Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as it is a real 500 miles, but 500 miles EPA is more like 350 actual highway speed miles.
Which is really what most of us need, Actually I think the Model S LR 412 will give me the range most if us need when on a road trip. Our 2015 Model S 85D has about 255 rated range now and about 180-200 real range in nice weather. Would like 300+ in nice weather. Oh and this is without driving into single digit % left.

Last edited:
People seem so certain that Shanghai did not deliver Model Ys to SKorea. I have no idea why the certainty since no one has total visibility.
Here is one person claiming that no ship went from Shanghai to Pyeongtaek SK but I in fact tracked the TOKYO CAR ship from Shanghai to Pyeongtaek on May 24-28..

View attachment 670566

TOKYO CAR - Ports visited:
View attachment 670570

Counterpoint:

However, if Tesla doesn't want to further restrict Model Y supply in the US but has the supply to spare from Shanghai even if at a premium, then exporting from Shanghai -> South Korea makes sense.

Enjoy the ride on the new track!

interesting color - looks very close to the signature red? Hope we see some more options on colors out of Austin and Berlin

1623090132216.png

I'm not so sure that's the case with tabless cells.

For tabbed cells, the larger the diameter the physical format, the longer the linear length of the current collecting anode & cathode, and hence a longer (i.e. greater resistance) pathway for current to flow to get to the tab and the endcap.

For tabbed cells, this is no longer the case. The entire edge of the current collector is in contact with the cap, eliminating the single tab. Current now has a direct pathway from that edge to the cap regardless of the length of the collector, and hence the diameter of the cell.

Similar for thermal conductivity. That foil is in contact with the metal cap and allows a direct highly conductive pathway for cooling... no longer does heat have to traverse multiple "jelly-roll" layers to the side-casing of the cell. Thus diameter is not a limiter for cooling as it was in the tabbed designs.
Smaller is better, but perhaps not by much at the scale we are discussing.
The larger the diameter, the higher the volume to surface area ratio is, so a higher thermal load per unit area and cooling is decreased (end caps grow, but cell wall is shared across all layers).
The larger the diameter, the further the take off leads get from the individual cap to electrode contact points, increasing resistance.
The longer the cell, the further heat and electricity need to flow, so worse cooling and resistance.

Counterpoint:

However, if Tesla doesn't want to further restrict Model Y supply in the US but has the supply to spare from Shanghai even if at a premium, then exporting from Shanghai -> South Korea makes sense.
Also, we don't know MIC Y margins compared to US Y margins.

We simply don't know yet and the May numbers will be out soon enough to chew on.

Smaller is better, but perhaps not by much at the scale we are discussing.
The larger the diameter, the higher the volume to surface area ratio is, so a higher thermal load per unit area and cooling is decreased (end caps grow, but cell wall is shared across all layers).
Granted, but given the cooling medium is attached on the bottom cap, that's where the real practical cooling is taking place.

The larger the diameter, the further the take off leads get from the individual cap to electrode contact points, increasing resistance.
Not sure that's the case.. the internals pictures I've seen make it appear that the folded-over current collector edge is of uniform length and therefore in contact with the entire underside of the cap:
4680.jpg

The longer the cell, the further heat and electricity need to flow, so worse cooling and resistance.
I'll agree with you there's some practicality in terms of scale here. Ultimately that means a 1mm tall cell would be best from a pure physics perspective...from a practical perspective not so much... ;)

Lucid's in a different boat. For them a 500+mi model makes sense because they are unit assembly constrained not cell constrained. Their newly built factory with an inexperienced workforce can only put together a few hundred cars this year, so might as well max out revenue per car by putting a max range battery in there.
Lucid is not planning for a 500+ mile battery this year and it's not clear to me they will get to it next year either.

Otherwise it seems pretty odd to cancel the vehicle at this late stage when it had plenty of orders and so much work had already gone into the tri motor powertrain.
The tri-motor powertrain will ship with the plaid S, debut on Thursday. And it will have a newly-designed 18650-based bty pack. And those 18650 cells will contain all the technical improvements learned with 2170 production at Giga Nevada.

And the Plaid S will be the best car in the world (by a factor of 2).

#Twitterpation