Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My read was that Munro was a bit torn about the first batches of the M3. When I saw the M3 tear down on youtube he gave the built quality and gaps a sound trashing - no holding back. But he did praise the electronics and the super bottle.
Don't know the validity re. 6 years... could very well be true, since he used to do consulting for companies solely, before he also built a youtube brand, and expanded that during covid. Tesla could have been on his radar back in '15. Not promoting Tesla, but perhaps using them as a leverage to get his corporate customers to take EVs seriously.
I think he has done a full turnaround: He seems genuinely impressed by the many iterations and the speed of innovation at Tesla since '17. Also, for Elon to take the time to meet and talk shop with Munro was both kind and clever. The visit to SpaceX and design meeting was icing on the cake. Munro has a lot of respect for Elon.
Munro's opinion on EV's was formed when he visited China a few years ago and was shocked by what he saw. How modern China had become and how visible EV's were. I think the "6 years" is a little exaggeration, probably more like 4 or 5 years ago. His opinion of Tesla was very low and skeptical going into his Model 3 teardown, even before he got the car. He likes to claim he was unbiased but he completely did not understand what Tesla had achieved until he tore it open. Things many of us already knew.

Sell in May and go away. I guess everyone got the same idea ;) Preemptive strikes

20210429 Historical Monthly Returns.jpg

Perhaps sell in August and go away might be more apt?

Umm, 'Sell to the dogs of August and buy the pumpkin spice in the fall.'?..... need to work on that.

With regard to the future sales, there is a Tesla sales person in that forum. And he said most likely Tesla is shipping more cars to Europe and Asia pacific countries where the demand is high, like South Korea and Japan, waiting for the situation to calm down a little bit in China.

So Tesla is flexible there in that regard

My take on the China situation is the commotion did not significantly impact demand. I think demand is still too high for it to have any effect and most Chinese car consumers were more amused by it than believing that there was anything actually wrong with the brakes. I think the Tesla sales person was unduly taken in by the FUD.

View attachment 658007

Perhaps sell in August and go away might be more apt?

Umm, 'Sell to the dogs of August and buy the pumpkin spice in the fall.'?..... need to work on that.
"Sell in May and go away" is a well-known financial-world adage. It is based on the historical underperformance of some stocks in the "summery" six-month period commencing in May and ending in October, compared to the "wintery" six-month period from November to April. If an investor follows the this strategy, they would divest their equity holdings in May (or at least, the late spring) and invest again in November (or the mid-autumn).

When everybody is on to the secret, it's no longer a secret ;)

My take on the China situation is the commotion did not significantly impact demand. I think demand is still too high for it to have any effect and most Chinese car consumers were more amused by it than believing that there was anything actually wrong with the brakes. I think the Tesla sales person was unduly taken in by the FUD.

I can say for certain that sales people, even regional sales managers, do not know what sales are like in other states/regions and especially what's going on in other countries in terms of sales and demand. They have zero insight. This is straight out my sources mouth.

Last edited:
The end of ICE is nigh! The writing is on the wall, the last pillars of the old paradigm are crumbling.

I'm not sure how much market share Tesla will have in the future, but I know we'll be seeing a lot more EVs from other OEMs so that is good!

We're approaching the point where the cost-speed-quality triangle of of the electric vehicle eclipses that of the gas powered vehicle in every regard!

Solar is already the cheapest way to make electricity and will only get cheaper, while everything else becomes more expensive.

I care more about Tesla's mission and the swift adoption of this superior technology than I care about making more money.

I'm more worried about the people still designing, building, and buying brand new gas cars than I am with Tesla's EV competition.

I see more and more capitulations each day, and the future is looking bright! Cheers to all, keep up the good fight!

OT:
lol, no. Stochiometry says:

CH4 + 2 O2 > CO2 + 2 H20​

But I know what you're getting at. Methane doesn't just disappear, it is converted into Carbon Dioxide which then sticks around for hundreds of years (effectively forever wrt the current ill-conceived climate experiment)

Cheers!

P.S. Water vapor (H2O above) is also a potent GHG, but its resident time in the atmosphere averages only 2 weeks)
But the main point is that it's the methane we extract from the ground, or cause to be released by our actions, that is the issue - not that from livestock

And this must be regulated, controlled, reduced, stopped.

It occurred to me that I didn't remember hearing any mention of the Buffalo factory in the call nor do I remember any reference to it in the Q1 report. Did I miss something?
I guess I missed it because I was searching for Buffalo.

The company outlined this in its Form 10-Q, which was filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Wednesday.

“As we temporarily suspended most of our manufacturing operations at Gigafactory New York pursuant to a New York State executive order issued in March 2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we were granted a one-year deferral of our obligation to be compliant with our applicable targets under such agreement on April 30, 2020, which was memorialized in an amendment to our agreement with the SUNY Foundation in July 2020. In April 2021, we were granted an additional deferral through December 31, 2021 subject only to memorialization in writing by us and the SUNY Foundation, as our operations at Gigafactory New York have not yet fully ramped due to a number of factors related to the pandemic,”

Interesting forward look from the Tesla Economist

TL;DW: TSLA flat through Q3 if there is no significant news on FSD or the 25K car development. Q3-Q4 earnings may have good enough numbers to justify reaching SP of $1K by year end.
I would agree that Q3 will be the big turn. Chip rework done so R&D moderated. Battery ramp further along. S&X on market and yet more efficiency from casting momentum. New capacities coming online.

If there is an AI day or FSD news then all the better.

The question is when todays market swings back to Tesla’s corner.

Reactions: kbM3 and FireMedic
Tesla needs to change the way it releases data.
Elon rambling on incoherently on the ER every 3 months is not good enough with the headwinds they(we) are facing. ER answered all the questions no one cares about(in the short term anyway). Thanks for the in depth Bitcoin update MoC, but no one cares........
Give us some guidance on P&D levels , low ball to sandbag if you must, but give the investors and Wall Street something to look at or look forward to.

Wise up MoC......you are in control of the most shorted company on the planet and you get the investors beat up by FUD due to no PR department.
Sure, Tesla dosnt need it, and Elon has stated multiple times he dosnt care about the stock price, we sure do though.
Utterly stupid. Constant shroud of mystery.

Still here, won’t sell, can’t sell.....can’t buy.
Stuck

edit: I’m not trying to be a little whiny ungrateful child, & word of mouth has gone a LOOONG ways, but wtf, have a press release outside of the ER. Elon says “don’t wanna talk about that here at the ER, OK, talk about it somewhere else then....

So GM released the new fix for the 2019 bolt (fix for 2018 and 2017 comes in a few weeks)

oh and of course it's not OTA so you have to take the car to the dealer to get the updates, and then possibly go back if you have any failed or failing components they don't catch on the day of the update.

• increase max charge to 100% aka 4.2v (undoing prior workaround that limited charge)
    [*]changes diagnostics to better detect failing packs (so you can go get a new pack from Chevy if needed)
    [*]updates diags for HVAC (so you know if you have to get the HVAC repaired, again see Chevy if needed)
    [*]updates diags for DCFC (fast charging aka L3, so again you can tell if something isn't right)
    [*]updates OS on the car so it supports all the new diags.

generally just makes the car smarter about finding failed components or components that are likely to fail so you can go get your car fixed.

but the good news for us is this is going to take over the news cycle and reduce the fud factor on TSLA

Less room in the news feed for TSLA fud if they are pushing out fresh GM fud.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireMedic
Tesla needs to change the way it releases data.
Elon rambling on incoherently on the ER every 3 months is not good enough with the headwinds they(we) are facing. ER answered all the questions no one cares about(in the short term anyway). Thanks for the in depth Bitcoin update MoC, but no one cares........
Give us some guidance on P&D levels , low ball to sandbag if you must, but give the investors and Wall Street something to look at or look forward to.

Wise up MoC......you are in control of the most shorted company on the planet and you get the investors beat up by FUD due to no PR department.
Sure, Tesla dosnt need it, and Elon has stated multiple times he dosnt care about the stock price, we sure do though.
Utterly stupid. Constant shroud of mystery.

Still here, won’t sell, can’t sell.....can’t buy.
Stuck

edit: I’m not trying to be a little whiny ungrateful child, & word of mouth has gone a LOOONG ways, but wtf, have a press release outside of the ER. Elon says “don’t wanna talk about that here at the ER, OK, talk about it somewhere else then....
Selfishly, I agree. Since I hold calls thru June. :)

But in reality that's what MoC is doing. Guidance is currently set at 750k+, which is absolutely crushable. Elon's ramblings are annoying, but the print presentation was totally on point.

It doesn't help us much today, but when it comes to the Master Plan....today doesn't matter. We're at like $3400 pre-split and moaning about it. TSLA debt will be boosted to investment grade in short order and we have the next 3 ratcheting blowout quarters locked in.

This current short effort will eventually fuel the next leg up. It's sad that some shorts who were completely wrong on 1Q will still get rewarded, buy hey.....that's how it goes in this regulatory environment. Nothing we can do about it in the near term.

If my May and June calls don't pan out, I'm learning how to value these multi-leg LEAPs and will convert even more shares to 2023 leverage. I'm a total psycho who can't just sit on the knowledge we're likely going above $1k this year without putting some bets on it. You people should just relax and enjoy!