Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across a piece of California legislation today (AB 794) that Tesla is opposing. It appears - I've only skimmed it - that it would tie EV manufacturer eligibility for participation in state EV incentive programs to workforce standards and domestic location of final assembly. It's sponsored and supported by unions.

Link for those who want some light reading. I recommend the committee analysis (see the appropriate tab on the link) for a much more readable format and background information.

I think Tesla diversifying outside of California was a very prudent decision.
... and Ford makes the Mach-E in Mexico, so they'll eligible right? /s

There seems to be so much apology in all quarters for the EV credits. I don't get it.
The credits should be celebrated by everyone, bulls and bears alike.
Of course Tesla is going to use them to reduce prices and build capacity. Why else would they exist?
YES! Why not have legacy automaker's pay for Tesla's cap ex directly?! Seems like a great business plan. The only apology should be those on the ER CC who didn't ask where are the next five or ten GFs going up?--We all ready know who will pay for them.

Reactions: MikeC and FireMedic
Wonder how much Ford paid for this tweet:

View attachment 658063

Er, before you get carried away Autoline (whoever you are), here's an extract from Ford's own earnings release:

"Quarterly adjusted EBIT (earnings before interest and taxes) of $4.8 billion included a noncash gain of $902 million on Ford’s investment in Rivian"

Wonder how much Ford paid for this tweet:

View attachment 658063

These FUDsters are relentless .. I'm feeling we need to organize or fund an anti FUD organization if we are to combat effectively this ongoing scourge of bad faith advertising/ propaganda - or look into the existing Public Citizen or Center for Study of Responsive Law or ...

Unless we do something about it instead of just complaining and writing about it we're playing into their game, renting space in our brains/ minds for free.

Er, before you get carried away Autoline (whoever you are), here's an extract from Ford's own earnings release:

"Quarterly adjusted EBIT (earnings before interest and taxes) of $4.8 billion included a noncash gain of $902 million on Ford’s investment in Rivian"

One time things only apply to Tesla....don't ya know that :p

Nah. The ER definitely contributed to more worries than not.

1. New batteries not reliable for cars yet, 12-18months out. This is perhaps the biggest downer

2. Energy margins are even worst than q4 which means Tesla can't provide the cheap solar and make good margins like we have hoped. Also news that megapack margins are apparently awful too.

3. S/X delays and not even sure what Elon was saying. Tooling? Unreliable smart shift? No idea. He was mumbling about something there.

The positive of course were auto margins despite the headwinds and overwhelming demand going forward. But the call was pretty meh. Also even in the world where the call was super bullish, sp would probably take a dump anyways given the current macro sentiment towards growth stocks.
I'm still not certain the date for 4680 cells has been moved out. It was described as 2022 at battery day. Here's a comment expecting the cells to be at high volume between 15 and 27 months from BD. I'm too lazy to go back to what Elon said directly.

This won’t be “future (2022) technology.”

This will be a show and tell as Elon and others have mentioned. They will demo a real product (hopefully it’s not just a cell in a charger). That has impact. That makes it real.

Kato Rd is making cells. This tech WILL be in some products very soon if not at the start of Q4.

All Elon said is that super-high volume production of this new battery tech is still somewhere between 15 and 27 months out. Well ok, I guess that’s about what I was expecting.

If 3/Y and other cars will have this tech in less than 2 years, that is a very good thing.

It still may just about guarantee another 5-10 years with Tesla solidly in the tech lead for EVs, with no sign they’ll slow down.

To the Journalists Doing Lazy Math:
I took the time to breakout Tesla’s Q1 Income Statement by Segment and guess what? Excluding Regulatory Credits and Bitcoin gains, Tesla actually makes money on every car they sell. The Auto segment made $140m in Q1 excluding Reg Credits and the Bitcoin gain. And this is without Model S&X production. Had Tesla sold 15k Model S&X in Q1, the Auto segment GAAP Income would have been well over $400m.

1619725263829.png

1619725291815.png

To the Journalists Doing Lazy Math:
I took the time to breakout Tesla’s Q1 Income Statement by Segment and guess what? Excluding Regulatory Credits and Bitcoin gains, Tesla actually makes money on every car they sell. The Auto segment made $140m in Q1 excluding Reg Credits and the Bitcoin gain. And this is without Model S&X production. Had Tesla sold 15k Model S&X in Q1, the Auto segment GAAP Income would have been well over $400m.

View attachment 658112

That's what I told the IRS this year. I backed out my one time capital gains, and left in the taxes associated with them. So basically I made negative money this year so they owe me a big refund. TLDR, do you think I can access TMC from prison?

These FUDsters are relentless .. I'm feeling we need to organize or fund an anti FUD organization if we are to combat effectively this ongoing scourge of bad faith advertising/ propaganda - or look into the existing Public Citizen or Center for Study of Responsive Law or ...

Unless we do something about it instead of just complaining and writing about it we're playing into their game, renting space in our brains/ minds for free.
We all know how this is going to play out...short term...they succeed in depressing the SP....however, i would not wanna be caught with my pants down (ever at least) during the next big run up....we all know its coming....just a matter of time.

I always respond by inviting someone that has never driven a Tesla to drive my car.

I know that it is threadbare, but it works.
Not at all - to me this is the most effective thing any individual can do. While it is limited, it is first hand information. Before we took delivery on our M3 in 2018 a friend brought his over and let us climb around in it and drive it. It gave us much needed confidence.

Tesla is following macros of high PE stocks and renewable stocks. I would say it's doing better than expected. Also demand is insane to the point that I thought maybe we have production issues but no, it's just that cars are flying off the factory floor.
And don't forget while other manufacturers are scaling back production due to chip shortages, Tesla just sourced some others and rewrote the firmware - if this doesn't terrify every tech and auto maker out there, then they weren't paying attention

Last edited: