Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla could be like an invasive species that comes into a defenseless eco system and eats everything.

My girlfriend keeps saying stuff like this. Over the past year or so we've both been noticing a LOT more Tesla's out and about. It's like they are breeding faster than rabbits!

It's one reason why I'm going to order my LR MY in red. The majority of Teslas on the road are white, black, and gray, and red seems to be the rarest color choice. I'd like to see Austin have a new color or two to choose from but I doubt that will happen.

/rant on

Why criticize a tweet level response to an ELI5 question when it is accurate (of not the best wording)? Would on_tesla (or anyone) ever have responded to OP had Sawyer not done so.

We are not a pack of bullies/ mean girls here to laugh at others (unless someone is clearly a bad actor, then claws out).

Inital question:
Is yield battery performance? No (other than compared against Pass/ Fail criteria)
Is yield speed of production? No (but is influenced by it)
A cell (or sub system) that meets quality standards is good
A cell (or sub system) that has to be thrown out is bad

For clarity, imagine "that step" was "that step's output", which aligns with better step -> better yield -> more good cells.

O dear, what holds the future for us, you not ending with /rant off.

It appears a .1 version is rolling out to the masses. I believe these .1 software numbers are normally reserved for FSD Beta.

...it's happening!

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.45.54 AM.png

My girlfriend keeps saying stuff like this. Over the past year or so we've both been noticing a LOT more Tesla's out and about. It's like they are breeding faster than rabbits!

It's one reason why I'm going to order my LR MY in red. The majority of Teslas on the road are white, black, and gray, and red seems to be the rarest color choice. I'd like to see Austin have a new color or two to choose from but I doubt that will happen.
Yeah, I see the same thing. I'm in the Lancaster PA area, btw. When I get my LR MY I'll be another one of those white ones because I can't see paying 1 or 2 thousand more for color. The red and blue are awfully nice though.

When I get my Cyber Truck, I may just let my kids go crazy on it with some kind of easy to clean markers or paint.

Can’t Tesla OTA brick a car that has had something this stupid done to it?
I'm relatively certain the analog dash and wood-and-brass center console they installed is no longer capable of receiving OTA updates.

I suspect they added a "OOH-GAA" horn to ward off the livestock on the roads, however.

TURIN, Italy -- Tesla Inc. CEO Elon Musk said on Friday that thanks to new semiconductor plants that are planned or under construction, there's an end in sight for the global chip shortage that has pummelled the car industry this year.

Asked how long he thought the global chip shortage would affect vehicle production, Musk said: "short term I think."

"There's a lot of chip fabrication plants that are being built," Musk said during a joint session with Stellantis and Ferrari Chairman John Elkann, at Italian Tech Week.

"I think we will have good capacity for providing chips by next year," he added.

Someone had to inject party politics into this thread again, of the nasty kind. A bunch of posts have been removed. It's no secret that there is no place for political bickering in this thread, so the instigator - warned before - has been exiled for two weeks.

Please also try to limit the discussion on world politics. Some people will say it's relevant, and others will say the same for dozens of other subjects (like crypto, brexit, forest fires, the swift payment system, the temperature of the coffee at McDonald's!?!). The thread cannot harbour all those subjects.
I'm not sure If I've crossed the line (in your eyes) but I fall strongly in the camp of considering politics highly relevant right now. And the politicians are the ones making it relevant.

The kid in his souped up Honda was never about beating the quickest car in the Model Y price class at the stop light grand prix. He couldn't do it in 1990 or now.

It was about fun to drive and having something rare that expresses your personality.

There have always been more rational transportation choices. And most people keep making irrational choices buying cars on wants not needs.

Nobody needs a Model S Plaid. And yet Tesla can't satisfy orders. The Yoke may be cool but it is certainly not utilitarian.

Most people need a compact hatchback or minivan. And those are going the way of the Dodo bird in US/Canada.

In an Iphone/Apple watch world people keep telling me a Rolex is pointless.

Yet Rolex sells their entire production of 750k units/year at full price. Many Swiss watch companies are doing quite well.

Robotaxi services will sell to people that hate cars or are indifferent to cars. To people that can't drive or can't afford to drive. And to people that need taxi services like drunks or people going to the airport. Not to people that love cars and love to drive for their daily transportation.
I don't disagree with anything you said but I do draw a different conclusion. I think the kids are going to be finding other ways of expressing themselves and other things to soup up.

Reactions: abasile and UncaNed
Asked how long he thought the global chip shortage would affect vehicle production, Musk said: "short term I think."

"There's a lot of chip fabrication plants that are being built," Musk said during a joint session with Stellantis and Ferrari Chairman John Elkann, at Italian Tech Week.

"I think we will have good capacity for providing chips by next year," he added.

I'm glad he clarified the timeline at the end- because otherwise "short term" to a guy who's looking to have a self-sustaining city on another planet in 2050 might not be the same as what some other folks call short term :)

• Funny
Reactions: Paul_SF
I'm not sure If I've crossed the line (in your eyes) but I fall strongly in the camp of considering politics highly relevant right now. And the politicians are the ones making it relevant.

No you did not cross the line. But posts which are a response to inflammatory political rants unfortunately become victims when cleaning up the mess.

TURIN, Italy -- Tesla Inc. CEO Elon Musk said on Friday that thanks to new semiconductor plants that are planned or under construction, there's an end in sight for the global chip shortage that has pummelled the car industry this year.

That is curious that Elon-Tesla is at a presentation with Ferrari, and of course in Italy. Not usually known as a technology hotspot but definitely well versed in racing cars. Why not have an important technology update in Japan, Germany, Silicon Valley, or a hundred other locations? Could be chance vacay for Elon in Italy or perhaps some partnership with Ferrari? With Tesla's focus on speed of battery line production, economies of scale with decreasing costs and increasing automation, and of course huge demand for batteries, as well as high level work on FSD in both hardware and software, does Elon have time to refine a roadster 2.0 suspension? Perhaps a collaboration with Ferrari?

That is curious that Elon-Tesla is at a presentation with Ferrari, and of course in Italy. Not usually known as a technology hotspot but definitely well versed in racing cars. Why not have an important technology update in Japan, Germany, Silicon Valley, or a hundred other locations? Could be chance vacay for Elon in Italy or perhaps some partnership with Ferrari? With Tesla's focus on speed of battery line production, economies of scale with decreasing costs and increasing automation, and of course huge demand for batteries, as well as high level work on FSD in both hardware and software, does Elon have time to refine a roadster 2.0 suspension? Perhaps a collaboration with Ferrari?
Isn't Tesla's motor technology centre in Italy?

Reactions: Nakata
Great.. we need more departments without regulatory authority to speak on the subject /s

Here is the full interview with Elon. I fast forwarded to the moments where he was speaking.
I liked this interview not for what he said but because of his demeaner.
He was:
- calm
- gracious
- humble (at the 42.22 mark her bring on a SpaceX employee and encourages him to speak in Italian for the audience).
- insightful
- and optimistic about the future (we will solve climate change, we are living in the best times technologically, etc.).

Last edited: