Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar here. It has been great seeing cost averaging and malign market forces bringing my cost basis down over the last few months. I bought a few at $880 but a lot more down in the $500s after the SP tanked. I don't think I'd have had the stones to do that without the encouragement of this thread.
Oh those 800 chairs I still own are gonna stick around until at least 1,000. Like multiple thorns in my side.
I have another hunch... this is just the beginning!

Somewhat OT but quickly before the market opens, I hear a lot of chatter on non-Tesla sites concerning bad cell/wi-fi coverage as one of the excuses for connectivity issues with Electrify America and others. I suspect Starlink could solve a lot of those issues. Seems the perfect solution for those out of the way DCFC's. I'm not fluent in tech but how do Tesla's never have this issue at remote Superchargers? My reception for nav/radio can be spotty in East Bumblefudge.

The fact that Tesla Superchargers don't appear to be affected by data outages implies Tesla made the system robust by allowing any car to charge during a data outage, even if that Tesla account was in arrears. Alternatively, each Supercharger location maintains a skeleton database of every account in arrears that is updated when it has connectivity but I find this highly unlikely because it has the problem of potentially NOT allowing an account that had been recently paid up to charge if there was a data outage. Tesla would likely rather give away a charge for free during a data outage than prevent a valid account from charging.

This is a problem of third party charge networks - they will only charge after they have connected to their corporate data center and verified payment. This probably explains why there is a large disparity between how quickly a Supercharger begins charging and how painfully long it takes third party chargers to start charging. Because the Superchargers multitasks, it starts charging right away and deals with billing in the background.

This is first-principles thinking in action, start charging as soon as it's safe to do so and deal with the boring details separately.

Last edited:
The fact that Tesla Superchargers don't appear to be affected by data outages implies Tesla made the system robust by allowing any car to charge during a data outage, even if that Tesla account was in arrears. Alternatively, each Supercharger location maintains a skeleton database of every account in arrears that is updated when it has connectivity but I find this highly unlikely because it has the problem of potentially NOT allowing an account that had been recently paid up to charge if there was a data outage. Tesla would likely rather give away a charge for free during a data outage than prevent a valid account from charging.

This is a problem of third party charge networks - they will only charge after they have connected to their corporate data center and verified payment.
Best explanation. I hv never been turned down for a Supercharge. That's the secret, doesn't operate realtime. Its buffered accounting methods.

Wait so Tesla doesn’t have to write down the difference in bitcoin value from end of Q1 to end of Q2? Only the diff between purchase price and end of Q2 price?

That’s a huge difference because if it’s compared to end of Q1 it’s a loss of like 25k per bitcoin at the moment
Just from the purchase price to the recorded low. Estimates are around 100 million.

This is a problem of third party charge networks - they will only charge after they have connected to their corporate data center and verified payment. This probably explains why there is a large disparity between how quickly a Supercharger begins charging and how painfully long it takes third party chargers to start charging. Because the Superchargers multitasks, it starts charging right away and deals with billing in the background.

This is first-principles thinking in action, start charging as soon as it's safe to do so and deal with the boring details separately.

The fact that I was able to charge despite my CC being void (stolen) also supports this. It wasn't until a bit later that I got the message in car telling me to pay up.

15,200,233 shares traded in the first 1.5 hrs of the Main session (that's on top of the 1M traded Pre-market).

Longs eagerly buying up the slighest dnward move; shortzes b like:

d11.jpg

Cheers!

Hummer is priced at Model X levels and will sell similar numbers. 50k/year. Even with zero sales in Europe.

Lyric starts $60k and will sell ~75k per year.

These are not mass market vehicles. These are the first two Ultium vehicles as the first of four ~30 GWh/year factories ramp up. eSilverado among others will be mass market.

Yes, Bolt is an econobox with a $15k premium and no $7.5k Fed Tax Credit vs very similar vehicles from the competition with a $7.5k Fed Tax Credit.

BTW Ford is headquarted in Dearborn. GM is headquartered in Detroit.
You don’t actually believe they’ll sell that many, do you?! 😳

Could work both ways. Many stretched TSLA shareholders well be tempted to sell off some of their shares to buy Starlink (any guesses on the symbol it will get?)
SToNK
.. is the market really reacting to the Plaid (&3) runs at Pike's peak? super cool
or P&D?
or just the fact that I never do options... only watch them here like Netflix. can't complain if you don't lose tho ;)
maybe Barron's article saying Tsla is boring

Last edited:
I don’t agree. The MS note actually came out just prior to the start of the run. I believe it was the signal.
To me it seems obvious that the market is reacting today to Elon’s tweet of Starlink IPO and that Tesla share holders may get preferential treatment… Brilliant tweet, will lead to new investors in TSLA

To me it seems obvious that the market is reacting today to Elon’s tweet of Starlink IPO and that Tesla share holders may get preferential treatment… Brilliant tweet, will lead to new buyers of TSLA
Except the stock lifted off yesterday before that Tweet, so I don't think it's that obvious.

This is why options are pure gambling and so risky. Out of the blue, TSLA just starts taking off.