Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the attention is on Plaid right now, but just a friendly reminder as shareholders......there's enough updates/changes in just the LR S/X now to I think warrant expecting a full cycle upgrade from consumers over the next couple of years. The new interior alone I think will cause a full cycle upgrade.

So pretty much bare minimum, I expect every S/X owner from pre 2020 to upgrade in the next couple of years. And then remember that they're saying the refreshed S/X are cheaper to make than the previous LR S/X and that they sell for $10,000 more and that Tesla is going back to 2 shifts to cover the demand (which is super important.....2X shifts on the same line gives much better operational leverage and thus operating margin/profits than 1 shift on the same line). Also.....there will be zero incentive discounts on end of quarter for the refreshed S/X for a least the next year or two. The S/X throughout 2020 would get pretty decent end of quarter discounts each quarter which I feel hurt their margins quite a bit.

Essentially what I'm saying is S/X will have material impact on earnings even though they're lower volume because the margins/profits are going to be THAT good. Q3 earnings should get a boost.....but Q4 earnings is where it will really show it's impact.

Last edited:
This has been bugging me.

40EAD229-6408-4BAA-9EAB-486373216958.jpeg

or, more accurately,

Tesla delivers the fastest production car ever as high-end rivals lag years behind.

Maybe the resistance is that he sees it as stupid. I have never thought of using waypoints unless I am given a blind mission by Simmon going around new York with John Mcclain trying to diffuse bombs. You always know where you want to go. In a video game, waypoints are used because you don't know where you need to go.

The ability to have even one additional waypoint would allow me to plan a "there and back" daytrip before I leave to see which SC I might stop at for a quick top-up. Or whether I will need to charge at all. It would be nice to know before I leave. I'm totally shocked at this omission every time I want to do a 250-350 mile roundtrip from home. There is no easy workaround and I think Tesla really dropped the ball here. So I plan it manually without using the otherwise superior app built right into my car. Or, I just leave and don't worry about it knowing it will all work out. But if I had a tighter time schedule and I was trying to let different people know when I would be meeting with them I couldn't just "wing it" without introducing some serious inefficiencies. If anyone knows of a way to tell the car I'm somewhere else other than my actual location, I would do it in a two-step (or multi-step) process. But, AFAIK, Tesla does not even allow that!

This is, by far, the biggest deficiency of my car. Fortunately, it's about the only significant deficiency I can even think of. Yes, I could use a Better Route Planner but I don't want another app in my life, that's why the car has a built-in navigation planner. So it's really unforgiveable that you can't add at least one or two additional waypoints. Because it's a really good app otherwise.

Sandy's not so impressed with the hoses in the Mach E (or any other vehicle for that matter). Lots of components increasing costs and areas for mistakes in assembly. These connectors are prone to leaks. Octovalve solves this.

No idea what the unit that says "scrap if dropped" does. LOL.

View attachment 672176
In all fairness, in subsequent videos Munro really likes the suspension and the way the car
drives. He recommends the Mach-E and considers it the only Tesla competitor. He plans on buying a Mach-E and doing a complete teardown.

11.5 million shares at 1:45 on a friday afternoon after a reveal.
Amazing.
Not the price the sheer lack of volume.
It's a necessary part of maturing into a megacap company. Trading activities decrease, along with volatility, of course until the next big catalyst hits. Big buyers have a price range to buy and sell in. It's a good sign that TSLA is settling into the 6xx range as this happens.

I’m going to suggest Tesla make you wait for shooting from the hip before letting your brain engage. You’re not new and I was wondering last night if your account had been hacked. You came real close to getting a disagree from me, which I tend to not give to members I enjoy even if I really disagree with them.
How about an Act of Contrition and three Our Father's?
My grandfather is Jewish so I can throw in Selichot.
Yours is a cruel and unusual punishment.
(Do I get any time off for the single engine model Y I have a $2.5K deposit on for the last 2 years?)

Believe it or not, he used to be the #1 on tipranks and even now he would have a pretty decent rating if he just ignored TSLA and never made any predictions about it.
He is a generally bearish and picks companies he thinks are over-valued. And his sell predictions work for most of his picks with the notable exception of Tesla.
Looking at his history, it seems he picked SolarCity and predicted its demise before Elon decided to bail it out. He started covering Tesla following the SolarCity acquisition, so it seems his deep hatred of Tesla / Elon is rooted in the SolarCity saga, which basicaly ruined his career.

Thats cherry picking. Everyone can be a good analyst with a collection of random stock picks and justify them being a good analyst if you just remove their underperforming stock ratings after the fact.

No, he actually WAS the #1 highest rated analyst on tipranks, there is nothing cherry-picking about that, simple fact.
The SolarCity -> Tesla coverage has ruined his performance directly and now he is a bottom-ranked purely due to this one stock that has skyrocketed in the last year when he predicted it to go down. This is simply the way tipranks scoring works. He is full of BS and cannot value Tesla properly due to his emotional approach (he hates Tesla for messing up his SolarCity prediction).
However, saying that it is "cherry picking" to look at his performance without Tesla, when in fact that was a historical fact -- NOT a cherry-picked bad performer from his portfolio -- is just as emotional from your part (you hate him for being the enemy who spreads FUD about Tesla on CNBC).

PS: to further clarify: the factual timeline of him being highest rank, then starting to cover Tesla, then Tesla rising ~20x which in turn pushed his rating to the bottom makes it completely legitimate question of what would be his rating without starting the Tesla coverage. And the answer to that legit question is, he would be in top-300 still.

Last edited:
This has been bugging me.

View attachment 672224
or, more accurately,

Tesla delivers the fastest production car ever as high-end rivals lag years behind.

Indeed, nevertheless the Plaid seems to be a Tesla chest-pumping creation that will likely be high margin but low volume. It appears designed to be Tesla's currently top-of-the-line car that is better than competitors in virtually all ways. The idea would be for its virtues to still attract middle income buyers to Tesla's more affordable models. The Plaid presentation should have enhanced the Tesla brand cachet without any need to pay for advertising.

Last edited:
Example:

Im going on a drive to Mt. Lassen, California, and there aren't any superchargers there. But I want to drive there, walk around, and then drive to charge.

Nav will tell me I will arrive at Mt. Lassen with 30% charge, but I don't have any method of checking how much it will take to get from Mt. Lassen to a Supercharger.

Also Mt. Lassen has really bad cell reception, so if I want to stop off at multiple places in the park, it would be nice to queue them up in nav before I get there.

With waypoints I could plan out the whole trip and have a high degree of confidence where my state of charge would be when I get to a supercharger after my adventure. Right now its just head math, which frankly has never failed me, but would still be nice to have.

I totally agree with you and that's the best thing about the app in the car, it takes into account elevation. I will point out that your range from the Mount Lassen Trailhead will be incredible! It's at 8500 feet and Hwy 89 traffic moves at a nice speed to extend your range further. Even starting with only 30% battery, you will be able to drive a shocking distance!

As a native English speaker, I was confused as to its use. It's tartan
As a native speaker of American English, I think of tartan as a subset of plaid: Tartan refers to a plaid with a traditional pattern of colors originating from Scotland likely of wool cloth. Plaid to me is a more general name for a cross hatched pattern of any combination of colors. These combinations are often creative though at times so disastrous that it would be insulting to the Scots to lump them in with Tartan. :)

My son eschews plaids. I suspect he considers them staid because his pop wears them. What he doesn’t realize is that plaid is in fact quite a racy and fast sartorial choice—as Elon and Tesla just incontrovertibly demonstrated. :cool:

No, he actually WAS the #1 highest rated analyst on tipranks, there is nothing cherry-picking about that, simple fact.
The SolarCity -> Tesla coverage has ruined his performance directly and now he is a bottom-ranked purely due to this one stock that has skyrocketed in the last year when he predicted it to go down. This is simply the way tipranks scoring works. He is full of BS and cannot value Tesla properly due to his emotional approach (he hates Tesla for messing up his SolarCity prediction).
However, saying that it is "cherry picking" to look at his performance without Tesla, when in fact that was a historical fact -- NOT a cherry-picked bad performer from his portfolio -- is just as emotional from your part (you hate him for being the enemy who spreads FUD about Tesla on CNBC).

PS: to further clarify: the factual timeline of him being highest rank, then starting to cover Tesla, then Tesla rising ~20x which in turn pushed his rating to the bottom makes it completely legitimate question of what would be his rating without starting the Tesla coverage. And the answer to that legit question is, he would be in top-300 still.
He was rated number one back in 2013. Then you go on to say he'd still be rated well if it wasn't for tesla. That last part. That's picking cherries 🤷‍♂️.

Reactions: BornToFly
$50k for a $1.8M+ Hypercar performance is an even better deal for the customer.
That is how capitalism is supposed to function! Both parties benefit in the transaction!

In this case, we hope there is a third beneficiary which would be our environment and the world at large. Better bet than an ICE car, IMO.

Yes under conditions. If you have load with 6 people and a few hundred lbs in trunk and frunk, and pulling a trailer. It may not do as speced.

In related news, Usain Bolt has been outed as a fraud for not really being a world record holder that runs a 100m dash in 9.58 seconds because he can't do it while simultaneously bench pressing 325 pounds and piggybacking 2 toddlers.