Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The old saw 'racing improves the breed' is probably no longer valid.

That's like the old idea that we get so many cool things from war spending so it's worth it. War, just like racing, is just forcing the relevant entity to focus on improving something. If the goal is civilian goods or cars that are better for consumer purposes, these are very inefficient ways to conduct research. Not a coincidence that Tesla doesn't care about showing off in any of the racing circuits.

Done. Thanks.

Here is my longish comment for those who want ideas. Please don’t copy it verbatim:

I urge NHTSA to allow the replacement of vehicle side mirrors with camera systems. Any replacement should be made with the proviso that the camera system be evaluated and be considered as safe or safer than side mirrors.

There are at least a half dozen benefits to allowing the use of camera systems in place of side mirrors:

1) Increase safety:
a. As vehicles become increasingly autonomous with more compute hardware and sophisticated software present, camera systems may be capable of analyzing the scene around the vehicle (not just what the side mirrors would have seen) and providing active warning
b. Side mirrors provide a very limited view and perhaps not from the best point of view. Camera systems afford the possibility to provide a better and more complete view to the driver. This might be done by locating the cameras higher or lower on the side of a vehicle or by combining views from multiple cameras.
c. Any projection from the vehicle, such as the side mirrors, are potential hazards. For example, motor cycle riders and cyclists may be caught on them.

2) Decrease use of fossil fuels: Eliminating projecting side mirrors in favor of near-flush cameras reduces the aerodynamic drag on the vehicle thereby increasing its efficiency and reducing its fuel consumption. Fossil fuels are a drain on consumers’ and taxpayers’ purses as well as having other costs to our country.

3) Decrease carbon dioxide emissions: Increased vehicle efficiency reduces CO2 emissions. This is a baby step towards making the world safer from the risks of climate change.

4) Decrease noxious emissions: Increased vehicle efficiency reduces noxious emissions. Surprisingly many vehicle exhaust systems are tampered with resulting in increased public health risk (Tampered Diesel Pickup Trucks: A Review of Aggregated Evidence from EPA Civil Enforcement Investigations | US EPA). Replacement of the mirrors is one way to decrease emissions in a way that is unlikely to be reversed in the field.

5) Decrease cost:
a. Cameras cost little today. Vehicles increasingly have large display screens and compute power with the cost already being born. Taking away the side mirrors will reduce cost for the manufacturer both for the materials in the mirror (including motors and electronics) and for the manufacture of the mirror. The consumer will potentially save money as well.
b. Side mirrors today are complex mechanical systems. Damage to them, which is not infrequent as they project, can lead to an expensive repair reaching above $1,000.

6) Assist automakers in the transition to battery electric vehicles (BEVs): Battery electric vehicles must be efficient (ideally ~100+ MPGe) to have acceptable range for consumers. The fuel efficiency of new traditional internal combustion engine vehicles in 2019 was 24.9 MPG according the US EPA (Highlights of the Automotive Trends Report | US EPA). Allowing the replacement of side mirrors with camera systems will help, by virtue of reducing drag, legacy automakers bridge the large gap in efficiency and, thus, help enable them to make more compelling BEV’s.

Cars are being increasingly dependent on digital systems—adding one more is unlikely to make them much, if any less reliable.

Thank you in advance for you attention to my comment.
^^^^^^Better than what I wrote^^^^^^^^

Reactions: wipster and capster
I agree there will be speculation either way. It's still better for Tesla be transparent. I disagree that since there will be speculation either way, Tesla shouldn't bother informing us.
Well, I think ‘us’ have proven to sometimes not deserve the transparency. No, really. And it’s better for everyone to let ‘us’ speculate ad naseum. Those then that want to improve themselves will have learned the lesson that jumping to conclusions makes them look like oatmeal raisin cookies. That being patient is in fact a virtue and everything works out in the end when you just accept reality and chill out.

Obviously, that’s just how I feel about people in general; they don’t actually deserve much of anything. 🤷

And the SP is just going to do what the crooks want it to, if and until they lose control.

Well, I think ‘us’ have proven to sometimes not deserve the transparency. No, really. And it’s better for everyone to let ‘us’ speculate ad naseum. Those then that want to improve themselves will have learned the lesson that jumping to conclusions makes them look like oatmeal raisin cookies. That being patient is in fact a virtue and everything works out in the end when you just accept reality and chill out.

Obviously, that’s just how I feel about people in general; they don’t actually deserve much of anything. 🤷

And the SP is just going to do what the crooks want it to, if and until they lose control.
I like to think of its not a question of 'if' more so a question of 'when'. Personally, i feel that this is them shaking out the weak like always, someone knows something and come Monday, we will find out.....could go up or it could go down 🤔

I woke up this noon to the good ol maxpain of somewhere between $640 and $645. With enough volume that the MM's will try pretty hard to keep it in that range.
So go to the beach.
I see max pain of 647.5 on maximum-pain.com. Are you able to get a more up to date figure for this @lafrisbee ? If so, please let us know how. Long time lurker, I created this account just to ask that question.

Some speculation on the S hold for what it's worth...

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 9.30.29 AM.png

Just added 200. This is setting up for a rocket next week on a big beat.
My 640 puts expiring today are very grateful 🙏

On a side note, this is the first time in what seems like forever that Tesla sold off ahead of earnings - and it’s sitting at the bottom of the channel... I can’t wait to see what happens if we get strong earnings 🚀

I like to think of its not a question of 'if' more so a question of 'when'. Personally, i feel that this is them shaking out the weak like always, someone knows something and come Monday, we will find out.....could go up or it could go down 🤔
We all have our own narrative and reality of what’s actually going on. They’ve been shaking out whatever for literally months now and before last year for years.

Loup - today: FSD Will Have Powerful Impact on Tesla Profits

Excerpt:

While the timing of Tesla reaching full autonomy is still an unknown, with Elon Musk less vocal on the topic over the past six months, the company is moving forward with the initiative. Tesla made it official, launching the subscription option for FSD. Expanding the addressable market for FSD through monthly payments is an important step along the long-term path to increasing margins, which will strengthen the company’s operating model. Improving profitability is central for mainstream tech investors to endorse Tesla as a true tech company.

Some speculation on the S hold for what it's worth...

View attachment 687259

jesus christ. Clearly he's just reading the Model S Delivery thread on this site and parroting the speculation there as "what he's hearing". I suppose he's a decent collator of prominent rumors, but the more tweets of his i see, the more i think 95% of his content is just stuff he saw on a messageboard somewhere.