Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, tough question, need help. I've been dismissing the chip shortage issue recently bc of all the sightings and car movement, but I ran across some info last night that's still bugging me. There's a specific motion chip shortage by uChip (LSM6DSM), one of the best out there. I don't know which one is in Tesla vehicles, but I'll quote a Github motion expert who evaluates many motion chips:
"LSM6DSM is simply the best performing accel/gyro available now, but ICM20602 is pretty close. If you don't like ST then use the TDK accel/gyro."​
So for the past month, designers might have been reworking their systems using some alternate motion sensor like TDK. While a company like Tesla could rework a test board in a day or two, I do wonder about the code change requiring a very thorough review perhaps.

I am in this same situation using an older inertial sensor, but would rather take the power hit now vs migrating into a new motion chip because it impacts code quite a bit. Now my chip is almost sold out from 10's of thousands available earlier this year. These motion chips go in everything, exploding market actually if you're interested in tech investments. Smart machines all need one at least.

So, anyone care to convince me this didn't happen to Tesla? That the new vehicle ordering delays on the east coast are normal and have nothing to do with production.

Ok, tough question, need help. I've been dismissing the chip shortage issue recently bc of all the sightings and car movement, but I ran across some info last night that's still bugging me. There's a specific motion chip shortage by uChip (LSM6DSM), one of the best out there. I don't know which one is in Tesla vehicles, but I'll quote a Github motion expert who evaluates many motion chips:
"LSM6DSM is simply the best performing accel/gyro available now, but ICM20602 is pretty close. If you don't like ST then use the TDK accel/gyro."​
So for the past month, designers might have been reworking their systems using some alternate motion sensor like TDK. While a company like Tesla could rework a test board in a day or two, I do wonder about the code change requiring a very thorough review perhaps.

I am in this same situation using an older inertial sensor, but would rather take the power hit now vs migrating into a new motion chip because it impacts code quite a bit. Now my chip is almost sold out from 10's of thousands available earlier this year. These motion chips go in everything, exploding market actually if you're interested in tech investments. Smart machines all need one at least.

So, anyone care to convince me this didn't happen to Tesla? That the new vehicle ordering delays on the east coast are normal and have nothing to do with production.

IF this chip thing is real we'd have heard much more noise about factory shutdowns.

TBH though I feel like if vehicle production was to shut down and present a battery surplus that if tesla just made a ton of powerwalls and megapacks their margins on the quarter would rocket. I don't believe this is happening though

Reactions: SOULPEDL
US 10Y Auctioned at 1.523%.
Bloomberg -
- Everything seems average and went smoothly
- Market balanced with a range of opinions
- Doesn't paint picture of runaway inflation
- TSLA: Yesterday was a bit of an anomaly; markets are evaluating landscape with long term rates hitting growth stocks

Last edited:
Seems NorthVolt acquired Home , and VW owns 60% of NorthVolt.
So looks like this is what part of VW March 15th Power Day will be about ..

(Market will likely manufacture a dip out of the VW Power Day ...)
“Northvolt, which was founded by former Tesla TSLA, -0.97% employee Peter Carlsson in 2016 and is 40% owned by Volkswagen Group VOW, +10.90%, said Cuberg’s batteries would be deployed in electric aircraft within three years, and in cars by 2025.“ Got this from an article today so is 60% correct?

Reactions: elasalle
IF this chip thing is real we'd have heard much more noise about factory shutdowns.

TBH though I feel like if vehicle production was to shut down and present a battery surplus that if tesla just made a ton of powerwalls and megapacks their margins on the quarter would rocket. I don't believe this is happening though
Margins are better on Megapacks and PWs? Great point then. But that's not what we'd read in the papers. The audience is counting cars still I think. When will they learn...

I have been thinking that as the battery cell areas becomes structural, does the term “pack” still apply. The best pack is no pack. Just structure.
Nonetheless there's a non-zero effort and cost associated with taking 1000's of individual cells and assimilating them in to what can be thought of as a "pack": physical assembly, electrical connections, thermal management, BMS installation, etc...

While the "container" for the above may be a honeycomb chassis that then is bonded as part a structural member rather than a set of modules in a casing, all of the above will be necessary to go from raw cells to a "car ready" assembly. Thus "pack" cost would still be more than just raw cell cost. It wouldn't surprise me if Tesla will lower the "pack" portion of the cost as a result of the architectural change, however...

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy and Jovian
I think we will consolidate a bit here. The good thing is yields have kind of settled for now. The biggest stock I am watching is AAPL which has remained stuck under 120. I think AAPL moving higher will lead the next charge. Last quarter was hurtful for mega cap in a particular way that their big backers sold off (buffet for aapl and Ron baron & BG for tesla). So for now I guess it is consolidation before we move up.
Disclaimer: I am not a technical analyst and I am using technical terms like “consolidation” mostly in a qualitative way.