Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I need help.
A guy I work and train with is getting stressed out by ARK daily trading reports and thinks TSLA is not worth much because ARK sold some TSLA 2 days ago at peak and bought Coinbase yesterday.
He is watching stocks price everyday and think he should sell his ARKK because Tesla is overvalued and that it won’t go up for 1 year. He is listening to the day trading whatsapp group of his friend who knows a trader and says the Chinese EVs will take over and he should take profit because TSLA will crash because of the Chinese EVs.

I see these 2 guys being absorbed by FUD and they believe it like religion and they seem to start being unreasonable. His whatsapp day trading friend is now anti-vaxxer because he says the companies just make money out of it and he thinks it’s like the flu vaccine, the only time he got the flu is the only year he took the vaccine.

I feel like it is a hopeless battle, people are getting more and more unreasonable.
sell ARKK to buy TSLA? cool beans

train with at orthogym or at orthosurg? One's easier to find replacements ;)

Guys, I need help.
A guy I work and train with is getting stressed out by ARK daily trading reports and thinks TSLA is not worth much because ARK sold some TSLA 2 days ago at peak and bought Coinbase yesterday.
He is watching stocks price everyday and think he should sell his ARKK because Tesla is overvalued and that it won’t go up for 1 year. He is listening to the day trading whatsapp group of his friend who knows a trader and says the Chinese EVs will take over and he should take profit because TSLA will crash because of the Chinese EVs.

I see these 2 guys being absorbed by FUD and they believe it like religion and they seem to start being unreasonable. His whatsapp day trading friend is now anti-vaxxer because he says the companies just make money out of it and he thinks it’s like the flu vaccine, the only time he got the flu is the only year he took the vaccine.

I feel like it is a hopeless battle, people are getting more and more unreasonable.
Let me refer you to my prior post on how to handle such situations
1618578327231.png

Guys, I need help.

Stop wasting your time worrying about bad decisions other people make when it doesn't personally affect you. It's madness.

Guys, I need help.
Is he the one that just dumped his shares at 9 AM? Please thank him for me.

Guys, I need help.

Running this over in my mind, one approach might be to ask them,

What if you had a company, a growing company. One that threatened several enormous sectors like Big Auto, Big Oil, and Energy.

What if this company of yours was built solely upon word of mouth, and had never spent a penny on advertising to the media sources who have been funded significantly for decades by the very sectors this company is in the process of displacing?

What if this company set a goal of 50% annual growth several years ago, and has met or exceeded that impossible goal consistently, year after year?

Would you believe the facts you know about your company, or, would you believe the fear, uncertainty, and doubt being spewed by those who do not benefit and stand to lose because of this company?

sell ARKK to buy TSLA? cool beans

train with at orthogym or at orthosurg? One's easier to find replacements ;)
Haha the gym has been closed for a while now.

He used to be my mentor but I didn’t go in spine surgery, I went into joints replacement and sportsmed, I ran couple of marathons with him, we completed some Ironman and were training for Boston and Berlin marathons together so we spend a lot of time talking.

the guy is a genius in clinical research in spinal cord injury, working every night till midnight and now over 200 PubMed articles, his father always managed his money and corp, he just discovered there was a stock market last year in the pandemic and wanted to get into TSLA and GME, however, in investing he has exactly the opposite skills required for a spine surgeon, he want everything to be quick, certain and controlled. That makes him a terrible investor.

Running this over in my mind, one approach might be to ask them,

What if you had a company, a growing company. One that threatened several enormous sectors like Big Auto, Big Oil, and Energy.

What if this company of yours was built solely upon word of mouth, and had never spent a penny on advertising to the media sources who have been funded significantly for decades by the very sectors this company is in the process of displacing?

What if this company set a goal of 50% annual growth several years ago, and has met or exceeded that impossible goal consistently, year after year?

Would you believe the facts you know about your company, or, would you believe the fear, uncertainty, and doubt being spewed by those who do not benefit and stand to lose because of this company?
I like to point out that Big Oil includes several repressive governments that are happy to act with extreme prejudice when their interests are threatened.

How on Earth Tesla ever stood a chance against that lot is one hell of a success-against-the-odds story.

Guys, I need help.

I would suggest that he evaluate his beliefs by looking at Tesla and ARK in the last week, then the last month, then 6 months, then 1 year, then 5 years. If you can help him adjust his perspective, you will have done good :). If not, you tried :confused:.

Do some research on Apophenia. Online communities and social networks and gaming culture seem to be captured by Apophenia. We make fun of it here but it is a source of stimulation and amplification sometimes tragically in other communities IMO.

I would suggest that he evaluate his beliefs by looking at Tesla and ARK in the last week, then the last month, then 6 months, then 1 year, then 5 years. If you can help him adjust his perspective, you will have done good :). If not, you tried :confused:.
Excellent point.

Bring a visual aid to show-and-tell and share the trend line that has been underway since blast off in 2019.

1618580734947.png

Then, share that oft-repeated trader adage,
"The trend is your friend"
and let that sink in.

Attachments

• 1618580244871.png
    1618580244871.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

He used to be my mentor but I didn’t go in spine surgery, I went into joints replacement and sportsmed, I ran couple of marathons with him, we completed some Ironman and were training for Boston and Berlin marathons together so we spend a lot of time talking.

the guy is a genius in clinical research in spinal cord injury, working every night till midnight and now over 200 PubMed articles, his father always managed his money and corp, he just discovered there was a stock market last year in the pandemic and wanted to get into TSLA and GME, however, in investing he has exactly the opposite skills required for a spine surgeon, he want everything to be quick, certain and controlled. That makes him a terrible investor.
If it was my friend and I cared enough about them, I'd say: "Even though I think you're making a huge mistake, I'm not going to stop you from doing what you want to do with your money. I only hope that when this bet blows up, you will have the clarity and courage to admit that it was your fault. Also, just know that if you want my advice on what to do at that point, the first thing I'll expect will be an apology."

Last edited:

You could amaze him with your stock market acumen by predicting today's TSLA closing SP of $730 ± 0.05.

I'm supposed to believe there are people selling TSLA this morning? Why? Who?

Still surprised we're even in the ballpark of holding $750 today's open. I think we'll see a big breakout at some point as the algobots abandon ship and regroup to protect $800 next Friday.
Close today will normally be >725<730

Who's selling? MM's - selling to themselves to keep it low, doesn't cost much to do for them