Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chanos' shorting of Tesla must surely have erased any profits he made from Enron. He has gone from "the guy who correctly predicted Enron and obviously therefore knows what he is doing" to "some random investor guy who was lucky w/ Enron but got badly, badly burned being wrong on Tesla year after year"

Chanos went from managing $7 billion in 2008 to $932m in 2019, to only $400m at the end of last year. A ~94% decline in assets under management…

That means the 2% management fees would have been $140m in 2008 and only $2m last year…

Last edited:
Hertz would be wise to provide the first battery charge for free. The marketing power of that would be huge in demonstrated such convenience and low cost of ownership. Most wouldn't even use half a charge but would clearly love these newly discovered benefits:

No more gas stations,
No more pricing gouging if you forget to fill it up, and
No more betting on how many miles you might drive before you rent the car.

Not only the first charge free, but free charging until Jan 31, 2022: Charging the Model 3 - Hertz Travel Blog

Limited time only: Charging included.
Enjoy charging on us when you book a Tesla Model 3 and charge at Tesla network chargers.

*Available on pickups between Nov. 1, 2021 and Jan. 31, 2022. Idle fees at Tesla network chargers and charging and idle fees at third-party chargers excluded. Terms apply.

I wonder if Hertz is expecting a rental specific addition to the Tesla mobile app starting February 2022. Imagine all those folks renting a Tesla, installing the Tesla apps on their phones, loving the experience, and then being reminded of that experience every time they look back at their phone.

Tesla does not advertise. However, Hertz does. Its decisions to buy 100,000 Tesla EVs, and feature Tom Brady in related ads are perhaps even more significant than some imagine.

I expect the reason Brady was chosen for the ads is his influence with viewers of televised NFL games, not to mention the upcoming World Series.

Furthermore, Hertz renters may become convinced to buy a Tesla, and suggest that their friends do so too.

the last 2 minutes of “MarketPlace” on (NPR,/American Public Media) Kai Rysdall, casually mentioned that Tesla, the electric car company, hit $1,024/share, due in part to Hertz buying 100,000 Tesla’s, and pushed it to a valuation of over $1 Trillion, more than the other 9 automobile companies, combined.

plus there was a several minute segment on “All things considered” about Hertz buying 100,000 vehicles
finally positive stories

Hertz will provide free charging for the Tesla Model 3 rental.

(Edit; Willow Hiller said the same thing about 5 minutes before me)
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 3.37.10 PM.png

Last edited:
He doesn't sell, that's his thing. What he does do for money is exercise his options.
Sure, but where does he get the money to pay to exercise the options and then pay the tax due on the exercised options? (He has already stated that he will likely be selling shares before the end of the year to cover taxes on exercising his options that are expiring soon.)

Also, if each of those 100K Hertz cars get rented by 4 unique people per month who have never driven a Tesla, that's 400,000 people per month or 4.8 million people per year) who get to drive a Tesla for the first time! Me thinks that's going to ensure Tesla can make as many cars as they want and sell every one they make for a long time to come.
Leverage + infinite TAM = muchos zamolias

Sure, but where does he get the money to pay to exercise the options and then pay the tax due on the exercised options? (He has already stated that he will likely be selling shares before the end of the year to cover taxes on exercising his options that are expiring soon.)
I would think he can borrow any amount needed. Seems like a trustworthy guy. I’d probably lend him a few bucks if he asked.

Just sayin.