Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A delivery event for a car that is ~5 months late and which the CEO said on an Earnings Call was "in production" in January is worthy of a stock price catalyst?
Anything can be a catalyst .. it is just psycology ..

I mean .. i would be happier if catalysts were reasonable .. but just a bit of press & symbolic action is just as good as facts..

There is a lot of engineering talent in the English Midlands being wasted on F1. F1 is a dead-end business just like the rest of the petroleum business. I expect it to die suddenly as ICE makers pull their support for racing because they need the money for core business in an effort to survive. Smart engineers in F1 should be looking for new opportunities now. If Tesla builds a factory that allows those engineers to earn a great living while doing rewarding and challenging work without relocating it should be appealing to them.

Research/high tech engineering more likely than a factory, closer to F1 strengths

Reactions: Thumper
Nice, but I think you’ll have to wait until the Cybertruck gets delivered to haul that boat trailer in the back 😀
That's my neighbor's but yeah. Still getting a Cybertruck for sure. With that trailer loaded my range hit is way too much. No supercharger between home and the lake so it's tight with that 40% range loss.

Reactions: Don TLR
Ok, I only see “humpy” casting in Gabe’s Fremont video and the ones at GT are have a hard corner where the firewall goes, and they are making a ton. This death star is fully operational.
B5BD5870-F8E0-4037-9678-3DE9235F5AFD.jpeg
5382661E-8237-4D52-A819-C93EB286E4AC.jpeg
BDB40C84-267F-4CF2-AED3-B64B7295909E.jpeg

So by the looks of the photos with the Giga press in Austin & loading them onto trucks, I see photos of possibly hundreds of the casting stacked up in the yard & on trucks.

if these are “tests” I doubt they would be making so many. My guess is they have already honed them in & these are being put into production in Fremont. Does anyone agree with that?
Where is the bottle neck in Fremont? Is it in casting at all?
If the general assembly is a bit slow then it would make sense to make a load of casts in one batch and stockpile them rather than firing up the press to make few every day, don't you think?

A delivery event for a car that is ~5 months late and which the CEO said on an Earnings Call was "in production" in January is worthy of a stock price catalyst?
Good point. But I would propose that the 5 month delay in delivery is part of the reason the SP is where it is today. We didn't get the added revenue and margin from refreshed S and X in Q1.

SP is looking for SOMETHING as a catalyst to stabilize and hopefully move higher. The delivery event could create some excitement and analysts could sharpen their pencils to model in Q2 revenue and margins.

If the general assembly is a bit slow then it would make sense to make a load of casts in one batch and stockpile them rather than firing up the press to make few every day, don't you think?
The presses can also use more than one die but I assume that requires a decent amount of downtime to swap out. So build X of component 1 and then switch to component 2.

Reactions: hobbes and mekberg
Reuters - this morning: Nissan, Suzuki Motor to curtail production in June due to chip shortage

Excerpt:

A global chip shortage is forcing Nissan Motor Co (7201.T) and Suzuki Motor Corp (7269.T) to temporarily halt production at some plants in June, sources with direct knowledge of the plans told Reuters on Friday.

Nissan Motor Co will idle its factory in Kyushu, southern Japan, for three days on June 24, 25 and 28, while making production adjustments during the month at its Tochigi and Oppama plants in Japan, three sources said.

Nissan will also temporarily halt production of some of its models at its Mexico plant, they said, declining to be identified because the plan is not public.

Tesla already has a financing arm. They have an active secruitisation program for their vehicle leases.

Investors flock to Tesla's latest auto-lease ABS deal

Although there is plenty of room to expand to other products.
FWIW the latest Tesla securitization (Tesla Auto Lease Trust 2021-A has average FICO or 789. The entire Tesla serviced lease portfolio as of Jan 31 had delinquency off .48%.In connect Tesla average credit score is the highest in the industry, vanquishing Mercedes-Benz. Despite the Tesla stellar quality they continue to be forced to over collateralize because the rating agencies keep doubting Tesla resale values. In reality Tesla has had minimal losses on residual value risk. Of course, part fo that is the habit of higher quality lessors to habitually terminate prior to lease maturation so residual value risk vanishes. Disclosures on that issue are not complete but the evidence suggests average early termination rate is around 65% or so.

Loans have not been typically done by Tesla directly and probably will not be any time soon. Tesla does originate loans through a variety of lenders, as do all auto dealers. The primary and huge difference between Tesla and everyone else is that Tesla does not sell T&T, give spiffs, mark up loans or pay with money factors or residual values.

Yes, Tesla does do leases and originates loans. No, they are not in any way comparable to anybody else.
Clue: that .48% lease delinquency rate is very, very low. Partly that happens because Tesla lease are not hobbled with numerous markups and other gimmicks that characterize most global auto lease markets. Exceptions do exist but they are primarily for commercial and company lease products, not retail ones.

Smart investors are eager to buy Tesla securitization. They're richly priced and have lower than suggested risk. Teslais paying the price for starting in this business in 2013. The day the overall Tesla credit rating reaches investment grade this paper will suddenly have lower coupons and lower coverage ratios. In the meantime Tesla is paying high prices in part to help them becomes well-experienced as a high-performing issuer.

Uh... wow. This seems to translate to "We don't understand anything about the business, so we'll move our price target around to be whatever the price is now, more or less." I guess this way they can't be too wrong at any particular time.
Which is par for the course. Last year Murphy raised his PT to 500, basically saying that TSLA is worth more now because its high valuation allows the company to raise more money for future expansions. I kid you not.