Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The competition is coming! - NOT

I got a chance to take a look at the Mach E in person and took it for a drive. As a TSLA investor I was eager when my buddy that reviews cars got it in his driveway. Below I’ll give you my take being open minded as possible.

The good:
The Mach E looks and feels like a $80K Ford. The fits and finishes, build quality, and ride is way above any Ford I’ve seen or been in. ~300 miles EPA range is unmatched except by Tesla. The one I drove is the extended version “X” with the bigger battery.
If you take off the badges and you think this is an import brand. Style, lines, and materials are fantastic.
Consumers coming from ICE will appreciate this car’s bridge between classic ICE and a Tesla interpretation of an EV.

The bad:
The roofline slopes down so much any adults will have trouble getting in the back. It’s a hazardous for your head. Reminds me of convertible’s backseats. Why?
Ford goes to the trouble including a key fob but no trunk or frunk release button on it. There is always using the App I guess but you included a fob.
The frunk been talked about a lot. The Tesla crowd will absolutely hate the permanent dividers. No options to slide or fold down.
Not knowing better previous ICE owners will love extra storage without things sliding around.
The “MMI” isn’t as fast and snappy and take a second or two to load certain tabs.

The ugly:
Extreme safety issue- Distance & lane keep should have audible engagement & disengagement notices. IMO recall level fix needed. Need to watch the screen constantly & not the road or pry the car doesn’t drive off the road unexpectedly. Years behind Tesla’s AP.

Mach E VS Model Y & what Ford did better:
Door handles, paint quality, rear view mirrors, blind spot visual on rear view mirrors, aggressive style (IMO), & features like: heated steering wheel, 360 bird eye view, and ride. The ride is between S with air suspension and the Y.

Mach E VS Model Y & where Model Y is noticeably better:
Acceleration & handling is night & day better on the AWD Y. Passing speed is even better.
Tesla’s touch screen & user interface is second to none. Trunk space and storage feels like ~1/3 more on Y? Do I need to mention AP?

Conclusion:
Mach E is targeted at the ICE shopper and not the Tesla crowd. Amazing achievement by team Ford. This EV and anything similar to it will destroy ICE sales. 98% ICE market will dramatically shrink *IF* battery supply can be found. My buddy also mentioned he thinks this is closest to competition for Tesla as any other manufacturers got.

TSLA investment thoughts: Competition is coming but Tesla is full speed ahead. Next generation Mach E may match the current 2021 model Y but that means competition is 6+ years behind. I’ll be still sleeping like a baby at nights. The elephant in the room -Relying on 3rd party chargers is one of the greatest handicap for the “competition.”

View attachment 662336
View attachment 662337

View attachment 662338
What is the Ford stereo like? I know the model 3 stereo was one thing I was surprised with how good and powerful it was.

Just read this infuriating article in the Washington Post:

Posted this in the comments section:

So much untruth in this article. A typical anti-Tesla hit piece---I expect more from WP. Repeating every poorly sourced, uncredited rumor-mill story, most now discredited. The owners of every other EV car brand would love to be "locked into Tesla's ecosystem" when it comes to using the world's largest, best Supercharger network. Electrify America? Not so much. Read with GM, Ford, and other EV owners have to say. Notice the periodic links to more click-bait, falsehood filled negative articles. Funny how none link to articles reporting positive things. A new American car company, employing 30,000 plus Americans. Building new factories in the US, China, Europe? Also--Tesla wins most owner satisfaction ratings running away.

Tesla safety and survivability is well documented, not like the majority of this article. Take a look at the NHTSA ratings-- all Teslas are 5 star rated, some with the highest number scores ever recorded. Tesla accidents, injuries and fires occur at the rates a fraction of conventional internal combustion cars. They are much, much safer. When's the last time you read a mainstream press article about that? Big oil, gas, stock market short-sellers, big ICE auto are just a few of the forces behind the glut of negative stories you are seeing about Tesla lately. They have the most to loose if Tesla and other EV makers are successful in replacing a carbon-based system with renewables. Follow the money.

"lose", not "loose". Just saying in case you can edit your comment still.

"lose", not "loose". Just saying in case you can edit your comment still.
Thanks-can't seem to edit after posting. Should write in a program with spell-check, then copy & paste! Up to 708 comments now--that's a lot of interest. Article seems to pile on with every last controversy, always choosing the most negative slant, leaving off the corrections that have been made.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Hi insightful @Artful Dodger , you realize, despite all your helpful and wise posts, your sig that we see every time has a missing word, eh? Just FYI. :)

Keep 'em coming!

Lol, that's some Bytown euchre right there! :p

Today's open was bang on the MA(200), we tagged yesterday's SP to close the gap, then marched up to the 590 level where MM killed a bunch of PUT options:

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2021-05-14.20-00.png

After-hrs saw two nice bumps up as news of the Model S Plaid debut began leaking on the twitters. Looking forward to Jay Leno's Garage this Sunday evening (unless he puts it on his CNBC Prime version of the show). Jay's reportedly drove the Plaid S this week, with a film crew to record the event.

Cheers!

So much untruth in this article. A typical anti-Tesla hit piece---I expect more from WP. Repeating every poorly sourced, uncredited rumor-mill story, most now discredited. The owners of every other EV car brand would love to be "locked into Tesla's ecosystem" when it comes to using the world's largest, best Supercharger network. Electrify America? Not so much. Read with GM, Ford, and other EV owners have to say. Notice the periodic links to more click-bait, falsehood filled negative articles. Funny how none link to articles reporting positive things. A new American car company, employing 30,000 plus Americans. Building new factories in the US, China, Europe? Also--Tesla wins most owner satisfaction ratings running away.

Tesla safety and survivability is well documented, not like the majority of this article. Take a look at the NHTSA ratings-- all Teslas are 5 star rated, some with the highest number scores ever recorded. Tesla accidents, injuries and fires occur at the rates a fraction of conventional internal combustion cars. They are much, much safer. When's the last time you read a mainstream press article about that? Big oil, gas, stock market short-sellers, big ICE auto are just a few of the forces behind the glut of negative stories you are seeing about Tesla lately. They have the most to loose if Tesla and other EV makers are successful in replacing a carbon-based system with renewables. Follow the money.
Why would you expect more from the WP?

Last edited:
TMC infighting peak really is technical indicator :D I pinpoint it yesterday afternoon pre-close with TSLA hovering around $568 more reliable than 200 day MA methinks ... have to admit i did instigate some of that infighting so self fulfilling ...maybe ;)
Exactly. Sad to say I was part of peak euphoria between P&D and earnings, so much for that. Now the doom and gloom has settled in REAL fast.

Sick buying opportunity.

There are valid concerns that if the Mach e charging experience isn't good enough it could cause early adopters to defect back to ICE. Or if CoPilot 360 is dangerous it could set back adoption of autonomy.

I want to see Ford take this in the right direction but much of the Mach e owner frustration is due to the dealer network who can't make much money off Mach e sales without making both the customers and Ford upset when they add on additional dealer markup. Most of these problems are related to the fact that Ford doesn't have favorable economics when it comes to producing the car. These frustrations are compounded by the third-party charging networks that only exist to make a profit. Once those networks fill up with active users, the price to charge is going to do the natural supply and demand thing so the owners of the charge networks can maximize the value of their investment.

It's really a setup to strangle EV sales right when they are hitting their stride and then automakers will cry that government regulations are putting them out of business because consumers want gas cars (because all the non-Tesla charge networks are too congested and too expensive). Just watch and see.
This is spot-on. And don't forget the threat to stealer-ship and third party/after-market "service/maintenance" revenues.

I look at WaPo bylines and check if it's Faiz Siddiqui. He's a paid attack dog, probably personally hired by Bezos himself. If I see this byline, I immediately ignore the article. Faiz Siddiqui has been writing attack pieces on Tesla for years now, everyone knows about him and Russ Mitchell of the LA Times.

Outside Mexico City, but still in Mexico?
"union paying jobs" - surely meant US based Unions like UAW?

He has also said local manufacturing, don't want to move parts 3-4 times around the world.
makes sense to export from China though and likely will be a non-political event if it happens.

People here seem to think importing products from Mexico is worse than China.

I strongly disagree. Mexico's poverty directly affects USA in a way that China's does not. And China is experiencing labor shortages.

Importing directly from China will be a much bigger political event than Mexico if it is done on mass scale like the Model 2. Mexico is not a geo-political competitor to the USA. Mexico does not compete in space(militarily) with USA. GM imports a small number of Buick subcompacts from China and imported a few niche vehicles in the past but nothing on mass scale.

Manufacturing in China and exporting to USA doesn't have a lower manufacturing carbon foot print than manufacturing powertrain in the USA, doing final assembly in Mexico and exporting back to USA. BEVs in China don't get completely manufactured in a single spot either.

Last edited: