Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IDK, they're going to reveal the specs on 3/14.
Not sure the'll bump up the battery capacity in the middle of the ramp up.
Initial specs will be announced. It's no problem if they're surpassed. Telsa routinely upgrades its models during the year w/o waiting for a new model year. Their development cycle is the 'week', not the 'year'.

Which makes Oldsmobiles 'weak'. ;)

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and Unpilot
Yes, that too, particularly lease terminations.

Landlords to Tesla: You’re Still on the Hook for Your Store Leases

Tesla "is a company with a viable balance sheet that is going to owe a lot of landlords a lot of money," said Robert Taubman, chief executive officer of Taubman Centers Inc., at the Citi 2019 Global Property CEO conference in Hollywood, Fla., this week...

"Only a month ago, Tesla signed a new lease at Santa Monica Place in California that goes through 2025. As recently as last month, Tesla was negotiating and signing leases, according to executives at Taubman and Macerich.

Retail tenants generally can't break their leases without penalty unless certain conditions are met, like a retailer files for bankruptcy protection or the shopping center suffers from persistent vacancies that allows a tenant to leave before the lease expires. Mall tenant leases typically run five to 10 years...
Tesla has more flexibility with staff reductions such as delaying RIFs for 60 days to comply with WARN acts, and re-training the best employees for re-positioning/re-location. There could be some offsets; since, in my experience, many store employees are allowed to drive test drive vehicles for commuting and other personal uses.

Retail sales of energy generation and storage would seem to be adversely affected, but those products may be production-constrained

Why couldn't Tesla simply sublease those stores to subtenants?

The WSJ has made the brilliant observation that no, landlords don't let you just walk away from leases. I haven't read it all because I won't pay for WSJ and I'm sure it's full of garbage, but here's an actual estimate of what this will cost. There's four ways out of a commercial lease:

1) lease expires soon
2) lease has an exit clause
3) make a deal with the landlord
4) sublet

I'm guessing between these four possibilities they'll end up paying on average 8 months per lease
I'm guessing the leases average $20,000/ month

So if they close 100 stores immediately they would take a charge of $16M.

Not a chance that SR pack is based on the LR pack. Tesla didn't invest all that CapEx on the new football field sized Grohmann machine at GF1 to not use it. Indeed, the new pack is critical to the profitability of the Model 3 SR.

Further, its trivial for the new Grohman pack building machine to produce the SR/SR+ packs with different numbers of cells. They've already proven this with the LR/MR pack.

Finally, Tesla CAN NOT afford to give away a 10% margin on battery cells for the SR. The mere fact that Tesla chose to produce the first run of Model 3s as SRs rather than SR+s means they aren't giving away money on free battery cells (and that the base model is already profitable).

The software limited packs have ALWAYS been a demand lever. Tesla has no shortage of demand for the Model 3 SR. And it DOES NOT have a software limited pack.

Cheers!

I was talking about SR+, not SR above. I'd say 80%+ chance SR+ is currently a depopulated LR pack currently (no software limitation, just excess pack structure) - the new weights on the website line up exactly to this being the case (far too much of a coincidence that a typo on their website could make the weight exactly line up like this), and we know SR+ is currently available while SR is still ramping up. Once the new pack/module line is fully up and running I'm sure they will transition SR+ to the new pack design, probably imminently.
Tesla's website weights also tell us the SR is a software limited SR+ battery, but for this one it could very easily just be a copy paste error on Tesla's part. Still, it is conceivable (but probably <20%) that a LR pack becomes unstable when depopulated down to SR cell count and Tesla are currently selling a software limited SR pack until the new Grohmann line gets running.

Why couldn't Tesla simply sublease those stores to subtenants?
Depends on whether the landlords allow that in the lease contracts. With so much going on, Tesla does not need to staff a real estate operation to administer subleases of small, pricey store fronts in diverse, widely separated markets. It's probably better to try to negotiate a reduction in liquidated damages and move on.

Depends on what their lease contract allows.
Also, those expensive rental leases will tend to be the high traffic locations where Tesla will want to keep Galleries. The bigger saving is actually in letting go the commissioned sales barnacles staff.

The best Tesla sales person is a current owner.

Cheers!

For all the new investors, owners, board members, you should definitely watch this from our member @DaveT interview with Andrea. Miss Andrea so much with all this recent FUD....

Her 4 points to look at:
-design
-battery tech
-manufacturing
-sales

......and TMC is mentioned around minute 54..........
edit:
and it seems to be an old interview, but still salient

Tesla "is a company with a viable balance sheet that is going to owe a lot of landlords a lot of money," said Robert Taubman, chief executive officer of Taubman Centers Inc., at the Citi 2019 Global Property CEO conference in Hollywood, Fla., this week...

Umm Duh?, they owe the landlords the money anyway (that's what a lease contact is...) ...

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

The WSJ has made the brilliant observation that no, landlords don't let you just walk away from leases. I haven't read it all because I won't pay for WSJ and I'm sure it's full of garbage, but here's an actual estimate of what this will cost. There's four ways out of a commercial lease:

1) lease expires soon
2) lease has an exit clause
3) make a deal with the landlord
4) sublet

I'm guessing between these four possibilities they'll end up paying on average 8 months per lease
I'm guessing the leases average $20,000/ month

So if they close 100 stores immediately they would take a charge of $16M.

Updated March 8, 2019 12:13 p.m. ET

Tesla Inc.’s TSLA +1.17% plans to save money by closing most of its retail stores and selling all cars online face a big potential hurdle: Store landlords show no signs of giving the company an easy way out of its leases.

The electric car maker has offered few details about which of its 106 stores and galleries in 26 states it plans to close. Even many shopping center landlords say they have heard nothing from the company about whether their Tesla store will be shut down, according to real-estate brokers and landlords.

What is clearer is how much Tesla owes in future rent payments. The company has total lease obligations of $1.6 billion, with $1.1 billion due between this year and 2023, according to its securities filings. The payments include leases for stores, galleries and other uses including real estate abroad.

In a February securities filing, Tesla said it has “various non-cancellable operating lease agreements,” and any effort by the company to terminate those leases could result in legal battles. Landlords could seek a court injunction to prevent Tesla from closing stores before the lease expiration. Property owners have challenged in court recent efforts by StarbucksCorp. and Kenneth Cole Productions Inc. to break leases.

Tesla “is a company with a viable balance sheet that is going to owe a lot of landlords a lot of money,” said Robert Taubman, chief executive officer of Taubman Centers Inc., at the Citi 2019 Global Property CEO conference in Hollywood, Fla., this week.

His U.S. properties have eight Tesla stores, including ones at the Dolphin Mall in Miami and Cherry Creek Shopping Center in Denver. Tesla also rents space from big mall ownersSimon Property Group and Macerich Co.

A Tesla representative didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Many mall owners said that Tesla stores have produced strong sales numbers and that they were surprised by the car maker’s announcement. Only a month ago, Tesla signed a new lease at Santa Monica Place in California that goes through 2025. As recently as last month, Tesla was negotiating and signing leases, according to executives at Taubman and Macerich.

Retail tenants generally can’t break their leases without penalty unless certain conditions are met, like a retailer files for bankruptcy protection or the shopping center suffers from persistent vacancies that allows a tenant to leave before the lease expires. Mall tenant leases typically run five to 10 years.

“The bottom line is, this is a business of contracts,” said Don Wood, CEO at Federal Realty Investment Trust, who indicated that landlords will enforce their contracts and expect Tesla to honor its obligations. Federal Realty owns two shopping centers with Tesla leases.

The Secret to Why a Tesla Costs So Much (Hint: Batteries)

One of the biggest things preventing Elon Musk from releasing a mass market electric vehicle comes down to the vehicle's blessing and curse: its lithium-ion battery. We break down the science and the cost.
Tesla tends to occupy prime locations in malls and often brings cache to the shopping center. The company’s sales stores and galleries, which are showrooms where people can view the cars but can’t buy them on-site, typically occupy 2,000 to 4,000 square feet with a couple of cars and a handful of employees.

The car maker hopes to save money from the store closings, and it could use the cash. As of Dec. 31, it had $3.7 billion in cash and equivalents on its books, with more than $5 billion in accounts payable and accrued liabilities, as well as nearly $10 billion in long-term debt. Another $541 million of debt is due in November, according to FactSet.

While Tesla has reported two consecutive quarters of profit to end 2018, the company said it is moving all sales—including the $35,000 version of its Model 3 sedanto online only, which will allow the car maker to be “financially sustainable.”

Real-estate brokers speculated that Tesla may keep its most high-traffic stores, and even stores that close wouldn’t be as devastating a blow to mall landlords. Some also suggested that Tesla stores may have already served their purpose for the company.

“It’s like an expensive billboard to get the name out to people,” said Scott Holmes, national director of the retail division at Marcus & Millichap, a real-estate services and consulting firm. “Tesla believes that it has received benefit from that.”

LOL. Do you know what kind of people in the administration have security clearance ?

BTW, presidential candidates are proudly saying they smoked Marijuana.

This doesn't matter. Someone in EM's position should know marijuana is illegal per federal law regardless of any lenient state law. Hasn't he noticed that people are out to get him? He needs a minder.
Extensive research complete - here is my full report on the Tesla killers that came out of Geneva this year:

A lot to take in I know - I will let you chew on that.

The ID Lounge might have legs. Reveal in April at the Shanghai auto show.

Malls in general are struggling. Sublets may not be easy to find. Maybe the malls where Tesla is are an exception.

Making a deal with the landlord is by far the most common way out of commercial leases. On the leases with more than a few years remaining they'll probably have to pay around a year's rent. It's especially bad for companies like Tesla where they're closing stores but not going bankrupt. If you don't have an escape clause (which are usually a year or more anyway), there's absolutely nothing you can do to get out of a commercial lease.

• Informative
Reactions: lklundin