Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT

OK. You want to go to space? Check out the new guys SpaceX is sending to ISS.

The proposed historic Axiom Mission 1 (Ax-1) will consist of: former NASA astronaut and Axiom vice president Michael López-Alegría as commander; American entrepreneur and non-profit activist investor Larry Connoras pilot; Canadian investor and philanthropist Mark Pathy; and impact investor and philanthropist Eytan Stibbe of Israel.

Just just FYI. AMD reported earnings and I noticed this

" Fourth quarter net income included an income tax benefit of $1.30 billion associated with a valuation allowance release, which contributed $1.06 to EPS."

So this tax benefit in which some people are anticipating of happening tomorrow during earnings tricked the algro computers into bidding AMD stock up to 99 before later correcting itself. So just a warning if people might get super excited and then later find the gains to be erased tomorrow.

Just just FYI. AMD reported earnings and I noticed this

" Fourth quarter net income included an income tax benefit of $1.30 billion associated with a valuation allowance release, which contributed $1.06 to EPS."

So this tax benefit in which some people are anticipating of happening tomorrow during earnings tricked the algro computers into bidding AMD stock up to 99 before later correcting itself. So just a warning if people might get super excited and then later find the gains to be erased tomorrow.
Even worse. They beat earnings, they beat revenue and projected a strong year. Still at the same share price as they started the day and down a couple percent from where they traded most of the day.

I don't think Elon cares but unless Tesla crushes rather than beat expectations I don't see much upside from tomorrows report.

Hope I'm wrong.

Even worse. They beat earnings, they beat revenue and projected a strong year. Still at the same share price as they started the day and down a couple percent from where they traded most of the day.

I don't think Elon cares but unless Tesla crushes rather than beat expectations I don't see much upside from tomorrows report.

Hope I'm wrong.
Well AMD is a simmer. I have seen so many AH bumps just to be eroded away the next day by profit takers. Hopefully we see a steady climb because every analyst on the call was impressed and about to hit them with some upgrades.

Edit: Up from 146 to 224 since Elons tweet. That's gotta be another couple of billion of losses for the shorts.
This is the greatest entertainment ever.

I bought 40 shares yesterday @ $96 just to screw with the shorts too. :p

For a lot of people now, it isn't even about the money.

Exactly! I don't care if I lose it all. How often do you get to screw with short sellers, instead of the other way around?

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 7.51.30 PM.png

Umm. Tesla?
Come on Chamath, you know you want more.

"They expect me to come home with my tail between my legs, but I won't do it. I'd sooner get melvined out here in the middle of nowhere than lose face in front of my friends and family again."

"Melvined? What the hell is that?"

"You know, melvined, uh... to be up a creek without a paddle, to- to have the whole world in the palm of your hand and then blow it, you know. It's a figure of speech."

"Melvined?"

Disclaimer: I'm not a shareholder and don't think QS is a particularly good investment in terms of risk/reward at this stage. But it is a relevant topic here because an investor needs to keep an eye on companies invested in (TSLA) and staying abreast of developments around batteries is certainly a good part of that.

I don't think Quantumscape is "scammy", I watched their main investor presentation and my analysis is the shareholder lawsuit is not going to go anywhere beyond giving the lawyer-dogs just enough money to let go of their legs. These kind of lawsuits happen all the time. It's natural for young, pre-revenue companies to present a bullish picture of the facts. They know it will take billions in funding if they are ever to commercialize in volume and naturally that will be easier to do with a higher share price and more people on board.

I do think QS made it sound like commercialization was easier/sooner than is likely to happen but they are allowed to do that with forward-looking statements (they are just a guess and they don't have to be correct guesses). I actually thought they did a good job of sticking to the facts (as far as I could determine what the facts were). Their biggest sins were sins of omission, but I really don't think that's actionable here. For this suit to be successful they would need evidence and proof that the principles actively misled. I think that's going to be hard to come by.
Agreed... I was trying to make the point that the suit was more suspicious than QS, given JB's involvement...

• Helpful
Reactions: StealthP3D and JRP3
View attachment 631009
Umm. Tesla?
Come on Chamath, you know you want more.
I don't think we can give him 130% in a day. I bet he had an idea Elon wouldn't be able to stay away from commenting and knew there was a good chance he might provide an extra push.

Someone mentioned profits from this eventually coming to Tesla. Not so sure, Believe it or not Tesla is considered established and to stable by most on wsb now. Yeah, that didn't take long. They will look for the next potential stock that can double in a day or two. The do like Elon and might use Tesla to park funds for awhile but as soon as another target is found Tesla is out again.

Something everyone here might not be aware of is that while we here hate the shorts, the wsb gang hates financial institutions in general. Not the shorts in particular. Up until this summer or so there was a constant war between bears and bulls on the subreddit and while some bears probably lost everything and left everyone else just switched to bulls as the market kept going up. Whenever it starts down most will switch back.

• Informative
Reactions: dww12 and capster
Someone mentioned profits from this eventually coming to Tesla. Not so sure, Believe it or not Tesla is considered established and to stable by most on wsb now. Yeah, that didn't take long. They will look for the next potential stock that can double in a day or two. The do like Elon and might use Tesla to park funds for awhile but as soon as another target is found Tesla is out again.

I'll settle for some of those profits coming to Tesla the traditional way: ordering Tesla products. Which I think is pretty likely.

Pushing the stock is great and all, but advancing the mission works, too.

So basically earnings does very little. Seems like P&D has more to do with moving the sp than earnings minus stock split/S&P 500
I guess we shouldn't expect too much tomorrow unless gross margins just absolutely destroys and the 4680 cells are ahead of schedule. Also I think a new Elon compensation package with trillion dollar market cap milestones would work wonders for the stock.

tsla_vs_sp500_total_return-31fc2e6e5d6b4a828ca72daaf0fa26bd.png

sorry if repost

Elon Musk says he's 'super fired up' for fighting climate change with Joe Biden

-Elon Musk is 'super fired up' about President Joe Biden's focus on the environment and wants to find a way to help out on the administration's initiatives for expanding green energy and fighting climate change, the billionaire CEO told Fortune Magazine.

-"I think this is great. I feel very optimistic about the future of sustainable energy with the new administration," Musk told Fortune of the Biden team's plans, joking to the outlet that he wants to make contact with the administration but knows they've been busy in their first week in office. "Not that we should get complacent or anything, but the wind is at our back for solving the climate crisis with the new administration."

This is reference to Fortune Magazine Article interview with Musk. (paywall that I dont have access)

Personally I hope Elon steers clear of the government's desire to go electric. Around 400k of the governments 645k are specialized vehicles (military and mail trucks). Tesla doesn't need the distraction. Perhaps some portion of the remaining 250k vehicles can be converted to Model Y or Model 3 but anything that requires Tesla to spend time and effort on custom projects doesn't help the bigger picture.

Perhaps Tesla can work with the government on solar initiatives or other green projects but I hope they stay away from government fleet.

I guess we shouldn't expect too much tomorrow unless gross margins just absolutely destroys and the 4680 cells are ahead of schedule.

TSLA normally trades flat or falls a bit after earnings, even good earnings. That's fine, long term it doesn't matter to me if we consolidate for a bit. I'm more interested in the actual numbers tomorrow, how much the margins increased and what the guidance for 2021 is.

So basically earnings does very little. Seems like P&D has more to do with moving the sp than earnings minus stock split/S&P 500
I guess we shouldn't expect too much tomorrow unless gross margins just absolutely destroys and the 4680 cells are ahead of schedule. Also I think a new Elon compensation package with trillion dollar market cap milestones would work wonders for the stock.

tsla_vs_sp500_total_return-31fc2e6e5d6b4a828ca72daaf0fa26bd.png

Q4 2019 earnings was the spark that lit the rocket o_Oo_Oo_O