Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing new or fancy,
Sell like 4X-7X Covered Calls way out and at higher strikes. say Jan 23 1700. Longer duration gives you extra time value.
Use proceeds to buy 1-12 X Calls at longer duration on closer strikes. e.g. Mar 23, 800's

(+ When CC's have made decent gains, in my case for jan 22, option is to leave them or roll and get a few more pennies on the $)

IV low, SP low - so good time to buy calls, bad time to sell. All CC risks included. Must be willing to be flexible and happy even if shares do get called.
No new money so just use this to see what future brings. Tools have Profit/Loss Charts and you can see what happens under different scenarios.
Thinking about it... there ought to be a pop somewhere in the next few months (maybe even next week).
I never tried a covered call (not experienced enough). Is the situation the same with leap OTM Calls? I haven't been watching, good time for them still? I'd need to sell some shares in the interim.

MODERATOR:
1. END the profanities. I am supremely tired of finding, day after day, completely unnecessary examples of potty-mouthed high school garbage defiling this thread.
Up until now, it has been my tack simply to remove the offenses, often resulting in these posters’ writings reduced to incomprehensibility.
===>This includes every single use, with the sole exception being this specific post, of the word “sugar” or the insipid transformation by the TMC software of such into “***sugar***”. <===
unless you truly and sincerely are referring to a saccharine substance, usually some combination of sucrose, glucose, fructose, lactose, maltose and ilk...reference to which effectively never is an appropriate subject for this thread anyway.

I am not going to do that any more. If what you write,
OR what you clip from other sources, is profane, then out it goes. And since such writing lacks common courtesy, the excision likewise will be without the courtesy of any explanation. AND, although there are three or four consistent offenders here, ALL who consistently flout both TMC’s rules and this note are liable to get increasingly severe time-outs.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

2. The subject of Gordon Johnson and family ties to GM, of dubious relevance to this thread regardless of some attempts to so make it, long since has descended into worthlessness and it stops - NOW.

The latest Bolt fire has video Exclusive: The latest Chevy Bolt fire reveals troubling pattern that owners should be aware of - Electrek
  • The owner did not charge to full often, if ever. Even if he did, the initial recall fix would have limited it.
  • The car was typically charged when it got down to about 30 miles of range left and stopped between 160-180. That’s about 65-75%.
  • The car was rarely used – only 19,000 miles over 2.5 years of ownership.
  • There was no damage to the car (prior to the fire).
  • The car had not been driven that morning, and it was unplugged at around 75% charge.
  • The car was unplugged at the time of the fire and had been for several hours.

No doubt your coworkers will reference this when asking why you still drive a Tesla. Don't you know those EVs just catch fire at random?

Yeah this is crazy. They don't have enough batteries to scale up their car business, so they are going to divert a significant amount of capacity to yachts???
No need for batteries the first couple years while they're parked in some yacht dealer's marina while somebody tries to figure out how to write the software...

I have some wonderful news regarding Tesla Energy:

Lake Powell is a man-made reservoir that provides hydroelectricity to millions of people in the southwest U.S. It's level dropped by more than 30 feet in 2020 alone. If the level drops by another 85 feet it will be below the hydropower outlets, leaving millions without power and water.

Reservoirs across the U.S. are at record lows, and with a warming planet more snow is evaporating rather than slowly melting into rivers, so we can reasonably expect this trend to continue. This is great news because more states will be forced to buy more Tesla Energy products and services, which will cause TSLA to rise and us to get more rich.

I for one am happy to get rid of hydroelectricity. Waaay less competition for Tesla.

Have a great weekend.
However the chips may fall to the benefit of TSLA, this is decidedly not wonderful news.

I, for one, would prefer the rainfall increased.

No need for batteries the first couple years while they're [VW] parked in some yacht dealer's marina while they start trying to figure out how to write the software...
I think it comes down to two things: Yachts aren't price sensitive so an extra $100K adds a lot of margin. VW does not have to compete against Tesla in the yacht space.

It’s a legit issue imo. But my wife and I choose to ignore it. We definitely notice it(a low bass booming noise), but it doesn’t bother us like it does other folk.

Most likely the tailgate of your car doesn't push properly onto the rubber points when closed.
You can try to put a piece of paper between these rubber points and the tailgate.
If you can pull out the paper when the tailgate is closed, the rubbers need adjusting (turning?).
After adjusting the booming noise will probably be gone.
So, most likely not a specific Model Y problem nor a woofer problem as has been speculated about here, can happen to any car.

Last edited:
Nothing new or fancy,
Sell like 4X-7X Covered Calls way out and at higher strikes. say Jan 23 1700. Longer duration gives you extra time value.
Use proceeds to buy 1-2 X Calls at longer duration on closer strikes. e.g. Mar 23, 800's

(+ When CC's have made decent gains, in my case for jan 22, option is to leave them or roll and get a few more pennies on the $)

IV low, SP low - so good time to buy calls, bad time to sell. All CC risks included. Must be willing to be flexible and happy even if shares do get called.
No new money so just use this to see what future brings. Tools have Profit/Loss Charts and you can see what happens under different scenarios.
Thanks for the details. Do you have recommendations or links to such tools? Alas, I need the cash for my RE transaction next week so I am looking at selling June 23 CC on my shares early next week. Sounds like it is a bad time to do so, but I need the cash and I figure it is better than selling shares. I don't mind getting called away as I would still make some profit in addition to the premiums. My intention would be to keep adding more shares on dips when I have more cash. I'm new to this type of trade so I hope I'm not making a mistake.

Reactions: wipster
Thanks for the details. Do you have recommendations or links to such tools? Alas, I need the cash for my RE transaction next week so I am looking at selling June 23 CC on my shares early next week. Sounds like it is a bad time to do so, but I need the cash and I figure it is better than selling shares. I don't mind getting called away as I would still make some profit in addition to the premiums. My intention would be to keep adding more shares on dips when I have more cash. I'm new to this type of trade so I hope I'm not making a mistake.

In ThinkOrSwim, can analyze your trade. Should expect similar tools in other platforms

Check out "The Wheel" thread - there is always risk but lots of info there with options. Unlike the thread title, it has become the go to for options related posts and questions. IMO

Just flagging another $500 price increase across the board for Model 3/Y.

Fourth price increase this year.
Likely continues to be preparation for the upcoming US tax credit (or whatever it’s going to be termed). Tesla continues to be production limited for the immediate future and well positioned to increase margins through passage of the tax credit. The optics of raising pricing after passage of the credit would be terrible. This approach is prudent IMO.

I know I promised not to bitch about OT in this thread til the 4th of July, but this GJ/FUD nonsense is unbearable.

We have a GJ thread and a general FUD complaint thread. USE THEM.

FUD based dips are the best high return investment opportunities left for TSLA investors at this elevated market cap. Let's discuss and strategize on that.
Well that’s a shocker. 🤣

Likely continues to be preparation for the upcoming US tax credit (or whatever it’s going to be termed). Tesla continues to be production limited for the immediate future and well positioned to increase margins through passage of the tax credit. The optics of raising pricing after passage of the credit would be terrible. This approach is prudent IMO.
Maybe price hikes to pay for cost associated with adding A PR team.

I don’t really have a strong opinion on this one way or the other… But I’ve now heard several Tesla bulls present compelling arguments for bringing back the PR team.

The “now you know/Tesla time news” guys did a comprehensive video about this highlighting multiple examples of poor communication that could have been harmful to the mission.

However the chips may fall to the benefit of TSLA, this is decidedly not wonderful news.

I, for one, would prefer the rainfall increased.
I’m joking of course, it’s not wonderful news. The world is burning to the ground, but Wall Street and msm are fixated on smearing Elon/Tesla day in and day out as if they are the worst CEO/company on Earth.

Its Friday, which implies a weekly options expiration. Today’s trading volumes in TSLA calls & puts suggest that the $670 strike may be the most profitable target for big writers of options with the ability to manipulate the share price.
Trading volume is brutal, especially for options expiration day. I'm sure the MMs will be able to guide the SP to whatever is most advantageous.

Maybe price hikes to pay for cost associated with adding A PR team.

I don’t really have a strong opinion on this one way or the other… But I’ve now heard several Tesla bulls present compelling arguments for bringing back the PR team.

The “now you know/Tesla time news” guys did a comprehensive video about this highlighting multiple examples of poor communication that could have been harmful to the mission.

I do not find these arguments compelling, but rather the opposite.

The target journalist for the PR effort, Matt, as been reporting on autonomous driving and AI since 2013. He worked for the Washington Post and CNN. I don't see that PR money as well spent.

PR people don't "know" anything. After a fiery crash where two people die, paying someone who does not know anything to say it is their own fault that they died before, during and after the funeral service does not help the mission. People will set their jaws against Tesla. This does not help the mission.

Any time a company representative speaks, the company becomes subject to lawsuit. More words are worse, not better. These extra words do not help the mission, rather they lead to lawsuits.

Matt.PNG