Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assume for a moment that the various VAG MEB products that are made in China are simply not being received well by the Chinese clients, which is what the data is suggesting. If that were so, unless there are supply-side issues, then VAG ought to be shipping them to Europe or North America so as to feed the supposed demand in those locations. After all, if it works for Tesla that strategy ought to work for China. Given that VAG do not appear to be doing this then the logical conclusion is that either there is also a supply chain problem (cells, semiconductors ?) or there is such weak product profitability that these cars are not worth the cost of shipping them outside China, or perhaps both. So I think this data showing weak VAG sales in China is also indicating other problems than just "buyers don't find the MEB product portfolio vs other (Tesla) offerings".
China/USA Passat was different from EU Passat. Seems less likely for MEB platform cars, but are VW building them in China or is SAIC in charge, are there differences in the cars or the consumers? If consumers, then Berlin Teslas might eat VW sales in Europe once brand loyalty is tested & reduced. Still a lot of suspicion towards USA built/designed cars in Europe.

1624528996211.png

Once profits are booked, are you saying price usually goes down? Or all bets are off sort of thing? Delta hedging is fascinating, and do they have their own algos for this? You mentioned weak market makers…. What do the strong market makers do?
Who knows where price will end, but a rule of thumb is when volatility increases it stays that way for a while. And this might be good volatility with an upward bias.

Of course Delta hedging is fairly automated at the market makers, but they may have different parameters for when they'll hedge. So some of them do end up going home with a directional exposure and they need larger moves to hedge. Which may spill over into next day(s)

“Panasonic is working to set up a prototype production line to test 4680 batteries — a next-generation lithium-ion cell touted as the key to unlocking cheaper and more ubiquitous EVs. If Panasonic looks to be capable of churning out better performing cells more efficiently than rivals, it will make a “large investment” in their production, according to Kusumi. Panasonic will seek to supply them to Tesla, as well as other automakers.”

Looks like MMs are allowing TSLA to snap back and/or are covering. Pretty genius manipulation to make all those Apr - Jun21 options expire worthless.

I wonder how expensive this little diversion was for them? I'm out about 50k of what should been easy money. No such thing I guess.
I find it weird that all other EVs are following TSLA too. Hedgies are rotating back funds to EV stocks with the Biden EV program? Or just blatant market manipulation from the last months?

Last edited:
Good find but I'm not sure it addresses the core concern, that the beneficiaries, Tesla shareholders, are not part of the SpaceX ecosystem in the same way as the people who DSP's are typically setup for because even a DSP has costs associated with it and I'm not clear on how it could be structured so participating Tesla shareholders covered those costs.

Allows an issuer to reserve a certain number of directed shares in a registered offering for purchase by directors, employees and other persons (such as vendors, customers, family members, consultants and others) who might not otherwise receive an allocation of shares in the offering.

That may be why Elon was not more definitive in his offer. Hopefully he can make it happen without objections from the SpaceX board or shareholders.
Could they sell Starlink to Tesla, and pay SpaceX shareholders dividends?

Then, spin off Starlink from Tesla in an IPO and Tesla shareholders would receive Starlink shares as a by-product?
(no idea if this could be limited to only reward shareholders of some specific minimum term held)

“Panasonic will seek to supply them to Tesla, as well as other automakers.”

That bit is interesting. Given that Tesla is heavily involved with these cells, would there be some licensing fees involved if they're used by other automakers? I get this aligns with Tesla's mission but I wouldn't like to think of them "giving away" this technology for free.

That bit is interesting. Given that Tesla is heavily involved with these cells, would there be some licensing fees involved if they're used by other automakers? I get this aligns with Tesla's mission but I wouldn't like to think of them "giving away" this technology for free.

The cell itself is only part of the solution, pack design with respect to battery management and cooling is also a huge point, and Tesla isn't giving that knowledge away for the other brands.

There are a number of aspects to 4680 tech revealed at Battery Day, there is no all or nothing component to their production, is there?

It has always seemed to me that others using the 4680 size format is no big deal. Even using Tabless would be aligned with the mission.

Tesla could keep Dry Electrode tech and production manufacturing in house or under license without hindering the expansion of 4680 production without these elements.

Wanted to share a helpful link from the US press. This is the CNBC list of stocks which are the "biggest movers" in the premarket.

You'll notice that TSLA is nowhere to be found on today's list, so from that we can conclude the +2.54% currently showing for TSLA is in fact a market-wide display error. Please invest accordingly while we troubleshoot this glitch.

Wanted to share a helpful link from the US press. This is the CNBC list of stocks which are the "biggest movers" in the premarket.

You'll notice that TSLA is nowhere to be found on today's list, so from that we can conclude the +2.54% currently showing for TSLA is in fact a market-wide display error. Please invest accordingly while we troubleshoot this glitch.
Friends don't let Friends watch CNBC....just saying.

Arguably, the expectation of Starlink IPO access adds extrinsic value to Tesla shares, like a warrant. I don't know if there is even a legal basis for it, but if it starts looking more likely as time goes on, the "volatility" will go up and add value.
Could work both ways. Many stretched TSLA shareholders well be tempted to sell off some of their shares to buy Starlink (any guesses on the symbol it will get?)