Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hrm, the efficiency numbers for the R1S and R1T (480Wh/mi, 490Wh/mi) aren't quite as good as I was hoping to see. For a truck they are not terrible, but I was hoping they'd get to 450Wh/mi. Efficiency is hugely important for EVs. Better efficiency creates a virtuous cycle: more range, less battery, less weight, less cost, leading to even more efficiency. For an EV manufacturer, better efficiency translates to better profits.

It is an odd combination of not aero and perhaps too cute. Looks like they feed air over the front wheel openings, but the steep front windshield is going to make a giant separation bubble, making the truck look taller than it is [to the airflow]. Acts like more frontal area, but shows up as worse drag coefficient.

Horizontal goat eyes are freaky. The truck does not have goat eyes. Maybe too coy and cute as if batting like Betty Boop.
Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 2.37.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 2.38.05 AM.png

Smaller separation bubble here with self consistent look.
Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 2.43.05 AM.png

Which EVs use pouch cells? Do we have a list?
- VW IDs
- Audi etron
- Porsche Taycan
- Mercedes EQS
- GM Chevy Bolt
- Ford Mustang Mach-E
- Hyundai Kona EV
- Polestar
- Nissan Leaf

FactChecking asked Elon about safety of cell form factors. Elon replied that it is impossible to make large pouch cells safe.

I think these OEMs might want to consider expanding their warranty reserve in case they have to follow GM and recall every one of these cars.

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 5.29.51 AM.png

Edit: added the missing word "large"

Last edited:
FactChecking asked Elon about safety of cell form factors. Elon replied that it is impossible to make pouch cells safe.

I think these OEMs might want to consider expanding their warranty reserve in case they have to follow GM and recall every one of these cars.

View attachment 705054
That’s what happens when your CEO understands the technology used in the company. Every decision took at Tesla will be better than the ones at GM.

Hrm, the efficiency numbers for the R1S and R1T (480Wh/mi, 490Wh/mi) aren't quite as good as I was hoping to see. For a truck they are not terrible, but I was hoping they'd get to 450Wh/mi. Efficiency is hugely important for EVs. Better efficiency creates a virtuous cycle: more range, less battery, less weight, less cost, leading to even more efficiency. For an EV manufacturer, better efficiency translates to better profits.

And the article didn't specify the tires but the Rivian is available with a street tire (most efficient), sport tire and an off-road tire. I'm confident the range was rated with the most efficient street tire while the off-road tire will likely be the most popular seller. The Cybertruck has a lot more frontal area so I think it will come in at a similar but lower EPA efficiency.

FactChecking asked Elon about safety of cell form factors. Elon replied that it is impossible to make pouch cells safe.

View attachment 705054
Minor quibble: Elon was specifically discouraging large pouch cells. Smaller form factor pouches reduce the issues he is referring to (and power most cell phones, tablets, ...).
Expand thread for iron vs nickle range cutoff (approximate):

FactChecking asked Elon about safety of cell form factors. Elon replied that it is impossible to make large pouch cells safe.

View attachment 705054

Edit: added the missing word "large"
I continue to find this humorous as it relates to some posters here who disagreed on posts that put forward the same postulate. A blind chipmunk could have found that nut....hey many EV fires are related to pouch cells, that also blow up in drones and all sorts of other things. Hmmm....maybe the pouch format is an issue.

Anyhow, GM is most at risk as far as I can see- they were bragging on the large pouch format. I am really really surprised no one has called attention to this at CNBC- shocked... no really.. Now, after this very public comment from Elon they are going to have to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid having to write off a 2 year investment in battery plants. It was literally the only thing GM had going for it in the EV side of things.

Sad to see one vendor take down so many EV efforts but better now than in 2 years.

We tolerate the explosion risk of laptop batteries because they are small and not travelling at 80mph. That doesn't make the same design safe for a car.
Absolutely correct, lots of pouch fires in other applications such as laptops, drones, etc.

Someone argued that all cells are risky at the fleet of cars scale, but Tesla just has a better battery management system. Is there any way to quantify the difference in fire risk between cylindrical and large pouch given the same chemistry and BMS? I mean, I’m sure you can’t really change form factor and keep BMS the same, but I’m not sure relatively how much influence form factor has and how much influence a good/bad BMS has.

Someone argued that all cells are risky at the fleet of cars scale, but Tesla just has a better battery management system. Is there any way to quantify the difference in fire risk between cylindrical and large pouch given the same chemistry and BMS? I mean, I’m sure you can’t really change form factor and keep BMS the same, but I’m not sure relatively how much influence form factor has and how much influence a good/bad BMS has.

Over time as more and more EV's of varying brands are sold statistical data alone will quantify the difference with regards to fire risk. I suspect we'll see a much higher rate of fires in most EV brands not named Tesla, just my hunch though.

- VW IDs
- Audi etron
- Porsche Taycan
- Mercedes EQS
- GM Chevy Bolt
- Ford Mustang Mach-E
- Hyundai Kona EV
- Polestar
- Nissan Leaf

Of these, the Leaf is probably the most conservative (aka safest) in terms of performance/capacity per cell.

I believe Rivian, Lucid, and Rimac use cyllindrical 2170 cells.
That's a lot of recall pouch cells to rip out and put into something.
Maybe $3bn worth ?
Presumably into stationary storage products with a BMS that ensures they never charge beyond 80-90%.
Gonna be interesting to keep a watchful eye on what's hiding on the inside of battery storage cabinets over the next few years.
After all who wants one of these in the basement ?
Details of warranty, guarantuee and limitations will be fascinating.
There could also be some interesting class action lawsuits out there.
And the minor matters of where to source the replacement cells, and how to make any cars in the meantime.