Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How it started:
View attachment 703364
How its going:

lol, Anton Wahlman...

starwars-obi-wan.gif

Many people have asked why Tesla is making a humanoid robot. Elon said why on AI Day, but many seemed to miss it.

Elon wants human civilization to survive.

Climate change is an existential threat, so he started Tesla.

Nuclear war and asteroids are existential threats, so he started SpaceX and its Mars mission.

AI is an existential threat, so he started OpenAI and Neuralink. And Tesla is making a robot because "If we don’t, someone else will — and we want to make sure it’s safe.”

Maybe one area they could use to reduce net income by operating at a loss would be to drop pricing on solar roofs well below cost (if they have excess production capacity) and employ thousands of salespeople/roofers/electricians to try and grab market share from traditional roofing companies.

The mere suggestion of sales effort on the Energy side brings my blood to a boil. To imply, even in jest, that Tesla would employ such foolishness purely for wasteful tax avoidance......I can't even handle it.

Let us never speak of it again.

The mere suggestion of sales effort on the Energy side brings my blood to a boil. To imply, even in jest, that Tesla would employ such foolishness purely for wasteful tax avoidance......I can't even handle it.

Let us never speak of it again.

Tesla can make all kinds of investments in product production capacity, fast charging, solar installations, R&D, acquisitions, additional vertical integration, new products etc...

There is scope to kick the profit can a few years down the track, but eventually those investments generate additional income, and even higher profits...
When that happens I think Tesla just pays tax and dividends, after ensuring product prices are low enough to drive the mission.

So does this mean that, every time FASB changes GAAP standards, it redefines taxable income for corporations? That would be weird to give such authority to a non-governmental organization.
That would on the face of it potentially be the case. In my experience, however, it is the Option To Be Preferred, in that the alternative is to have GAAP standards be decreed by a governmental organization. That may the the case (read: of course it is) in China, but it would be Pitchfork Time in a country like the US. I think.

The FAS Board, for all its well-deserved green eyeshade reputation, is a wonderful - for exactly one bizarre reason - friend to the US corporation. The sole but all-important reason is that they are glacially slow in making changes. Ents ain’t in it.

In my interview with Peter Mertens (Audi, VW, Volvo, Polestar, Jaguar Land Rover former Top Manager) he claimed VW to overtake Tesla in 1H2022 with BEVs and that Tesla didn't make any profits excluding credits, Well the latter earned me a free bottle of champaign 😀

It was fun talking to him and I may do more interviews with former top executives. Interested?

Because Peter talks regularly with a lot of former colleagues that are now customers in his board roles at Recogni, Valend a.o. he has deep insights into their thoughts.

Thanks for posting that.

I find it very surprising that the idea of OTA update while driving is considered important by anyone. Especially for electric cars that routinely spend hours at a time charging (and therefore aren't driving). It is trivially easy to find a non-driving opportunity to apply an OTA update. The other claimed "features" of this "new OTA technology" - not needing memory for alternate copies of the software and patching "individual lines of code" also seem silly. It is a very rare software update where a single line of code is changed. The idea of changing running code on the fly is either ill-conceived or will necessitate that the original code (as well as updates) have a bloated footprint in order to safely allow such changes. That more or less wipes out any advantages of not needing "double memory" while simultaneously harming code execution speed.

I think that the OEMs licensing this will be regretting it pretty soon. Of course I could be wrong but I really doubt it.