Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As crazy as it sounds.....we should think of it as tokens having a choice between TSLA, BTC, and 1.6%. I think people are underestimating the amount of tokens that usually cycle thru the fossil fuel world and now consider that to be near zero return or not an option at all. That's a big token bucket out of the equation.

We had a moment there of "OIL IS BACK!" hype, but reality has set in a mere 2 months later. If that now semi-disproven hype is what helped drag the 10yr up, certainly today's oil futures reality should help drag it back down. That's my stupid logic anyway.

I get the Bitcoin aspect, but thinking about Starlink and worldwide GDP:

World GDP over time: World GDP over the last two millennia

Current Internet Speeds: List of countries by Internet connection speeds - Wikipedia

Future Internet Speeds: Musk: Starlink will hit 300Mbps and expand to “most of Earth” this year

Internet Speed vs. GDP by WorldBank: http://pubdocs.worldbank.org/en/391...ween-Broadband-and-Economic-Growth-Minges.pdf

Dunno how Bitcoin (and many other industries) will change as a result of having so much of the world accessing top-tier level Internet speeds very, very soon.

Methinks you give folks like Fred at Electrek too much credit. Even most of the EV-specific sites don't really demonstrate much in-depth knowledge of technical detail. It's much more event coverage, release dates, and feature coverage than "let's do some math and understand the underlying technology" in order to check the work of manufacturers.

How many of those sites can tell you what the relationship between power vs voltage and current are? Or can calculate the capability of a charger having a power rating with a peak voltage above the max pack voltage, when taking in to account the current the charger is rated for?

Not many. You get that in some technical deep-dives on YouTube and amongst a precious few here on the forums.
"Exciting new 350kW charging unit VW. Are any of your vehicles, current or pending, capable of charging at this rate? For how long?"

That's not too terribly deep or technical IMO. It's more about keeping the customer happy it seems, customers being their advertisers. Something we're quite familiar with as TSLA investors.

I get the Bitcoin aspect, but thinking about Starlink and worldwide GDP:

World GDP over time: World GDP over the last two millennia

Current Internet Speeds: List of countries by Internet connection speeds - Wikipedia

Future Internet Speeds: Musk: Starlink will hit 300Mbps and expand to “most of Earth” this year

Internet Speed vs. GDP by WorldBank: http://pubdocs.worldbank.org/en/391...ween-Broadband-and-Economic-Growth-Minges.pdf

Dunno how Bitcoin (and many other industries) will change as a result of having so much of the world accessing top-tier level Internet speeds very, very soon.
I'm just waiting to see which color one-piece uniform I get issued. Probably deep red on black.

"Exciting new 350kW charging unit VW. Are any of your vehicles, current or pending, capable of charging at this rate? For how long?"

That's not too terribly deep or technical IMO. It's more about keeping the customer happy it seems, customers being their advertisers. Something we're quite familiar with as TSLA investors.
You’re not wrong except it comes off a lot like blaming the victim for being robbed because they were wearing their best duds giving the impression ‘we be rich, rob us’.

Yes, everyone in the biz should be fact checking if they want to be taken seriously. However, the first line of responsibility lies with the mouth that started it all. It’s not okay to give Porsche a pass because they’ve lied before, therefore—

Billionaires have no useful perspective on what's next.

Dunno what you're referring to, but if reusable rockets and starships do work out...the tea kettle that is Planet Earth should expand out to Space. No more potential whistle or hissing, IMO. Tons of opportunity for Trillionaires...if you case about such things.

It's just a LOT on Elon Musk's plate, IMO.

Reactions: capster
Picked up 25 chairs on today's climb. Not surprised if we don't see the 700 again this week (echo'd). I've been trading the same 50 In/Out for weeks now... which is why I think 650-700 has been the day-trader's delight.

Q1 P&D (delivery) numbers are nearing and that adds to the Beta I think. An Investment Banker at Chase yesterday explained to me about Beta bc all my investments have high Beta which drives him nuts, lol (TSLA, ARCK, a little GBTC, and cash). Like every one of my friends, they think I'm just lucky and I should get out now... as I reply "And invest in what?"

They gave Taycan owners the option of lowering charging speed from 270kW to 200kW.

If you care more about speed keep it at 270kW.

You care more about long term battery health then lower it to 200kW.
I guess we’ll find out if Porsche changes the default to 200kW in the future.
This is a perfect example of other companies being years behind Tesla on this. The sales team pushed the engineering team outside their expertise here. Everyone thinks Porsche charges at 350kW, meanwhile they were at 270 and dropping quietly. Sneaky.

Great thinking, when would they accept TSLA as payment?
Asking for a friend...
All payment choices suggest that the buyer choose to use the payment which they believe will appreciate the least, no? Which is most likely to be worth less in the future, $, BTC, or TSLA? I would personally recommend using $....

I’m one of the most bullish TMCers when it comes to Bitcoin but this move from Elon is causing anxiety.

1.) BTC has the potential to plummet down to 25K. It would start to create losses on vehicle sales. I don’t think Tesla sells enough cars with BTC to matter but the bears will assume all 800k cars delivered this year was all in BTC.

2.) State governments will want their pound of flesh. Is the tax and registration going to be paid in fiat?
Anxiety, maybe....if BTC goes up, this is brilliant. If BTC crashes, this is foolish. Guess we’ll have to see....

Crypto, FSD technical capabilities, Battery Day tech rollout. Would love to be part of these conversations if they were in a place they could be followed without wading through piles of other crap.

Inching out of a pandemic is a great time to think about the downside of having a one-thread discussion forum. A one-thread forum is a chat room, discussion forums are better!
With the new forum requiring me to reply in these blocks/walls of text, it is ugly. It also makes the interaction buttons FAR less useful because if you disagree (or like, or...) with one reply, but the opposite with another, WTH do you click?

Reactions: FireMedic
Headlining Barron's right now: EVs Are Changing the Car Business in More Ways Than You Think

Many new companies are going asset-light, choosing not to spend billions of dollars on new plants and equipment. Instead, the upstarts are relying on others to manufacture their products. It is an idea that has worked well in other industries, but success using an asset-light model in the car business is far from assured.

But a new religion is arising. Apple (ticker: AAPL) is rumored to be considering producing a car, and the Wall Street consensus is that the company will design the vehicle and the software it uses, but won’t build it.

The EV start-up Fisker (FSR) is using Magna International (MGA), an established auto-parts giant, to build its first product, the Fisker Ocean SUV. Fisker has also said that its second car will be built by the company that produces iPhones, Hon Hai Precision Industry (3217.Taiwan), better known as Foxconn. And Nikola (NKLA) has chosen Iveco, a maker of heavy-duty trucks, to make its first battery-powered vehicles.

Musk went so far as to say being the best manufacturing company on earth is the most important thing to Tesla’s long-term success. “Eventually, every car company will have long-range electric cars,” he said. “Eventually, every company will have autonomy, I think, but not every company will be great at manufacturing.”

Dunno what you're referring to, but if reusable rockets and starships do work out...the tea kettle that is Planet Earth will expand out to Space. No more potential whistle or hissing, IMO. Tons of opportunity for Trillionaires...if you case about such things.

It's just a LOT on Elon Musk's plate, IMO.
As we approach and pass peak scarcity, I expect the exact opposite will be true for trillionaires. Hoarding fossil energy or selling people's personal info ain't gonna get you to the 4 comma club! Only the Elon-esque will be floating around up there.

As we approach and pass peak scarcity, I expect the exact opposite will be true for trillionaires. Hoarding fossil energy or selling people's personal info ain't gonna get you to the 4 comma club! Only the Elon-esque will be floating around up there.

Hopefully that never happens! The problem is obviously known for a long time; I think there's a lot smarter people than the both of us out there managing things while we twiddle our thumbs on a internet forum pontificating!

I find it best to enjoy the ride that the heroes are doing like Musk and pay it forward in the future.