Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't find any details. Maybe others have had better luck?
Maybe this: Tesla lawsuit against Rivian claims they're poaching employees and asking them to steal trade secrets - techAU

Stuff like this doesn't look good if true.
When asked to work With one of the Tesla investigators to delete Tesla’s documents from her personal cloud-based storage, Pascale declined, claiming she did not have access to a computer at her residence. In fact, as Tesla later learned, Pascale still had possession of her Tesla laptop—and her husband is an IT professional.
After back and forth, Pascale shared the screen 0f her phone and claimed she had already deleted the documents. Throughout this process, however, Pascale stopped screen sharing several times, preventing Tesla investigators from seeing what she was doing.
Investigators eventually convinced Pascale to search for “Tesla.” When she did, numerous files were briefly visible to Tesla investigators via the screen share, but Pascale abruptly ended the session and said all the remaining files were personal. She then refused to cooperate With any deletions.

Even more harmful to Tesla, Wong took highly sensitive trade secret compensation and bonus information for Tesla sales personnel for use at Rivian—including base pay rates, target bonuses, new hire equity awards, and incentive-based compensation numbers. For example, the
“Tesla Advisor Overview” document that she took had salary rates, equity grants, bonus tiers, and fluctuations therein for various positions and performance levels.

Knowing Tesla’s pay scales would provide Rivian huge competitive advantage in its efforts to poach Tesla’s vehicle sales and service employees as Rivian builds out its business. This also would allow Rivian to unfairly avoid the hard work of developing through trial and error comparably effective compensation structures.

Was nice to see some volume come in..........but that got capped pretty quickly and nicely walked back down. I feel like they're definitely trying to prepare for a rally on Wed/Thurs from Biden EV plan/FOMO buying for Q1 numbers
Yup. Hold $650 if possible this week, but if not they got plenty of runway to keep below $700. Bastardos!

Reactions: NooB_cat
Yup. Hold $650 if possible this week, but if not they got plenty of runway to keep below $700. Bastardos!
Only way we hit 700 this week is if Q1 P/D come in Thursday morning as a surprise and they're great numbers.....which is why I picked my 700/710 Calls for next Friday. I debated on picking up a couple 700 Calls for this week expiration but I think it's a very small chance they release numbers Thursday morning. Maybe I should have just bought 1 or 2 Calls just for the fun of it 😵

Reactions: FireMedic
Was nice to see some volume come in..........but that got capped pretty quickly and nicely walked back down. I feel like they're definitely trying to prepare for a rally on Wed/Thurs from Biden EV plan/FOMO buying for Q1 numbers

This was pretty much sector-wide today rather than TSLA-specific, and yes, agree that it probably has to do with tomorrow.

EDIT to add that today’s action sets up a possible sell the news sector-wide for tomorrow, unless Biden says something unexpectedly bullish. It’s unlikely something like that would be completely unknown at this point but who knows.

Great video about AI from BESTINTESLA I recommend following Lars if you don’t already.

He makes some compelling comparisons and leads to conclusions based on what we’ve seen from past examples of AI/machine learning.

this got me thinking, because in my neighborhood, there are a lot of stop signs...in California many often wave to the oncoming driver, or give a headlight flash to indicate yielding the right of way. Is this universal?

When will we see AI to begin signaling that it’s yielding right of way. seems like low hanging fruit that could be a big time saver. A second here and there saves hours/days of wasted time when extrapolated to a fleet (Like iPhone, not needing a password anymore because of facial recognition).

Last edited:
Bloomberg: Big Oil's Secret World of Trading

Very interesting read, it'll help you understand the source of Tesla FUD, especially in the context of the video Curt Renz posts of Jim Cramer telling an interviewer how his hedge fund moved stock prices around with the help from mainstream media. If you can't connect the dots, there's no help for you, you'll always be moaning about the constant Tesla FUD from CNBS and other mainstream media players. Big Oil makes billions each year just from their trading divisions alone; no better example of chronic insider trading on the planet. Did you know Shell actually started as an oil trader in London in the 19th century, and only later got into production? I didn't.

I'll leave this fun tidbit:
"Last year, for example, Shell’s traders realized that the spreading coronavirus pandemic would have a catastrophic impact on international travel. They decided to bet that demand for jet fuel would collapse. It was a wager almost no other trader in the market could make on the scale that Shell did: Jet fuel is a niche market, dominated by refineries and airlines, and the market for jet fuel derivatives isn’t liquid enough for most traders to bet on easily.

But Shell was well poised. It owns the Pernis refinery in Rotterdam—the largest in Europe, each day pumping out enough gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel to keep half of the cars, trucks, and planes in the Netherlands moving. It supplies jet fuel to Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport.

In early 2020, before air travel shrank, Shell’s traders tweaked Pernis’s production, cutting out jet fuel entirely while increasing output of other refined products. Shell still had contracts to supply jet fuel, however, so the company was left with a big short position: It would have to buy jet fuel in the market to deliver to its customers, whatever the price, if the company’s traders were wrong about the pandemic. If the price went up, Shell stood to lose millions.

Of course, the traders weren’t wrong. Jet fuel demand soon plunged 90% in northwestern Europe. Across Europe, prices fell from $666 a ton at the beginning of the year to $125 a ton by late April. “We could buy jet fuel, make money on that particular trade, and then again reconstitute the products coming out of the refinery to make money elsewhere,” Shell’s van Beurden explained in an earnings call with investors in July. “That’s no ordinary trading. That is actually optimizing market positions that we know better than anybody how to take advantage of.”

Shell didn’t disclose how much money it made on that single trade, but people familiar with the company said that in just the second quarter of 2020, the jet fuel traders made as much as they usually do in a whole year."

I’m not a technical expert, but I like what I see...looking for input.

If we can hold above this $590 area, where it bounced hard against the headwinds of neg. macros; that seems like a strong new resistance.

Feels like we can reverse this bear trend without retesting $550. Higher low on the 30 day chart looks nice to me
Yeah, $550 isn't really in play unless we miss on the P&D numbers.

Then, we could well retest the 200-Day Moving Average. We haven't been at that level since the covid bottom in 2020 Q1 when Fremont had its pause. Before that, last visit with MA(200) was Oct 2019: (Q3 blowout Earnings)

sc.TSLA.2021-03-30.200d-MA.png

Either way, I suspect Q1 Earnings will be good. Bears are gonna be bares, because they're bears. Beers? (hth)

Cheers!

Electrek - 7 minutes ago: Tesla Nevada Semi Goal

Excerpt:

Tesla is building a new Tesla Semi production line at a new building near its Gigafactory Nevada plant, and it plans to produce five electric trucks per week, according to sources familiar with the matter.
Most likely the same thing as with the Cybertruck line at Fremont: working out the kinks of the new production line to get Austin a head start once mass production can begin. As an added bonus they can already deliver some trucks to themselves or key clients (Pepsi?) for real-life testing and claim in the ER they have started deliveries.

This is what $20Bn in the bank will buy you. :)

Auto industry urges Biden to back 'comprehensive' EV plan | Reuters

"The letter from the UAW and two major auto industry trade groups noted there are currently only 1.5 million EVs out of 278 million registered passenger U.S. vehicles.​
“We need a comprehensive plan that takes the present market realities into consideration,” said the letter, which was seen by Reuters. “Neither the current trajectory of consumer adoption of EVs, nor existing levels of federal support for supply- and demand-side policies, is sufficient to meet our goal of a net-zero carbon transportation future.”​

... this particular cat (notice lower case c) kept us companied for nearly 20 years so she is high up there in our esteem.

Lovely. Had a 20+ year old girl that left us 3 years ago. I miss her terribly. Jeeze, seems to be getting dusty in here all of a sudden.

1617129878366.jpeg

Sorry for indulging in OT, but this was important.

CNBC article:

Lexus did not release performance expectations such as range, horsepower or torque. The company said by 2025 it expects its EVs to be capable of more than 370 miles and achieve 0-60 mph in three seconds.
So, Lexus is aiming, by 2025, to be behind where Tesla is today. Got it. HODL.

Last edited:
Great video about AI from BESTINTESLA I recommend following Lars if you don’t already.

He makes some compelling comparisons and leads to conclusions based on what we’ve seen from past examples of AI/machine learning.

this got me thinking, because in my neighborhood, there are a lot of stop signs...in California many often wave to the oncoming driver, or give a headlight flash to indicate yielding the right of way. Is this universal?

When will we see AI to begin signaling that it’s yielding right of way. seems like low hanging fruit that could be a big time saver. A second here and there saves hours/days of wasted time when extrapolated to a fleet (Like iPhone, not needing a password anymore because of facial recognition).

Lars is entertaining and offers good content. I enjoy watching him award Teslaps as needed. :)

As for the bolded, above ... sometimes I find that sort of behavior confusing and annoying. There are rules for four-way stops and when "people trying to be nice" circumvent them it adds risk and confusion to the process. If I know the person waving me on has the ROW I'll just sit and wait them out. Sometimes a wave to confirm the other with the ROW should proceed is a helpful courtesy, but so many simply do not understand these basic rules of the road. So, yes, it is universal, and often universally confusing. o_O

Auto industry urges Biden to back 'comprehensive' EV plan | Reuters

"The letter from the UAW and two major auto industry trade groups noted there are currently only 1.5 million EVs out of 278 million registered passenger U.S. vehicles.​
“We need a comprehensive plan that takes the present market realities into consideration,” said the letter, which was seen by Reuters. “Neither the current trajectory of consumer adoption of EVs, nor existing levels of federal support for supply- and demand-side policies, is sufficient to meet our goal of a net-zero carbon transportation future.”​
Congratulations to Elon and Tesla. They have, almost singlehandedly, turned the auto industry from arrogant ICE apologists to beggars with a tin cup held up to Uncle Sugar.

The White House on Wednesday is expected to unveil a plan to spend $2.25 trillion on a jobs and infrastructure package that could form a cornerstone of President Biden’s economic agenda, two people familiar with the matter said.
Biden’s plan will include approximately $650 billion to rebuild the United States’ infrastructure, such as its roads, bridges, highways and ports, the people said. The plan will also include in the range of $400 billion toward care for the elderly and the disabled, $300 billion for housing infrastructure and $300 billion to revive U.S. manufacturing. It will also include hundreds of billions of dollars to bolster the nation’s electric grid, enact nationwide high-speed broadband and revamp the nation’s water systems to ensure clean drinking water, among other major investments, the people said.

People stop for stop signs?!?!