Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@DaveT, thanks for your in depth interview with Chris Camillo. Fascinating insight. My favourite quote from Chris is at 23:00 mark....

"...for Retail Investors…the market is not rigged against you, it is rigged for you...the really important things, we actually have a huge advantage over institutional Wall Street, huge. The biggest disadvantage we have is that we don’t believe it, and they don’t want us to believe it. So we don’t actually do as much as we could with our advantage because we are always afraid of that they know something that we don’t."
The above quote from Chirs Camillo is worth repeating. Summary: we here on TMC know more than Wall Street about Tesla. This will play itself out and reward long term holders handsomely. Don't second guess your decisions based on incompetent knee jerk reactions by Wall Street. They will learn.

I am also starting to believe all they think Austin and Berlin will do is balance out production, not increase. They are thinking Tesla wont have the demand to support new factories. So the same amount of sales will happen in Europe once Berlin is ramped. Just less imports. Same amount of North American sales will occur and Austin will just handle the Y and Fremont the 3/S/X. CyberTruck will be a niche product and sell like the S and X at best. Yes they simply cant see what is right in front of their face.

They seem unable to realize how fast Tesla is growing. They figure that Tesla's previous growth was an aberration and they will just go back to normal growth levels that we see in legacy auto. Tesla has so many huge catalysts in the fire that they can afford to even lose a few and still be a blockbuster company. I doubt they lose any of them though.

As a shareholder since 2012 I had grown accustomed to the constant thought of "wow, the market really can't see what's going on here?". But over the past 8 months or so I've been more tepid, thinking perhaps the price had gotten ahead of itself and everyone had caught on.

Not anymore though. It's actually quite comforting to once again be able to see something obvious that the rest of the market doesn't.
Agreed. I had some of those thoughts myself. "perhaps we have run too far too quickly". This quarter was a complete validation of the Tesla thesis though.

I am saddened, but not surprised.
Wall Street is mostly a game of the super rich MM “bankers” that control it, with the purpose of taking the hard earned $ of the regular retail investors.
Remember GameStop.
Everyone who follows Tesla (that means all TMC members) know how the hedge funds have been playing TSLA for year.
The Fake news are just marketing outlets of the paying advertisers (read MM in this case) journalism doesn’t exist anymore.
I am just a tiny bit surprised that they have the power to control the share price of such a large cap stock after such a smashing Q report...

Best move at this point would be, if TSLA will give them a couple days to load up the short positions, and then announce a share dividend...

BTW: max pain is at $650...

Last edited:
More and more I am seeing people justify the decline based on the conference call. A call I found to be one of the most positive I have listened to. Amazes me that these analysts think that a Tesla call, especially with the current environment, is going to be a rah rah sessions. Tesla presents things positively, but cautiously. 4680 project going well, but issues exist and others could pop up. Austin and Berlin construction going well, but issues could pop up. Tesla is executing well during the chip shortage, but something could popup that it is harder for Tesla to work around. These analysts should understand that being optimistic, yet cautious is a good thing.

They seem unable to realize how fast Tesla is growing.

Exponential growth is difficult to comprehend and accept for most people. The charts and numbers show it, it's happening, but I really don't think most analysts truly believe it is happening or will continue to happen for Tesla.

Math doesn't lie though, and unless some act of God or terrible accident prevents it, Tesla will continue to grow exponentially for the near future.

I had posed the question yesterday after these stellar results of "What are the odds that $TSLA finishes red tomorrow" @dl003 :D
And I answered, most likely.

The next leg up is the release of FSD and we see a meaningful margin expansion from subscription to start justifying Tesla as a software company vs a low margin hardware company. So no matter how much cash they print from hardware, it doesn't matter as valuation is based on a software story(especially if you want to go higher from here).

Hardware keeps the lights on in time for software roll out is the story of Tesla.

Last edited:
And I answered, most likely.

The next leg up is the release of FSD and we see a meaningful margin expansion from subscription to start justifying Tesla as a software company vs a low margin hardware company. So no matter how much cash they print from hardware, it doesn't matter as valuation is based on a software story(especially if you want to go higher from here).

Hardware keeps the lights on in time for software is the story of Tesla.
While i agree with your analysis....i was secretly hoping i would be 100% wrong today :)

I know we all love to HODL, and I wholeheartedly agree....but a situation like this calls for a modicum of leverage, no? Would like to revisit the bull spread trade proposed here by a few people after 1Q earnings.

$1000/$1300 call spreads for Mar17 2023 cost about $3,300 per contract(spread) right now and yield a max profit of $26,200 with SP at $1300. That's a month and a half after the 4Q22 earnings report. Basically a bet that the entire global economy doesn't implode within 2 years and it yields 8/1.

For those unfamiliar with call spreads, I recommend reading this thread:

Applying options strategy 'the wheel' to TSLA

Gals and guys keep calm and remember this quote. "The stock market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time"
Don't be a fool be strategic. If the whales want to push this down be ready cause it's just a buying opportunity.
I sold more $550 Puts for next week; can't believe someone is willing to paid $2.5 for them.

This is really strange - it’s almost like people bought yesterday on the rumor of good earnings and then are selling today on the actual news of good earnings 🤔
Let me correct.

"This is really strange - it’s almost like people bought yesterday on the rumor of good earnings and then are selling today on the actual news of FANTASTIC earnings"