Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read this infuriating article in the Washington Post:

Posted this in the comments section:

So much untruth in this article. A typical anti-Tesla hit piece---I expect more from WP. Repeating every poorly sourced, uncredited rumor-mill story, most now discredited. The owners of every other EV car brand would love to be "locked into Tesla's ecosystem" when it comes to using the world's largest, best Supercharger network. Electrify America? Not so much. Read with GM, Ford, and other EV owners have to say. Notice the periodic links to more click-bait, falsehood filled negative articles. Funny how none link to articles reporting positive things. A new American car company, employing 30,000 plus Americans. Building new factories in the US, China, Europe? Also--Tesla wins most owner satisfaction ratings running away.

Tesla safety and survivability is well documented, not like the majority of this article. Take a look at the NHTSA ratings-- all Teslas are 5 star rated, some with the highest number scores ever recorded. Tesla accidents, injuries and fires occur at the rates a fraction of conventional internal combustion cars. They are much, much safer. When's the last time you read a mainstream press article about that? Big oil, gas, stock market short-sellers, big ICE auto are just a few of the forces behind the glut of negative stories you are seeing about Tesla lately. They have the most to loose if Tesla and other EV makers are successful in replacing a carbon-based system with renewables. Follow the money.

“The competition is coming”...

We’ve all been hearing this for a very long time. After reading the excellent Mach E review a few posts up, I realize that once it does get here, even if they are close to matching (or even exceeding) Tesla’s offerings, it won’t last long. Without traditional model year refreshes, Tesla is not only constantly innovating, but they are constantly introducing those enhancements into their products continuously. Catching Tesla is a fool’s errand, but trying is likely the pathway to runner up.

The ugly:
Extreme safety issue- Distance & lane keep should have audible engagement & disengagement notices. IMO recall level fix needed. Need to watch the screen constantly & not the road or pry the car doesn’t drive off the road unexpectedly. Years behind Tesla’s AP.

Interesting. This Youtuber claims " It is pretty obvious when it is engaged and chimes + flashes an alert when it disengages." That's in the comments section of his video comparing a rental Model Y to his Mach e (while it's in the shop getting fixed):

It seems like a very lop-sided comparison video but maybe that's understandable after he spent 60K on a Mach e. And Ford is only making these for the emissions credits. Based on the small volumes they are sending from Mexico to the US, I would say it's a near-certainty they will lose money on the U.S. sales even after considering the emissions credits. I mean, it's a car with close to 100 kWh's worth of batteries trying to compete with a car having less than 80kWh of batteries.

Last edited:
Just read this infuriating article in the Washington Post:

Posted this in the comments section:

So much untruth in this article. A typical anti-Tesla hit piece---I expect more from WP. Repeating every poorly sourced, uncredited rumor-mill story, most now discredited. The owners of every other EV car brand would love to be "locked into Tesla's ecosystem" when it comes to using the world's largest, best Supercharger network. Electrify America? Not so much. Read with GM, Ford, and other EV owners have to say. Notice the periodic links to more click-bait, falsehood filled negative articles. Funny how none link to articles reporting positive things. A new American car company, employing 30,000 plus Americans. Building new factories in the US, China, Europe? Also--Tesla wins most owner satisfaction ratings running away.

Tesla safety and survivability is well documented, not like the majority of this article. Take a look at the NHTSA ratings-- all Teslas are 5 star rated, some with the highest number scores ever recorded. Tesla accidents, injuries and fires occur at the rates a fraction of conventional internal combustion cars. They are much, much safer. When's the last time you read a mainstream press article about that? Big oil, gas, stock market short-sellers, big ICE auto are just a few of the forces behind the glut of negative stories you are seeing about Tesla lately. They have the most to loose if Tesla and other EV makers are successful in replacing a carbon-based system with renewables. Follow the money.
/cynic on
it has been about 5 years since i subscribed to the _print_ version of the Washington Post.
The Sunday edition used to come with a separate Automotive section with a lot of full and 1/2 page ads from various Automobile manufacturers and sales folks
i vaguely remember an “eye popping” price for those ads but it has been 5 years. (?1/2 million? or some such nonsense)

to vaguely quote some old politician/crime boss
“what have you done for me lately? Do I know you?, money is a universal lubricant, by the way
/cynic not off

I don't care if it's better, or worse, than a Model Y, I do care that Ford have brought to market a pretty decent EV and that every one sold is displacing an ICEv

I hope the demand is huge and forces them to shift more towards BEV

There are valid concerns that if the Mach e charging experience isn't good enough it could cause early adopters to defect back to ICE. Or if CoPilot 360 is dangerous it could set back adoption of autonomy.

I want to see Ford take this in the right direction but much of the Mach e owner frustration is due to the dealer network who can't make much money off Mach e sales without making both the customers and Ford upset when they add on additional dealer markup. Most of these problems are related to the fact that Ford doesn't have favorable economics when it comes to producing the car. These frustrations are compounded by the third-party charging networks that only exist to make a profit. Once those networks fill up with active users, the price to charge is going to do the natural supply and demand thing so the owners of the charge networks can maximize the value of their investment.

It's really a setup to strangle EV sales right when they are hitting their stride and then automakers will cry that government regulations are putting them out of business because consumers want gas cars (because all the non-Tesla charge networks are too congested and too expensive). Just watch and see.