Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

giphy-downsized.gif

A true dip will take this into the 50DMA.

As much as we do not want to think about it, WS is in a sticky wicket and future booms depend on them extricating themselves without crashing everything.

There will be casualties. I hope on Monday or next week so we can bury this with minimal damage and move on. I will keep my opinions to my self as to what may happen.

But If not, then when and how?

Only reason I mention the 50.

Not an advice.
Seconded. I’m getting the feeling that there are a lot of interconnected houses of cards on the Street that are being shaken.

That said, I’ll continue to do what I’ve been doing: HODL.

Not advice.

Last edited:
A short chat from today... We still have long way to go.

Neighbour: My husband got 8 of Tesla shares not long ago.
Me: Great!
N: He's already sold 4 as he had 100% gains.
Me: Why????
N: Tesla shares are super overvalued! Better have those sold now than lose (all) the money.
Me: Crickets....
N: Where do they make those EV cars?
Me: Freemont, Shanghai, ... soon Giga Berlin, Giga Texas. Have you seen any of those, utube perhaps???
N: What? No. I've heard GM is going to have plenty of EVs.
Me: Nice talking to you.

/OT

I'm finding some of the commentary about the steering yoke, in the media, and on social media very comical.

People are sure it is not legal and unsafe, and that Tesla has tossed it on at a whim, without checking the safety regulations.

In all cases these people:-
  1. Haven't tried it
  2. Probably don't know the law.
  3. Haven't thought about how it could work.
From a quick Google check on laws, I found no definite evidence it would be illegal anywhere.

As to how it could work, it could have a variable ratio which other cars have had in the past. FSD also knows the speed the car is travelling and the curvature of the road. When Autopilot is engaged, FSD has to take corners. So if it has a variable ratio, FSD can assist in choosing the right ratio for the situation.

Next we come to the turn signals and a thought experiment I did yesterday, IMO there is a good chance I can hit these signals with my thumb without taking my hand off the wheel, or by not taking my hand far off the wheel. I also think with practice there is some chance I can hit the turn signals without looking at them hence not taking my eyes off the road.

If that is correct, I hope the most important controls on the other side of the wheel are closest to normal hand position.

As to exactly how well this would all work, I would have to try it.

So now I've seen four or five articles about what I posted "first." How the Steering yoke seems to have been done so it can "collapse" into the dash out of the way once FSD is FSD.
And I guess none of em saw my post...but I gotta give this guy credit... He went one better by understanding that the lack of Turn indicator stalks on the column also supported the idea that the steering yoke is going to disappear (into the dash).
And as to the stalks being removed...I love it. Car companies have been getting STOOPID with them and the NHTSA hasn't stopped them. I am actually a danger to other drivers when I go to drive my wife's Toyota....the damn thing has the most complicated cruise control. You either have to push in or slap up or whatever... you have to do two things to the stalk just to engage cruise control. And I cuss the whole damn time. Bring on FSD. All of the people that share the road with me will love it.
Tesla is priming customers for a disappearing steering wheel

A short chat from today... We still have long way to go.

Neighbour: My husband got 8 of Tesla shares not long ago.
Me: Great!
N: He's already sold 4 as he had 100% gains.
Me: Why????
N: Tesla shares are super overvalued! Better have those sold now than lose (all) the money.
Me: Crickets....
N: Where do they make those EV cars?
Me: Freemont, Shanghai, ... soon Giga Berlin, Giga Texas. Have you seen any of those, utube perhaps???
N: What? No. I've heard GM is going to have plenty of EVs.
Me: Nice talking to you.

/OT
People really like staying poor for whatever reason.

Automakers openly declare going full throttle EV.
The masses learning about the dirty manipulative tactics of short sellers and the incompetence (Soon the corruption) of SEC and other regulatory bodies that protect their own.

Man, when I tried to defend TSLA's story, ppl accused me of being a conspiracy theorist on the level of QAnon. In just a few days I was proven correct. I even managed to declare what will happen next, the day before it happens to these ppl yet they were all still blind to the fact.

Anyway, it all highlights to the fact that it is pointless to try to change ppl's point of view. I get baited into proving TSLA's point of view too much because I am too attached to the topic. But this is the good type of vindication.

So now I've seen four or five articles about what I posted "first." How the Steering yoke seems to have been done so it can "collapse" into the dash out of the way once FSD is FSD.
And I guess none of em saw my post...but I gotta give this guy credit... He went one better by understanding that the lack of Turn indicator stalks on the column also supported the idea that the steering yoke is going to disappear (into the dash).
And as to the stalks being removed...I love it. Car companies have been getting STOOPID with them and the NHTSA hasn't stopped them. I am actually a danger to other drivers when I go to drive my wife's Toyota....the damn thing has the most complicated cruise control. You either have to push in or slap up or whatever... you have to do two things to the stalk just to engage cruise control. And I cuss the whole damn time. Bring on FSD. All of the people that share the road with me will love it.
Tesla is priming customers for a disappearing steering wheel

Dang, that’s the easy part. Try setting the date/time. I had a rented VW TD something for a week while my recovered stolen van was being fixed. I had to go on YouTube and watch a 10 minute video on how to set the time in the car. Then I had to watch the video a second while I was IN the car. :rolleyes:

As an FYI - I have heard people in various online forums saying or implying that the elimination of the turn signal stalks on the steering wheel is some devious Elon plot, alongside implications as to their legality; as well as general opposition to this idea.

This is not a new idea. These were found at least as far back as 12 years ago in 2009 when Ferrari launched them on the 2010 Ferrari 458.

The purpose of this was to be able to have your hands not leave the wheel - particularly when driving enthusiastically. Another benefit is that the signals are always available to your hands on the wheel regardless of how much it is turned.

ferrari-458-interior.jpg

Last edited:
As an FYI - I have heard people in various online forums saying or implying that the elimination of the turn signal stalks on the steering wheel is some devious Elon plot, alongside implications as to their legality; as well as general opposition to this idea.

This is not a new idea. These were found at least as far back as 12 years ago in 2009 when Ferrari launched them on the 2010 Ferrari 458.

The purpose of this was to be able to have your hands not leave the wheel - particularly when driving enthusiastically. Another benefit is that the signals are always available to your hands on the wheel regardless of how much it is turned.

ferrari-458-interior.jpg
Man, that Ferrari-yellow tach is cool.

I always felt Tesla should come up with various (legal) instantiations of a virtual instrument cluster on the display, kind of like how the Apple Watch has various face options.

ferrari-458-interior.jpg

As someone who loves sim-racing in VR and who uses both round and F1 (similar to the yoke) steering wheels I fully endorse your comment about operating the buttons without having to remove my hands from the wheel. Quite handy with a VR headset (can’t see my hands nor my driving rig) on in a race with little room for error.

Another thing I like about the Tesla yoke that I haven’t seen anyone mention yet is better places to rest hands on the wheel when in autopilot. In particular the horizontal handrests at the bottom look perfect and with less twisting of the wrist than with a round wheel - I just tried playing around with that position while driving today. No, the bottom is not the ideal 3 and 9 but when driving for 12 hours, I do sometimes move my hands around a bit. ;)

BTW if I had to have buttons and gauges, this Ferrari looks really nice and functional. Very appealing.

I'm finding some of the commentary about the steering yoke, in the media, and on social media very comical.

People are sure it is not legal and unsafe, and that Tesla has tossed it on at a whim, without checking the safety regulations.

To be fair- the regulators themselves say Tesla didn't check with them first and that they can't say for sure yet if it's legal or not.

So it's not especially comical- it's a perfectly valid thing to point out.

A Road and Track story about this very thing quoting the NHTSA said:
"At this time, NHTSA cannot determine if the steering wheel meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards," the agency told R&T. "We will be reaching out to the automaker for more information."

This wouldn't be the first time Tesla showed a demo picture with hardware it's not actually legal to sell (like the Cybertruck without side mirrors).

And we've already had folks find pictures of a refreshed S with a "normal" round wheel poking around the website too.

2021.5 Tesla Model S: Proof a Round Steering Wheel Option Might Exist!

To be fair- the regulators themselves say Tesla didn't check with them first and that they can't say for sure yet if it's legal or not.

So it's not especially comical- it's a perfectly valid thing to point out.

This wouldn't be the first time Tesla showed a demo picture with hardware it's not actually legal to sell (like the Cybertruck without side mirrors).

And we've already had folks find pictures of a refreshed S with a "normal" round wheel poking around the website too.

2021.5 Tesla Model S: Proof a Round Steering Wheel Option Might Exist!

Yes, I think a round wheel probably will be an option at some stage.

My main point is people seem to be assuming or hoping it will not work, rather than thinking how it can work.

The regulators (MHTSA) probably gave a standard query response, Tesla didn't contact them because there is no pressing need to.

In Australia illegal steering wheels (apparently) are:-
  • Quick release steering wheels.
  • Steering wheels without an airbag, especially if the standard wheel on that vehicle has an airbag.
We are not experts on road safety laws and regulations, neither are the journalists writing these articles.

But I find it most unlikely that Tesla doesn't know the rules, or ignores the rules. Tesla pushing the limits of the rules for good reasons is likely. When they have the Model S/X day, I'm sure we will hear the reasons, and they probably will be good reasons.

After doing a search through FMVSS legislation, I found amazingly few requirements regarding steering wheels. Main item was rearward displacement in a crash.

Seems regulators could check themselves, just like Tesla most likely did.

This morning my son told me to check out the GM site and also the Chevy site.

How should I put it? The rebranded GM site is now all rainbows and unicorns.

The Chevy site, um, isn’t. Still just "Get your giant rolling oil-burners here!"

GM: Pushing the Limits of Transportation & Technology (Pushing the limits of credibility more like. Sigh, but Washington will pretend to fall for it and shovel more money into the furnace.)
Chevrolet Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Crossovers and Vans
Of course. That way "GM" can pretend they are transitioning and that they care about EVs, while they also keep promoting and selling their gas guzzlers.

They took a chance and left NYC gambling on a supercharger becoming energized "out west" on the route and won,
making the 1st (FIRST) transcontinental voyage in a Tesla S a week or so before the Tesla folks did the trip west to east.

I wanted to ask you a question off-line but it looks like you have blocked all communication. Maybe I just don't know how to do it.

Hadn't anyone done the coast to coast trip (albeit a bit slower) by using private chargers, 50 amp campground outlets and 30 amp motel outlets?

Just curious because it wouldn't have been too difficult.