Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just can't remember, nor find and example of it. Maybe I am just paranoid and these are all just good people treating Tesla fairly.
No, the NTSB definitely has it out for Tesla, but the they really can't do anything but write nasty reports. They can't enact new regulations/laws, and they can't force Tesla to do anything.

View attachment 713228

He needs 5M more shares if he wants to supplant the top 10...
Sorry to interrupt the political discussion, but am I the only one who is offended by the pie chart here?

They took 3 sets of overlapping data (top 10, top 20, and top 50 shareholders) which equal 135% on their own, and then crammed in a 4th set of data (other owners) which is not even the remainder of the whole after subtracting the top 50 group.

So the pie chart shows 182% of shares while still excluding some group of shareholders just outside the top 50. The creator of this monstrosity ought to be hanged, drawn, and quartered into 7 pieces.

No, the NTSB definitely has it out for Tesla, but the they really can't do anything but write nasty reports. They can't enact new regulations/laws, and they can't force Tesla to do anything.

They can definitely affect public opinion. Google "Tesla" and then click on the news tab. The last 2 months are a barrage of NTSB and NHTSA negativity.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Bobfitz1 and Huskyf
Those of us who lived through 2000 and 2008 are forever tainted and gunshot. I literally wake up at 4:30am EST every morning to check if the market is crashing. I'm shocked every day that it isn't.

My finger is ALWAYS on the sell trigger. Sad way to have to live.
I feel ya! Pets.com cough cough 😷

So dirty.

In the first set of leaked correspondences, sent on April 23, 2021, Sabathier asked Solomon to share a number of accusations against Musk and SpaceX with the Biden White House.

One email included a 16-page document titled "Elon Musk: Friend to China, Enemy of Democracy," in which Sabathier attacked Musk's political donations and his allegedly cozy relationships with both former President Donald Trump and Chinese businessmen and government officials.

"Hasan, Protect your source. Eye opening stuff on Elon, Workers rights, his ties with the Trump Admin, and ties with China," Sabathier wrote in the email's body. "Your friends at the WH may be interested."

The document itself included photos of Musk with President Donald Trump, Ivanka Trump, former Vice President Mike Pence, and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, claimed that Musk "has had some controversial opinions about the coronavirus pandemic," and contained a lengthy section detailing Musk's staunchly anti-union past.

That same day, Sabathier also sent Solomon a Town Hall op-ed published after NASA awarded SpaceX its lunar contract titled "NASA’s Giant Leap Backwards Toward Moon Landing."

"This is very helpfull!!!!" Solomon wrote in response. "I will be meeting with the White House Public Engagement staff next week & will raise our concerns with Elan Musk & his anti-labor company."

Sorry to interrupt the political discussion, but am I the only one who is offended by the pie chart here?

They took 3 sets of overlapping data (top 10, top 20, and top 50 shareholders) which equal 135% on their own, and then crammed in a 4th set of data (other owners) which is not even the remainder of the whole after subtracting the top 50 group.

So the pie chart shows 182% of shares while still excluding some group of shareholders just outside the top 50. The creator of this monstrosity ought to be hanged, drawn, and quartered into 7 pieces.
Sorry, but I think that quartering will only net four pieces. 🤷‍♂️

That is, unless you give the task of quartering himself to that chart maker ...

So dirty.

In the first set of leaked correspondences, sent on April 23, 2021, Sabathier asked Solomon to share a number of accusations against Musk and SpaceX with the Biden White House.

One email included a 16-page document titled "Elon Musk: Friend to China, Enemy of Democracy," in which Sabathier attacked Musk's political donations and his allegedly cozy relationships with both former President Donald Trump and Chinese businessmen and government officials.

"Hasan, Protect your source. Eye opening stuff on Elon, Workers rights, his ties with the Trump Admin, and ties with China," Sabathier wrote in the email's body. "Your friends at the WH may be interested."

The document itself included photos of Musk with President Donald Trump, Ivanka Trump, former Vice President Mike Pence, and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, claimed that Musk "has had some controversial opinions about the coronavirus pandemic," and contained a lengthy section detailing Musk's staunchly anti-union past.

That same day, Sabathier also sent Solomon a Town Hall op-ed published after NASA awarded SpaceX its lunar contract titled "NASA’s Giant Leap Backwards Toward Moon Landing."

"This is very helpfull!!!!" Solomon wrote in response. "I will be meeting with the White House Public Engagement staff next week & will raise our concerns with Elan Musk & his anti-labor company."

The list of industries being disrupted by Elon’s companies is long, and unlikely/unrelated entities unknowingly become bedfellows because they all try to use the same talking points to smear him/his companies.

It is of utmost importance to continue highlighting the corruption that is stemming from individuals and corporations being out-innovated.

So dirty.

In a way, cozying up to the likes of China and Russia might be what saves us in the end if the American government is fully weaponized against us and tries to dismantle or destroy Elon's companies.

This also explains why Biden pretended that Inspiration4 didn't happen...

There are a fair number of exaggerations and mistakes in this post. As one example the SWIFT system had nothing to do with the US$ nor the US at all. SWIFT had Scandinavian roots and has always had a strong European structure. It si worldwide and includes all tradable currencies. There are more problems than that, but this one is a good example of how easy it is to overstate political opposition to environmental progress.

The truth is hazardous enough without exaggerating the reality. I don't dismiss risks, and there is serious risk regarding positive governmental actions in most of the world. Still, we should not be completely dismissive of potential progresss.

Since I live between two of the worst offenders in the US and Brazil, perhaps it is odd I'm naive to suggest things might not be totally bleak. I admit I also have some very dark days.

OTOH, BEV manufacture is growing rapidly, renewables and already cheaper than are fossil fuels for energy production, so even recidivist governments are relenting a bit.

On the subject of SWIFT, I would argue that it is a tool to enforce policies of the US (even tho nominally SWIFT is an alliance of western nations), since all payments between countries are made in USD using the SWIFT system. This has been used to enforce sanctions against Iran, Cuba, China's Huawei etc. and any threat to its dominance (Libya wanting to start a gold backed African currency, Iraq starting to accept Euros rather than USD for oil) was promptly quashed. I don't want to elaborate on this here, will follow up in the OT thread for those interested.

BUT, if this is true (as well as the emerging Chinese alternative to the USD, which the US will not be able to quash like Libya's Quaddafi and, OK I could be wrong), what does this mean for Tesla investors?

Oddly enough in my opinion it is a positive for Tesla. Considering Xi's recent reforms banning get rich quick schemes for those with means via IPO and other typical Wall Street maneuvers which are nowadays more paper reshuffling at the expense of the taxpayer than truly useful capital reallocation. Considering also that he favors production of actual goods, and nixes fad celebrity entertainment. And considering that the US leadership (which controls both parties) is not pro Tesla for some weird reason. This all points to China favoring /helping companies like Tesla for sure. So a positive for Tesla investors.

For long term Tesla investors, international politics are relevant; actually everything is important nowadays short term AND long term ; )

What gives keeps me optimistic is that Elon has gotten on board some of the smartest financial types in the world (including Hiromichi Mizuno, Tesla Board director was very cognizant of shorts and probably was key figure in fleecing helping shorts get out of trouble at 5$B penalty cost in last year's August 31 5:1 coup split ). And he's surely aware of all that is going on internationally. Like most of us (I hope) he's not at all captive to the narrative the mainstream US press paints for us. I still remember how Tesla starting Giga Shanghai was met with some incredulity at the time. Why did he start there and not in Germany, Texas or ...? Was it as risky as people thought at the time?

The bonus for me is watching this all unfold. Wish I had more time and resources to try and figure out what is going on, is it even useful?
In any case, hard to beat for real time entertainment. Considering where we were 5 years ago, I'm actually ecstatic.

PS Re
SWIFT had Scandinavian roots and has always had a strong European structure. It si worldwide and includes all tradable currencies.

It only "includes" all tradable currencies precisely because they must be converted into USD in order to be exchanged across borders.

the SWIFT system had nothing to do with the US$ nor the US at all.

See this Off Topics Galore post explaining how this is exactly the opposite.

On the subject of SWIFT, I would argue that it is a tool to enforce policies of the US (even tho nominally SWIFT is an alliance of western nations), since all payments between countries are made in USD using the SWIFT system. This has been used to enforce sanctions against Iran, Cuba, China's Huawei etc. and any threat to its dominance (Libya wanting to start a gold backed African currency, Iraq starting to accept Euros rather than USD for oil) was promptly quashed. I don't want to elaborate on this here, will follow up in this Off Topics Galore thread for those interested.

BUT, if this is true (as well as the emerging Chinese alternative to the USD, which the US will not be able to quash like Libya's Quaddafi and, OK I could be wrong), what does this mean for Tesla investors?

Oddly enough in my opinion it is a positive for Tesla. Considering Xi's recent reforms banning get rich quick schemes for those with means via IPO and other typical Wall Street maneuvers which are nowadays more paper reshuffling at the expense of the taxpayer than truly useful capital reallocation. Considering also that he favors production of actual goods, and nixes fad celebrity entertainment. And considering that the US leadership (which controls both parties) is not pro Tesla for some weird reason. This all points to China favoring /helping companies like Tesla for sure. So a positive for Tesla investors.

For long term Tesla investors, international politics are relevant; actually everything is important nowadays short term AND long term ; )

What keeps me optimistic is that Elon has gotten on board some of the smartest financial types in the world (including Hiromichi Mizuno, Tesla Board director was very cognizant of shorts and probably was key figure in fleecing helping shorts get out of trouble at 5$B penalty cost in last year's August 31 5:1 coup split ). And he's surely aware of all that is going on internationally. Like most of us (I hope) he's not at all captive to the narrative the mainstream US press paints for us. I still remember how Tesla starting Giga Shanghai was met with some incredulity at the time. Why did he start there and not in Germany, Texas or ...? Was it as risky as people thought at the time?

The bonus for me is having fun watching this all unfold. Wish I had more time and resources to try and figure out what is going on, is it even useful?
In any case, hard to beat for real time entertainment. Considering where we were 5 years ago, I'm actually ecstatic.

PS. re " ..SWIFT had Scandinavian roots and has always had a strong European structure. It si worldwide and includes all tradable currencies. "

It includes all tradable currencies, yes, precisely because all these currencies have to be converted to USD in order to be transferred across countries

and re: " ..the SWIFT system had nothing to do with the US$ nor the US at all" see this post in the Other Topics Galore for why this is exactly the opposite
The USA exerts extraterritorial control over the world's banking system via the SWIFT system, and does so by frankly harassing and bullying the commercia banks of all countries around the world. This has been going on for many decades. (and by the way is not just an issue wrt SWIFT).

It is not often that I have sympathy for some of the world's nastier regimes, but the USA's longstanding actions via the SWIFT system cause me to reflect on why some individuals and groups and regimes around the world seek to challenge such actions through whatever means they have to hand.

US actions of this nature do no credit to the USA, and are ultimately counterproductive.

I say this as a law abiding citizen of the UK, running UK-based companies, and fulfilling client orders in some of these countries that have been expressly sanctioned and directly encouraged by UK government (after considerable checking by all of us) for solid humanitarian reasons. But can I get payment, heck no. So this is an area I have direct experience of. I am well aware of what goes on behind the scenes - in all respects - and have over the many years found legal solutions. But I detest bullying in all its forms, and observing this behaviour by the USA leaves a very bitter taste. I have observed that all involved feel the same way regarding the USA blocking of the SWIFT system, it is not just my personal reaction.

Returning the subject to Tesla - to which it is relevant - behaviours of this nature are indeed one of the motivations for alternative payment systems. However, at present, the downsides of those payment systems are greater than their value (in my opinion, and in Tesla's opinion). My expectation is that even if the technical/energy aspects of that problem are solved, then the political repercussions will ultimately cause the downfall of democtratic societies as we know them. It is truly ironic that both the far right and the far left, and the radical religous, and perfectly vile regimes, are all co-operating to bring this about -- and that we in the social democratic west are not only actively participating in this endeavour, but also creating the very conditions that encourage it.

I do not know if Tesla will continue down the digital currency pathway, where it has currently paused, but I hope that if it does so then that it will consider the pros and cons very carefully and in the round.

If they can go 250 million miles without a death, this would reject the hypothesis that the rate is 1.2 or more per 100 million mile with a 5% significance level. This a based on a Poission distribution with expectation 3 deaths in 250M miles.
I have a hunch that NHTSA will want more than 95% confidence that it's better before declaring it's acceptable; otherwise I agree. Also, because of the politics of it, they might want strong proof that it's significantly better than humans by a large margin, not just that it's better by any nonzero margin. At first glance, such a policy might appear irrational or arguably unethical, but I see room for more nuance. The general public is predictably irrational, has very little appreciation for statistics and mostly reacts to scary or enraging anecdotes. If public backlash ends up shutting down the Lvl 4/5 autonomy program shortly after it arrives on the scene, this will likely push the advent of widespread adoption years into the future, maybe even a decade. This is an unacceptable opportunity cost given the profound benefits of widespread FSD.

So, what if the real goal is proving that it's 10x safer with 99.9% confidence, instead of proving it's 1.01x safer with 95% confidence? This would align with Tesla's MP Pt 2 which states a target of 10x safer than humans before "Beta" label is removed. In Excel, the formula is =POISSON.DIST(0,0.12*6000/100,TRUE). It turns out that 6 billion miles of data with zero deaths is precisely the minimum amount needed to make this conclusion. This can't be just a coincidence.

Moreover, this simple hypothesis test structure also assumes that the sample is fully representative of the scope of possible driving conditions. As we know, driving conditions vary wildly across the country and across different times of day, and as such the likelihood of producing fatalities or injuries is not homogeneous across all miles. The case is a lot weaker with using only 250 million miles of data if there are representativeness concerns. It could be tricky to demonstrate convincingly that beta testing of the software is not being done in some way that biases the answer, even if unintentionally. But with 6 billion miles of data, odds are that even underrepresented situations are still getting plenty of attention.

Also, I'm a longtime lurker and TSLAnaire. Thanks for all the great analysis and fun over the years. Time to start contributing.

I have a hunch that NHTSA will want more than 95% confidence that it's better before declaring it's acceptable; otherwise I agree. Also, because of the politics of it, they might want strong proof that it's significantly better than humans by a large margin, not just that it's better by any nonzero margin. At first glance, such a policy might appear irrational or arguably unethical, but I see room for more nuance. The general public is predictably irrational, has very little appreciation for statistics and mostly reacts to scary or enraging anecdotes. If public backlash ends up shutting down the Lvl 4/5 autonomy program shortly after it arrives on the scene, this will likely push the advent of widespread adoption years into the future, maybe even a decade. This is an unacceptable opportunity cost given the profound benefits of widespread FSD.

So, what if the real goal is proving that it's 10x safer with 99.9% confidence, instead of proving it's 1.01x safer with 95% confidence? This would align with Tesla's MP Pt 2 which states a target of 10x safer than humans before "Beta" label is removed. In Excel, the formula is =POISSON.DIST(0,0.12*6000/100,TRUE). It turns out that 6 billion miles of data with zero deaths is precisely the minimum amount needed to make this conclusion. This can't be just a coincidence.

Moreover, this simple hypothesis test structure also assumes that the sample is fully representative of the scope of possible driving conditions. As we know, driving conditions vary wildly across the country and across different times of day, and as such the likelihood of producing fatalities or injuries is not homogeneous across all miles. The case is a lot weaker with using only 250 million miles of data if there are representativeness concerns. It could be tricky to demonstrate convincingly that beta testing of the software is not being done in some way that biases the answer, even if unintentionally. But with 6 billion miles of data, odds are that even underrepresented situations are still getting plenty of attention.

Also, I'm a longtime lurker and TSLAnaire. Thanks for all the great analysis and fun over the years. Time to start contributing.
Welcome KoGuan!

View attachment 713349

The Inspiration4 crew brought to space a copy of TIME Magazine highlighting the Inspiration4 mission to space, which all four crew members signed while in space. I just won the auction for it, thanks to $TSLA, with 100% going to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Hard to think of a better cause. Charitybuzz: TIME Magazine Autographed by Inspiration4 Crew Flown to S... - Lot 2285619

First off, congratulations on the win.
From a purely cash flow point of view:
If the point was to contribute 100% to St Jude, this did not achieve that goal (unless there was something unique about this item vs the rest of that site).

Buyer's premium of $1,812.50 did not go to charity.
Sales tax of $1,082.36 did not go to charity.
S&H did not either: $24.95
That's $2,919.81, 16.8%, of the total out of pocket, 20% on top of winning bid, that St. Jude did not get.

Extending out, the item has some real value (estimated value), that amount is not tax-deductible, nor is the buyer's premium nor proportional sales tax. That income tax could have been contributed to St Jude instead of the federal/ state treasuries.

The number of (semi) public chargers will triple next year (compared to the beginning of this year) in Flanders. Caused by a new subsidy policy by the Flemish regional government. Also there are candidates for 54 of the 68 proposed super fast charging spots along our highways, with the remainder expected to be filled next year. This should result in fast chargers every 25km.
I wonder how many of these fast charger spots will be Tesla superchargers. If Tesla wins any of those slots, these superchargers should be accessible by all EV brands.
Our government wants to make sure that when the corporate tax deductions for company cars gets restricted to EVs only in 2026, there are places to charge those cars.

In case you were looking, I found the dumbest thing on the internet for today.

1632466049568.png

There, I fixed it!