Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Well yeah-- I even sold some of em this morning.

Rebought them near close for over 50% profit too.

I know folks like squaksquare as a day trader, but he does not understand options. Like- at all.

His posts often suggest premiums are only collected when options hit their strike price for example, which is hilariously wrong.

That certainly works in Singapore and should work in other crowded urban areas. My experience in non-crowded areas has been different. You only take a taxi or Uber if there is no other alternative.
Many cities have a Taxi licensing system which creates an artificial scarcity as a license is expensive and in limited supply.

$500k or more for a license is not uncommon.

Getting good compensation for existing licence holders is a hurdle.

Volume at c750 was 125k today, but that's not the same as Open Interest... we will see tomorrow, but I suspect the number will be more like 20-25k

1627936686801.png

My basic argument as well. Still comparison of Q by Q numbers of Model 3 before and after Model Y. Now to truly have a cannibalization effect, like they imply the Model 3 sales would need to drop considerably once the Model Y launched and not for just for a short period of time. Oh they also like to say well Tesla had to cut Model 3 prices to keep its sales good.
Cell supplies are also an issue. When cells are limited they will be directed to higher margin Model Ys. At Fremont, the paintshop might also be a limiting factor.

My thoughts as well. I can see that the stamping facility is ready, That was the 1st area of factory enclosed.

Is process the following:
Stamp body panels
Makes front and rear casts
Attach panels to casts
Paint
General Assembly including structural pack and motors.

I forget have we seen front casts made yet?
Is equipment/lines in place to attach panels to casts?
Is paint shop enclosed enough to eliminate contamination.
Assume structural pack and batteries created in Fremont.
General Assembly area seems so wide open we would have video of equipment.

Although it still makes me nervous to see so much of the factory open to the elements and all the dust/dirt floating around. I would think they would want to get pavement poured to minimize contamination in casting areas to keep dust/dirt down.
The sections of the factory that they need to use were built first and are fairly enclosed.
Stamping, bodyshop, casting and paint.
Model Y GA or a good section of it, is fairly enclosed.
We are not seeing a pile of trailers at the docks.
But parts for a handful of cars could come in a single trailer.
It isn't volume production, just testing, QA and training.

Sigh, there is no real market in Europe for the kind of EV I'm saying should have it's own category and, if you could buy them in Europe, they would cost nearly twice as much and still wouldn't compete with what people think of as a car. We don't include electric motorcycles either because they serve a different market.

Now if you want to argue that this style car is going to get airbags, crash test ratings and compete with cars as we know them, be my guest. I don't see that happening, at least not to any significant degree.

These Chinese/etc cars are perfectly licencable in the EU with very few tweaks required. Most of them would fit in the L6 category, some in the M category. Depending on which category the regulations vary. Motorway access will depend on which category, that was one reason why the original Smart design changed so much between concept and launch. Good examples of the higher end of this range are the Fiat 500, the Toyota Aygo (aka Citroën C1 and Peugeot 107/108), or for that matter the SmartForTwo, all of which have everything you are suggesting are absent. Just watch the Chinese improve their product designs to comparable levels, the pace of change is very fast indeed.

Just curious if the fiat 500 class of vehicle has to have airbags? Or safety certifications? Never mind, I just looked it up and I'm not sure if the l6 or M has to but the Fiat has 7 air bags. That means a million dollar plus safety cert that quite a bit of prep. That alone could nearly double the cost of the Chinese cars assuming they don't have airbags. If the fiat has to have airbags than it most likely has crumple zones, etc. That's a lot more engineering. Of course chinese car companies can manufacture acceptable cars but he has a point that the cars maybe should be in a special category of EVs that hurt the environment. Why- they don't replace ICEs.

I rode in many open air "trucks" in SE asia, basically a motor and chassis, a bench seat, a bed in back but no windshield, no real dash, no doors, no body work. If you are poor you make do. Chinese urban dwellers are just making do. Take a step back, why are we counting EVs? For me I'm looking at number of people replacing an ICE. So the EU and NA and other developed nations are interesting as there is very little organic growth it is almost all replacement so a new EV means one less ICE. I'm really not sure if micro cars in India and China are really displacing ICE ownership or displacing ICE taxis and public transport in which case it might not actually be useful for the environment. I'd think you want to look at the lowest cost ICE in China and India and Indonesia and if someone is buying a comparable priced and featured car than it is maybe a replacement of a potential ICE sale or simply replacing an existing ICE and sending that ICE down into the used vehicle market or to recycling. That's too complex a question for someone simply trying to aggregate data but something worth considering when examining the numbers. If you track the numbers to look at progress towards a sustainable future than @StealthP3D is onto something with skepticism of the usefulness of counting the micro EV sales in china as it is not clear that is more beneficial than hailing a taxi or using public transport.