Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gigafactories - Star Destroyers
FSD/Robotaxi's - Death Star
Elon Musk - The Emperor
Drew/Zach - Co-Darth Vaders
Legacy Auto Makers - The Rebellion........but in this alternate universe......the galaxy absolutely hates the Rebellion because they polluted their planets.

Lil'X - Stormtrooper in a diaper:

The side of Stormtroopers that the Rebels don't want you to see.jpg

I think if Tesla is going to have it's own fab, it will not attempt to be a state-of-the-art (SOA) small feature fab. Instead it would make power devices and sensors devices, and maybe some simple microcontroller chips. None of these needs tiny feature size and the equipment to make them is far less costly. IF there are significant shortages of these kinds of devices that Tesla needs, I could see Elon bringing that manufacturing in house, and it could even be a "small" fab and still make economic sense.

Tesla could change it's business model and become a conglomerate that also makes SOA chips but I think Elon is smart enough to realize that's not the right move. As others have pointed out, this is not an industry that has been stuck in the old ways of thinking and moves slowly, quite the opposite actually.
It is all speculation of course but picking up an existing fab and having it available for Optimus and developing custom 48v chips for autos seems prudent if only for development work prior to outsourcing volume production. They have the money, they have the use cases, it could make sense to them. (I have this curiosity as to whether it makes sense to have smaller NNs embedded in the extremities of Optimus to minimize latency and off load less critical tasks such as balance and sensor preprocessing - seems to work for the Octopuses.)

State of the art tech is a far larger leap in investment and business case and that seems to be more likely a partnership YMMV.

General Motors will shut production at most of its North American plants for a week or two starting next week as the worsening chip shortage takes another bite out of its plans.

General Motors will shut production at most of its North American plants for a week or two starting next week as the worsening chip shortage takes another bite out of its plans.

Meanwhile Elon says September will be the craziest month for deliveries in Tesla history.

If by some chance Tesla actually hits 900k+ deliveries this year, I'm going to start to really question how much factory shutdowns are from actual chip shortage and how much is because legacy auto doesn't have enough demand, which would absolutely crush their valuations. VW, Ford, GM, etc...have all had significant rallies so far in 2021.

A lot of pressure on them with their valuations being higher than they've been in many year. We'll find out by mid 2022 if "chip shortage" was just a mask for "We don't have enough demand"

Last edited:
Meanwhile Elon says September will be the craziest month for deliveries in Tesla history.

If by some chance Tesla actually hits 900k+ deliveries this year, I'm going to start to really question how much factory shutdowns are from actual chip shortage and how much is because legacy auto doesn't have enough demand, which would absolutely crush their valuations. VW, Ford, GM, etc...have all had significant rallies so far in 2021.

A lot of pressure on them with their valuations being higher than they've been in many year. We'll find out by mid 2022 if "chip shortage" was just a mask for "We don't have enough demand"
There's def enough demand, or else car dealers wouldn't dare to sell new cars for 5-10k over MSRP. Rob has a pretty good explanation of this looking at the macro trend in new car sales.

There's def enough demand, or else car dealers wouldn't dare to sell new cars for 5-10k over MSRP. Rob has a pretty good explanation of this looking at the macro trend in new car sales.

I’ll have to watch Robs video later this evening….but I think the tight inventory from covid shutting down production lines last year is still the primarily force driving higher prices for new and used car sales, not organic demand. If anything, it’s pent up demand from people not purchasing vehicles throughout a good part of 2020. That will unwind itself naturally…..if legacy auto makers bring their production levels back up to normal. But as long as legacy auto keeps production limited, it will take it much longer to unwind that pent up demand and get back to organic/natural demand….which I suspect is actually quite low

I also wouldn’t be surprised if legacy auto is playing the game of purposely keeping inventory tight to upcharge. It’s a win/win for legacy auto and their dealership network. Legacy auto doesn’t have to admit they have a demand problem and dealers milk the profits, likely with kickbacks to the auto makers.

I confirm, demand is through the roof, as I scoured the almost-new market (I refuse to drive the Yoke). The prices are bonkers (and TSLA cpo offer suggest they'll have great margins this quarter).

I’ll have to watch Robs video later this evening….but I think the tight inventory from covid shutting down production lines last year is still the primarily force driving higher prices for new and used car sales, not demand. If anything, it’s pent up demand from people not purchasing vehicles throughout a good part of 2020. That will unwind itself naturally…..if legacy auto makers bring their production levels back up to normal. But as long as legacy auto keeps production limited, it will take it much longer to unwind that demand.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if legacy auto is playing the game of purposely keeping inventory tight to upcharge. It’s a win/win for legacy auto and their dealership network. Legacy auto doesn’t have to admit they have a demand problem and dealers milk the profits, likely with kickbacks to the auto makers.
I don't think it's intentional. Most of those extra charges go to dealers, not the manufacturers. Plus I'm not sure the lower volume with higher prices makes up for the total loss.

Don’t confuse what I’m saying when I say demand. There’s a difference between pent up demand and organic demand. Covid created a pent up demand situation for legacy auto makers that is a once in a generation type situation where production got halted for a good part of the year while the consumer had no way of buying a vehicle combined with having a very high level of disposable income thanks to a lot of the workforce being supported by the government. That creates a scenario where demand is high through lack of inventory, not really because of organic demand.

I don’t doubt that there’s demand right now for vehicles from legacy auto but I do see a significant demand drop off coming at some point for legacy auto over the next 2-4 quarters. And I wouldn’t be surprised if legacy auto is very aware of this. Maybe I should have worded my earliest post that way......that legacy auto makers are using the chip shortages as a good way to hedge against a future big drop in demand....I actually think that would be smart of legacy auto but maybe I'm giving them too much credit

Last edited:
Dana Hull article in Bloomberg concerning the Houston Model S crash from last April. Links to the NTSB, Fire Marshall and Constable reports at end of article.

High blood alcohol level in driver. Auto steer was not on.

this is getting tedious ...

changing tire in Left hand lane on interstate... somehow this is autopilot... fault :mad:...

Last edited:
Gigafactories - Star Destroyers
FSD/Robotaxi's - Death Star
Elon Musk - The Emperor
Drew/Zach - Co-Darth Vaders
Legacy Auto Makers - The Rebellion........but in this alternate universe......the galaxy absolutely hates the Rebellion because they polluted their planets.
Nah, you got it all wrong.

Gigafactories - Scattered Rebel Bases
FSD/Robotaxi's - Rebel Cruisers
Elon Musk - Han Solo
Kimball Musk - Admiral Ackbar
Drew/Zach - Chewy / Lando
TeslaBots - R2D2 / C3PO
Legacy Auto Makers - The Empire
Bezos - Emperor Palpatine