doesn't. But it isn't there to be found in individuals or anecdotes. He keeps asking: schooling? job? life experience? I'm surprised he didn't ask whether the guy's sex life was a factor. And, of course, Jason basically said he went with his gut and just knew Tesla had to succeed because the product was awesome. Just like many of the people here, past and present. And some get lucky and get rich, and some don't. And the fields of destitution are littered with those who were impressed by great products and put everything they had into businesses that went bust.

Jason's a guy who got excited about Tesla and put everything into it. He got unlucky in that it didn't go up when it should have, but was pretty much flat for years. He got lucky in that he stuck it out and was there for the 2020 boom in TSLA. He especially got lucky that the great product was being made by what's turning out to be a great business. There's really nothing to be learned from that. There are no doubt dozens of Jasons just at Google who did more or less the same thing and made little or nothing or lost their shirts. If Dave keeps at his search for a few decades, he'll discover it's all survivorship bias. That is if he interviews the other guys, the ones who lost, and discovers they give the same answers.

Me, I've lost a ton of money on TSLA over the years. And I've made a ton of money. Right now, things are very positive. But a year ago, things were very negative. I don't think I'm any different now, nor did I change anything significant about how I was betting on TSLA, nor is Tesla particularly different. All that's really different is that Tesla's last decade of hard work is turning it into an overnight success.;)

If Dave wants to find magic, he should seek out the people who got into TSLA last January or April. They're the ones who got the most bang for the buck out of Tesla's overnight success. And then he should watch for when they get out. Because there's absolutely no doubt from listening to Jason, that if TSLA goes down the tubes he'll go down with it.

Edit: I should note that I always find Dave's podcasts to be a waste of my time. He's clearly talking to a different audience. I most recently listened to him interview Rob Maurer and it was useless compared to any of Rob's podcasts.
I find Dave’s podcasts extremely useful. He has introduced me to many stocks I would not have known about (I am in Canada and some of these companies have not opened offices here yet). Not just any stocks but stocks that seem to be winners. Here are a few examples.

In a podcast with Rob Mauer about 9 months ago they talk about SQ and Stripe. SQ has 4x since then. Stripe is still private. He mentioned in one of his Emmet Peppers interviews that Stripe is a no brainer to add to your portfolio if it ever IPOs.

He has done some analysis about LMND about 3 months ago and has interviewed the CEO. LMND has 3x since then. In one of the Emmet Peppers interviews Dave thinks LMND has the potential to 50x. Safe to say this stock is on my radar. For the record, ARK Invest has dismissed this stock as a good buy.

Dave has also mentioned the stock Roblox which was supposed to IPO in 2020 but has been delayed. This will also be on my radar.

If I did not have such a high conviction in TSLA and invested in the stocks Dave talks about on his channel I would have done extremely well.

Last edited:
I find Dave’s podcasts extremely useful. He has introduced me to many stocks I would not have known about (I am in Canada and some of these companies have not opened offices here yet). Not just any stocks but stocks that seem to be winners. Here are a few examples.

In a podcast with Rob Mayer about 9 months ago they talk about SQ and Stripe. SQ has 4x since then. Stripe is still private. He mentioned in one of his Emmet Peppers interviews that Stripe is a no brainer to add to your portfolio if it ever IPOs.

He has done some analysis about LMND about 3 months ago and has interviewed the CEO. LMND has 3x since then. In one of the Emmet Peppers interviews Dave thinks LMND has the potential to 50x. Safe to say this stock is on my radar. For the record, ARK Invest has dismissed this stock as a good buy.

Dave has also mentioned the stock Roblox which was supposed to IPO in 2020 but has been delayed. This will also be on my radar.

If I did not have such a high conviction in TSLA and invested in the stocks Dave talks about on his channel I would have done extremely well.

slight correction, I believe @DaveT said he thinks lmnd can 100x. :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: JustMe
They are too busy calling Munro unscientific bovine feces...well depending on the video..

You know, it's nice that Munro appreciates what Tesla has done and is spreading the word that they are the new kid on the block and one to be reckoned with, but I've watched most of his videos and it's amazing how much he DOESN'T know. It's not that uncommon for him to say some really ignorant things. I guess that's not too surprising considering how far out of his expertise he has started reaching in the last couple of years. I love to see him stretching the limits of his experience but it really shows sometimes.

In some of his earlier Tesla videos he makes it apparent how much he respects Tesla and Elon Musk and he also said some things that made me think he tried, without success, to get Tesla to hire his company. I think he knows why but that doesn't mean he has to like it or tell everyone how humiliating it must be for him to realize he is a "has been". Which he is, no matter how much experience he has in manufactuuring. It doesn't mean he couldn't add some value.

If I were Elon Musk, a small part of me would want to hire him for a few days twice a year to wander around and learn how Tesla is doing things so he could stir the pot and offer suggestions, fully realizing that most of them would not be helpful, but that some would. Munro is a tightwad and would love to back in the thick of the "auto action", so the price would be good. But I wouldn't do it because my smarter half would know that he can't keep his mouth shut and, in the end, would cause more problems than he's worth.

I just hope he keeps spreading the word about the amazing differences between a Tesla and all other EV's and stops creating entire videos about a frunk latch that is not quite adjusted to correctly on a sample of one.

Historically, have earnings calls ever resulted in positive SP movement?

Might be better to expect a Tweet or Meme in late February or March to trigger some upswing in the SP. :rolleyes:
(or, maybe a split, followed by a rating bump and Dow inclusion? :cool:)
Oct '19 (q3) earnings ignited this historic run we are still riding.

You know, I was thinking today, with as much fun as we've made of Audi from calling their first BEV an "e-Tron," we should think of a different moniker for the smaller, less expensive vehicle Tesla is designing and probably building in China than the "Model 2."

What’s in a name? :eek:

upload_2021-1-24_22-34-53.jpeg

Hmm, maybe we should let this e-scatalogical humor die now? ;)

Last edited: