Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM been pretty quiet.
"The Mach-E 1400 has pulled off a 10.78-second quarter mile, so it's not even close. However, since it's a one-off project, Ford could really do whatever it wanted to make the car produce at an even higher level."

7 motors and can't even go sub 10? How is this car 1400 hp or that just happens for 1 second. ?

"The Mach-E 1400 has pulled off a 10.78-second quarter mile, so it's not even close. However, since it's a one-off project, Ford could really do whatever it wanted to make the car produce at an even higher level."

7 motors and can't even go sub 10? How is this car 1400 hp or that just happens for 1 second. ?
Inefficient drive train, heating issues, suspension and handling problems come to mind.

In regards to the constant barrage from FSD competitors on how great their simulations are, I made a twitter thread trying to explain why unique edge case data is more valuable.

Got to agree that simulations are great, but its' a fallacy: Tesla does simulations too.

Anyone with a basic understanding of machine learning/AI knows that simulation is a good tool, but it's far from enough by itself. Let me know if there is any respectable ML/AI engineer/scientist claims otherwise. Those yelling on top of their lungs about how great FSD competitors are with their simulations are either clueless or FUD or both.

Does it have 7 wheels too ? 😱 That might make driving awkward and explain the problems.🤪
Otherwise what is the point of putting in more motors than wheels ?
You just gonna make multiple motors fight each other with compounding back-EMFs...

I have mixed feelings about Sandy doing a Plaid tear down. Good publicity, but reveals at least some Tesla tech advances to the competition without them having to pay for it.
Depends.
He could do youtube videos of a lot of interesting stuff for us Tesla nerds, a get both PR and some ad money, while still keeping some nuggets hidden for paying customers. As I recall, Munro does very detailed costing those could be very interesting for OEMS. Investors and youtube crowd would like to know the tech and manufactoring highlights in summation, spiced up with Munro's trademark observations and comments. Few casual viewers are clamoring for 300+ pages of itemized and highly granular costing.
2 birds, 1 stone.
Some beans might be spilled by Team Munro's keen observations, but they have been tearing down Tesla's since 2017, and competitors haven't caught up yet...

2 birds, 1 stone.
Some beans might be spilled by Team Munro's keen observations, but they have been tearing down Tesla's since 2017, and competitors haven't caught up yet...
The stuff he shares on his youtube channel is far too high level to be of use to a competitor. It would make his detailed reports cheaper/faster to obtain though.

Not that the following matters to Tesla as CT will sell out with US demand for years to come.

Using Australia as a comparison, most of the Australian pickups (called utes) would be considered midsized in the US. We had around 10 or so on our farm (sold now) at any given time in various stages of repair - new for tasks that required high reliability and roadworthiness, old beaters for short haul trips around the farm. Side loading was used frequently, as was the ability to carry items wider than the truck resting on the sides of the bed. I'd imagine loading sand/gravel in the back of a CT via a loader/tractor would be more tricky as the bucket would need to go over the wings, not just the height of the bed. There's quite a few other tasks I think the wings will make more annoying to perform. Certain truck mods would also need to be redesigned (e.g. stock crates).

View attachment 673594

I don't think the design allows for Cab/chassis sales either - which take up a reasonable portion of the market - and allow for modifications of the bed to suit unique needs.
View attachment 673596

Anywho I don't think farmers are the target market for CT and my thread is ignoring all the benefits in this post a powerful EV would have. But I'd want to test out a CT for a while before committing to it over the traditional shape.

A valid point, @CorneliusXX .

My thought is, in the goal of electrifying and radically improving the pickup segment, Tesla has aimed for something around 60%-80% of the total market. This excludes, like you say, cab chassis, but also full 8' bed, UTEs, European road-worthy, etc.

Of course if Tesla were to take over even 10% of the annual worldwide total of ~4-5 million pickups (450,000), they'd be thrilled - as would us investors! They don't need to aim for 100%. Aiming for 60% and getting a sixth of that would do fine.

I'm kinda surprised by this early, unscientific poll of 28,000 respondents by Piplsay showing interest in Cybertruck and Ford F150 Lightning is about equal - again, a promising sign.

1623790689597.png

I don't really care much for track comparisons, but that's absurd. Can we confirm that yellow driver(the P1?) was at least adequate?

The unofficial rumor is a lap time at Laguna Seca of 1:29.9... here are some cars to compare it to:

It defeats all but the most trackiest of track cars. This is a four door sedan...