Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No kidding! Not surprised.

"ERCOT officials said the power plant outages were unexpected — and could not provide details as to what could be causing them."
[your quote]                     But the invisible hand of the markets should be fixing it!

[...]                                                 The invisible hand will fix it, right?

(yay, ascii-memes!)

Not that the following matters to Tesla as CT will sell out with US demand for years to come.
The entire reason I mentioned this at all was because Tesla detractors were using the existence of the Cybertruck's bed wings as a reason why it couldn't sell well. Not only will it sell well, the bed wings will not hinder the most commonly cited tasks they allegedly prevent.

Using Australia as a comparison, most of the Australian pickups (called utes) would be considered midsized cute in the US. As in, "Awww....look at that cute little thing."
FTFY

Side loading was used frequently, as was the ability to carry items wider than the truck resting on the sides of the bed. I'd imagine loading sand/gravel in the back of a CT via a loader/tractor would be more tricky as the bucket would need to go over the wings, not just the height of the bed. There's quite a few other tasks I think the wings will make more annoying to perform.
The Cybertruck was not designed for the Australian market. If the Aussies are patient, they will eventually be able to get a Cybertruck in Australia. It's not going to be for many years from now.

As far as loading sand/gravel from a bucket, this is typically not a job for a 1/2 ton truck . One yard of gravel, which doesn't go far in the construction industry, weighs ~1.35 tons. Yet this is the most cited reason by Tesla detractors why the wing sides will prevent the Cybertruck from competing well against legacy ICE trucks.

However, if you have ever seen a 1/3 yard or 1/2 yard bucket of gravel loaded in a pickup bed, you would know the loader operator has to have the bucket tilted all the way back as the load is driven over the bed. Once the bucket is in the proper position it is lowered to the height at which the prongs or lip on the bottom of the bucket won't contact the bottom of the bed as the bucket is rotated forward and the load spills out. The wings will not interfere with this operation. However, this is very hard on a light-duty truck bed, regardless of whether the wings are there or not because the wings will not require a higher drop height than no wings. Even on a flatbed with 6- 8" bed sides (wooden boards) staked in, the loader has to drop the load so the bottom lip of the bucket does not contact the bed surface and the pile of gravel is free of the bucket.

This is not what people buy 1/2 ton trucks for, small loads of gravel are almost always hauled by 1-ton flatbeds with payload capacities around 2-3 1/3 tons. It's a story made up by Tesla detractors.

I don't think the design allows for Cab/chassis sales either - which take up a reasonable portion of the market - and allow for modifications of the bed to suit unique needs.

Again, the Cybertruck is designed for the largest 1/2 ton pickup truck market in the world, North America. Cab/chassis sales are almost never 1/2 ton light-duty trucks. Cab and chassis sales are heavy-duty trucks. I'm not sure where you got this idea that cab/chassis sales were significant in this market.

Last edited:
Just sent Sandy $13.
5E4DA61E-504F-464A-ADDC-8ED90611CFB9.jpeg

Won't kneeling make it way easier to side load Cybertruck than ICE truck??
Well if you could drop the front or the whole cyber truck yes. So the bucket of a front end loader can drop the load without hitting side of the bed closest to the front. You want the bucket to go over the side and down so you are not dropping the load from 3 or more feet and messing up the bed or suspension with a gravity enhanced drop. dirt is more forgiving then firewood.

Kneeling the back of course makes it much easier to load some things from the rear.

Interesting experience with mobile service today. Dude showed up in a beat up 85D with Illinois plates here in Virginia. I asked him about the plates and he said no idea and the tags have been expired for 5 months. He had apparently complained to the management 3 times about them, but it was not high up on their list to get fixed. Looks like they're still in startup mode.

Anyways, he changed out the cabin air filters and thanked me profusely for buying one of the earliest 3s and 'saving' the company. :D

The use of carbon fiber in the motor has got me wondering if Tesla will pursue more uses for it in their vehicles, namely the Roadster.

It would seem that a carbon fiber chassis could have way more pro's than con's. Assuming it can be made and recycled sustainably of course.

Also, it is interesting that we didn't come across a JD (Job Description) posting on Tesla for a materials engineer with carbon expertise. I wonder how many they have already?

While I don't think it is highly probable, I could see this as a discussion point for folks to ponder.

I don't think BMW is currently fully utilizing the carbon plan in Moses Lake, WA. I'd bet they could get it for cheap!

People who think Gordo is actually 'smart' should really reconsider:

View attachment 673601

Even one of the biggest $TSLAQ had to chime in:

View attachment 673602

Anyone interested in reading about his latest BS...

I actually think he's very smart, TBH I like him (boo on me!), but he's being paid handsomely to lie, and that must be very dispiriting for a hard working and honest man like Gordon

Sending thoughts and prayers...

Teslarati - today: Tesla’s market disruption may lead to healthy slice of global auto market: Mizuho

Excerpt:

Mizuho is bullish on the idea that TSLA could gain further traction in the EV market by leaving behind legacy companies and newcomers to the BEV sector due to its overwhelming lead in battery tech and autonomous driving developments. The company’s considerable lead in both of these categories makes it a prime candidate to begin even more disruption of the global automotive market. Mizuho believes Tesla could achieve at least 10% of the total market share in the coming years.

Rakesh is ranked 93 out of 7,551 analysts on TipRanks and holds a five-star rating with an average return of 26.3% and a success rate of 69%. He holds Tesla with an $820.00 price target and a “Buy” rating for the stock.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Generally bullish response to that on CNBC - half hour ago:
Tesla shares fall despite buy call — Two traders on whether now is the time to get in

Last edited:
OT. Well I woke up early in this morning, and while expecting another boring day watching the time value of my option calls slowly eat away at their (current) face value (but also expecting a surprise climb, any day, sometime this year), an idea came to me*.

Forget radar, too slow and complicated to integrate with NN / Vision AI.

Something way easier and useful IMHO would be to incorporate a version of convoy assist driving: assuming there will be more and more Teslas on the roads, Tesla HQ would know which cars could share a segment of road driving, and sync their positions so one could follow the other - the advantage would be that the second (third etc) would benefit from the lead car driver's attention.

They would "see" ahead better than the lead car would as that they would also register that lead car's vision info.
More daring even would be to have following cars follow very closely, thus reducing air drag and improving fuel uh EWH economy - since they see / communicate w/ea other they could do so with extreme precision and confidence.

*and I hope some Tesla engineers read this, I'd be thrilled if it were implemented, tho if it makes sense, it probably is in the pipeline already.

PS. IF our political leaders had any sense they would incorporate V2X tech into our infrastructure and accelerate standards for X2X communications. That would really make sense, also actually remove a big chunk of Tesla's advantage, so rescue legacy car makers. Not going to happen of course, Jimmy Carter was probably the last elected political leader who had enough tech common sense and leadership to understand any of this.
Convoy assist could help other Tesla's plan, schedule, gather and join the convoy, especially for long trips on the same highways. THAT would warrant high occupancy lane use where available. How cool would platoons of Teslas hypermiling 6' apart be, dutifully rotating their first-in-line position, occasional short-timers occasionally joining and leaving, occasionally partaking of the occasional integral, non-stop high-speed Boring Company tunnels, bypassing occasional congestion-prone urban areas, all while lowering supercharger use.

One good set of Boring Company tunnels between, say, New Jersey and Manhattan, or any long-overdue proposed place where a subway line has been needed for many years, would be an excellent disruption to subways and traditional tunnel building, with their union-bloated expenses.

I hope some Tesla engineers read this too, @CLK350 !

The Nasdaq 100 has been under pressure all day, as it drags down high beta TSLA. This during a two-day FOMC meeting from which monetary policy will be revealed tomorrow afternoon. Anticipation of that may be making some traders risk averse. There's also concern about a new Covid variant. Finally, there is the positioning for the quarterly (Triple Witching) options expiration on Friday.