Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jeez, reading the Twitter comments on SNL feed.

Feeling a little naive on just how unpopular Elon is irl...

I'm taking the blue pill and staying right here in my cosy echo chamber!

1619298410516.png

View attachment 656680
It's Twitter. Never take Twitter as a sign of anything real in this world. The only thing worse than Twitter in terms of not reflecting reality is Facebook and that is saying a lot.

View attachment 656680
That’s just twitter where everyone has to be pissed off all the time about everything. And even there he has 51 million followers which is more than Miley Cyrus, Oprah, Joe Biden...

It's Twitter. Never take Twitter as a sign of anything real in this world. The only thing worse than Twitter in terms of not reflecting reality is Facebook and that is saying a lot.
Yes. As internet people we forget that most of the world just barely hears all this crap. Most of the people I know just think he is a little whacky and builds cool stuff. That's it.

A question for those of us living in the US - do these states have more oil and/or fossil car industry than the rest of the US? Or is it just a general idea of taxing anything new that isn't already?

It’s to make up for the lost revenue from gas tax. That tax is built into gas prices, so most people don’t know they’re even paying it, or what percentage it is. Gas purchase correlates to how much a car is being driven, hence people who drive more are paying more tax and paying more towards roads/infrastructure. With EVs there isn’t an easy way to make folks who drive more pay more in “road tax.” Most states are just tacking it onto registration fees as a flat fee.

This all being said, undoubtedly states that are politically anti-EV are going to use these fees to discourage EV adoption. But there are also situations like pro-EV California where the roads are in poor condition, the budget is mismanaged, and the state is always in desperate need of making up lost tax dollars. Really it comes down to the fact that with the death of ICE, states will be losing the mechanism for funding road maintenance.

It's kind of weird. Every time I see a Tesla article from Teslarati, or Electrek, etc etc posted on facebook, there will be thousands of likes and maybe 8 laughing emojis. Then you read the comments it's 100% negative.

A question for those of us living in the US - do these states have more oil and/or fossil car industry than the rest of the US? Or is it just a general idea of taxing anything new that isn't already?
In most US states, roads and road maintenance is mostly funded by gasoline taxes... which is sort of a use tax, since until recently the more you use the roads, the more gas you used (and therefore the more tax you paid to use it). EVs mess up that equation, so they're all trying to find ways to make up for that gas tax money in a way that is somewhat similar to a use tax.

Taken in that context, an extra $100 registration fee doesn't seem to bad. Hopefully it won't get much higher.

Jeez the responses to SNL re: Elon Musk on this twitter post are completely negative. They apparently believe the following: "This is great inspiration to everyone. If you inherit a bunch of money and then spend your time calling people pedos, forcibly exposing workers to covid, and denying science, you too may be able to poorly deliver jokes written by other people on network TV!"

So sad to see how they've got it so wrong....

Agreed, the amount of Elon hate is incredible. I guess it's the new cool pop culture group-think to hate Elon. It's really sad.

It's kind of weird. Every time I see a Tesla article from Teslarati, or Electrek, etc etc posted on facebook, there will be thousands of likes and maybe 8 laughing emojis. Then you read the comments it's 100% negative.
It takes some pathology to see an article about something you don't like or don't care about, and then to take the time to comment. Normal people just like or ignore things.

In most US states, roads and road maintenance is mostly funded by gasoline taxes... which is sort of a use tax, since until recently the more you use the roads, the more gas you used (and therefore the more tax you paid to use it). EVs mess up that equation, so they're all trying to find ways to make up for that gas tax money in a way that is somewhat similar to a use tax.

Taken in that context, an extra $100 registration fee doesn't seem to bad. Hopefully it won't get much higher.
Diesel semis mess up that equation far more than we do. I'd also point out that there aren't special buckets of road money. They add more or less. More EV revenue means they will just put less money into that bucket. Same net result.

Just read way more comments than I care for.

Some thinks Elon is a right wing nut case and human garbage

Majority seems to think he is just not going to be funny due to being unrelatable (billionaire who makes thing only nerds care about). I mean he's definitely no professional actor/actress who normally host. Elon stumbles his words, stutters a lot, and talk technicalities.

Reactions: BornToFly
It’s to make up for the lost revenue from gas tax. That tax is built into gas prices, so most people don’t know they’re even paying it, or what percentage it is. Gas purchase correlates to how much a car is being driven, hence people who drive more are paying more tax and paying more towards roads/infrastructure. With EVs there isn’t an easy way to make folks who drive more pay more in “road tax.” Most states are just tacking it onto registration fees as a flat fee.

This all being said, undoubtedly states that are politically anti-EV are going to use these fees to discourage EV adoption. But there are also situations like pro-EV California where the roads are in poor condition, the budget is mismanaged, and the state is always in desperate need of making up lost tax dollars. Really it comes down to the fact that with the death of ICE, states will be losing the mechanism for funding road maintenance.
It's an interesting situation though. I think most places has some kind of tax on electricity???. Where I live there is about five different taxes. Including VAT on the other taxes. Yeah, really.

So, whether it's anywhere near what you pay in taxes on gas you are probably paying some on the electricity for the car.

I wonder if anyone has ever done the math on this. How much it translates to per mile driven. I guess it would be very different in different countries/states depending on the local taxation on both gas and electricity.

Of course in most cases the tax collector won't know that it's for an EV and not your general use so it won't end up in the right coffer, if it even is with gas, which is unclear in many jurisdictions..

So now you are paying both the EV fee and this electricity tax.

Of course then there are those with solar who are not paying any or very little electricity tax because of that.

It'll take awhile for anyone to figure out how this can be taxed fairly. When it is that solution probably won't be implemented anyway.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in Norway when their gas tax, which is very high, goes from many billions towards zero. It'll happen there several years before anywhere else.

Not the point of my post but:

There will now be around 89 posts that says it's mostly heavy traffic that ruins the roads anyway. Well guess what. That's irrelevant. That cost ends up with consumers anyway. Anything that is shipped on the roads in some form we are all paying for it if it's taxed in higher prices on gods. If it's not taxed we are all paying by the roads being worse. So truckin' fuel taxation is kind of a none issue. At least from a financial point.

View attachment 656680
The funny thing is, it’s mostly from those on the (far) left and environmentalists. You really can’t make this stuff up 😂

"Nevermore" quoth the Raven.
What's funny about this is that at the start of the pandemic, auto-correct didn't know what the Rona was and it constantly would auto-correct me to "Corvid" whenever I tried to mention it. I eventually gave up and stopped fixing it. These days I call it that for fun, and now you know why.

Didn't we hash out this road tax thing some weeks back?

For EV owners in states that are now paying a fee for EVs, one thing to use as a reference point would be to:

Tally up the miles you drive annually on average, then,

Divide the annual average miles by the MPG from a similar ICE model, or what you used to drive (hatch, sedan, pickup, etc.) to get the annual gallons used.

Multiply the number of gallons by the current cost for a gallon of fuel that vehicle used to get annual fuel cost.

Multiply annual fuel cost by the percent of tax on fuel for your state that go to fund roads.

Compare that number to the EV fee you pay to see if it is a fair shake, for you.

Didn't we hash out this road tax thing some weeks back?

For EV owners in states that are now paying a fee for EVs, one thing to use as a reference point would be to:

Tally up the miles you drive annually on average, then,

Divide the annual average miles by the MPG from a similar ICE model, or what you used to drive (hatch, sedan, pickup, etc.) to get the annual gallons used.

Multiply the number of gallons by the current cost for a gallon of fuel that vehicle used to get annual fuel cost.

Multiply annual fuel cost by the percent of tax on fuel for your state that go to fund roads.

Compare that number to the EV fee you pay to see if it is a fair shake, for you.
For the vast majority of people, it is absolutely not a fair shake. My EV surcharge is much, much more than I would have paid in gas tax. Most states are unwilling to raise gas taxes more, and it is politically impossible to do what should have been done decades ago and charge the large semi trucks which actually destroy roads they drive on their fair share. So they are basically screwing EV drivers because it's the one thing they can politically get away with to raise revenue. The whole country is like this, which is why our infrastructure is crumbling at an alarming rate.