Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I'm so glad that Tesla employee turned him in instead of taking the money!

But with an bribe of $1M by a Russian, I don't think it takes an over-active imagination to surmise this guy was funded at the highest levels by the oligarchs in Russia (who are basically the most powerful people in government for all practical purposes). The entire country, and especially the billionaire oligarchs, are heavily dependent upon oil and gas extraction and sales to maintain the status quo.

The Tesla employee should get a special award even though he just did the right thing. If that software had been installed on Tesla's internal computers undetected, there's no telling what kind of havoc evil oil and gas interests could have wreaked.

I see Tesla starting with the manufacture of LFP 4680 cells in India as early as 2023.

If we assume there is a Roadrunner "A Team" that does these factory install the schedule is:-
  1. 2020 Fremont
  2. 2021 Austin
  3. 2022 Berlin
  4. 2023 India (probably overly optimistic, might do more in the US /EU first)
I have India as the 4th highest priority partially because I have LFP 4680 cells as very high priority.
But they may make 4680 LFP cells at a separate facility in Austin or the EU first.
I also don't know about raw materials for LFP 4680 cells in India.

Those 4680 LFP cells are going into Megapacks and Powerpacks initially and can definitely be exported.
Tesla can make a cheaper 4680 LFP backed version of the Powerwall perhaps with lower capacity, that could be made in India and exported.

The next step IMO, is Indian version of the Semi with LFP 4680 cells.
They can make the frame, the packs and perhaps some of the cab in India, initially importing motors and electrical components.

No one commented on the market for Trucks in India, using LFP means lower range and lesser cargo capacity.
There are a lot of trucks in India, some probably driving local routes.
They can import high-nickel 4680 cells for longer range trucking.

Give the Tesla India team some ability to design and optimize variants of the truck architecture.

The we come to a 25K Robo-taxi (without radar) this should have a 4680 LFP pack and castings.
Castings and stamped parts can initially be imported, (if necessary) the tasks required are:-
  1. Body shop
  2. Paint
  3. GA
The next step is probably for Tesla India to start making motors.

While the Robo-taxi might have FSD hardware, it can operate as a regular Taxi with a driver, for as long as required.
Once cars with FSD hardware have been driving for several million miles on India roads, Tesla will have a better idea what is required to make FSD work in India.
By that time Tesla will have Dojo and perhaps specialized NN training for India.
You left out Solar Panel and Solar Roof manufacturing to complement storage products for both local consumption and export. I think that would be right up there with batteries.

Solar and Batteries look to be well ahead of any potential to justify vehicle production for the local buyers. The video touched on the low annual vehicle sales and average cost. A minuscule market for Tesla vehicles, despite high population density. Add to that the low ratio of households that own a vehicle and the local market doesn't exactly scream for production to deliver enough for a factory at this time.

Boring Co. might have a place there to relieve congestion in key areas.

Add to that the low ratio of households that own a vehicle and the local market doesn't exactly scream for production to deliver enough for a factory at this time.

It seems to me, a lot of the media experts start from the assumption that things can't change, and problems can't be overcome.

The alternative way of thinking is to identify opportunities, and then slowly work to have the right products available at the right price, at the right time.

India has to start with Solar and Batteries, but there are also opportunities for modest amounts of vehicle sales, slowly growing brand recognition and working on products better suited to the local market.

In truth India is very diverse, people have all sorts of different incomes and asset levels, different regions of the county can be very different in terms of the local income levels and infrastructure.

We are all aware of "time in the market" , in this case what is needed is "time in the country".

Solar and Batteries, especially batteries have the potential to be profitable, both in the local market and when exported. Any vehicle program can start out relatively modest and also have an export component.

Tesla India might be the reverse of Tesla US, Tesla Energy will be far bigger than Automotive for a long time,

But like Tesla Energy in the US, Automotive in India can gradually grow a presence,

Exciting, but actually more conservative than I was expecting. which might actually be a good thing.
$0 from energy, $0 from licensing, $0 from any software other than FSD

Their Monte Carlo simulation outputs have prices going upward of $28k/share. I’m going to enjoy poking through the excel models over the weekend.

I love the fact that it’s conservative and yet their bull case is a 6x in 5 years with the expected case being a 5x.

Now just imagine 2030.

$0 from energy, $0 from licensing, $0 from any software other than FSD

Their Monte Carlo simulation outputs have prices going upward of $28k/share. I’m going to enjoy poking through the excel models over the weekend.

I love the fact that it’s conservative and yet their bull case is a 6x in 5 years with the expected case being a 5x.

Now just imagine 2030.

$0 from Dojo as a service

Ooohhh $15K of free fuel!

With the teeny tiny catch that there is hardly anywhere to fuel it, and when you get to the station, they're all out.

Toyota exec
1iu76w.jpg