Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wire to wire blowout in front of a huge crowd of 62M+. It was the largest win of the season, 4th in a row and 10 out of last 11. A season high 19 games over 0.500.

Another great thing about today is that it verified that my conditional formatting for highest daily gain is correct!

Today
Score:1,024.86
Margin of W/L:115.18
Attendance:62,764,085
High - Low:100.82
Season
Record:112-93
Total margin of wins:1,849.46
Total margin of losses:-1,530.27
YTD gain/loss:319.1945.23%
Price/52 week high98.1%
Best Win:115.18Oct 25
Worst Loss:-68.83Jan 11
Last 10:9-1
Streak:W4
Avg margin of victory:16.51
Avg margin of defeat:-16.45
Avg Attendance:19,628,605
Avg Attendance of Last 10:19,692,317
Avg High - Low:29.01
Avg H - L of Last 10:26.88

Hertz said that it would be interested in renting out EVs from other markets, and I suppose competitors will be looking at other EV makers too. But what non-Tesla EV is really positioned well to be a good rental car. Has to have good range, be affordable and reliable, have access to a dense, easy-to-use, and fast charging network and most importantly must be available in large quantities. It also helps that Tesla has a strong brand that Hertz can leverage for their own marketing. So what other EV fits the bill?

Alternatively, with no net, Hertz could set profiles for a person's height. It wouldn't be exact, but it would be close enough that few adjustments would be required.
I’m still catching up from earlier on all 30+ pages, so possibly this will be in the next 15 pages lol. It only makes sense that they offer the ability to either load your car profile to the rental, or, create a new profile for your Hertz Tesla rental and then each time you rent, you can download that to the car. That seems like low hanging fruit type stuff. Major convenience factor.

As an aside, I have been renting Avis cars for 36+ years (creature of habit and loyal). Going to let Avis know I’m switching to Hertz...unless they quickly follow suit:)

Last edited:
Where are the "tesla need to advertise and have a marketing dept" crowd.. ?

This is going to get more reach than superbowl adverts and puts literally millions of people into teslas cars every year.
I just checked for a March trip to Kauai, but they don't show any Tesla's available for rent.....yet. I'll keep checking.

After playing around on the Hertz site, some airports show Model 3's as an option but sold out for that week in March (Denver, LAX). Others don't show the Model 3 as an option at all (Kauai, Logan).

I did get a chuckle out of the Model 3 details saying "this model is guaranteed" as opposed to the standard "Chevy Malibu or similar" for the other classes of cars.

I would think he can borrow any amount needed. Seems like a trustworthy guy. I’d probably lend him a few bucks if he asked.

Just sayin.
He is limited by his contract to a maximum amount of borrowing against his Tesla shares. IIRC it was 25 billion maybe, which is more than enough for his 10 billion dollar tax bill but that's a big loan for anyone.

Hertz said that it would be interested in renting out EVs from other markets, and I suppose competitors will be looking at other EV makers too. But what non-Tesla EV is really positioned well to be a good rental car. Has to have good range, be affordable and reliable, have access to a dense, easy-to-use, and fast charging network and most importantly must be available in large quantities. It also helps that Tesla has a strong brand that Hertz can leverage for their own marketing. So what other EV fits the bill?

All of those are significant reasons they might not be good rentals.

But more important than all of them- nobody else is making enough evs to supply rental cars

This Model 3 order from Hertz is 2x the entire annual production of the Mach E.

First half of 2021 VWs two most produced models (ID3 and ID4) only sold 30k something each worldwide.

Who has 100k spare EVs to sell another rental car company? Nobody.

Teslas aren't even really "spare" given the wait time, they're just a lot less than "over 100% of production"

Ending slightly higher in extended trading to $1,029.57 . I bet it’s even higher by the morning bell. This feels like capitulation.

Looking forward to watching the ticker tomorrow. When it rains, it pours.

TSLA After-Hours Quotes​

Data last updated Oct 25, 2021 08:00 PM ET.
This page will resume updating on Oct 26, 2021 04:00 PM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$1029.57 +4.71 (+0.46%)
After-Hours Volume931,904
After-Hours High$1033.75 (04:36:04 PM)
After-Hours Low$1017.02 (05:45:07 PM)

Teslas aren't even really "spare" given the wait time, they're just a lot less than "over 100% of production"
As someone pointed out above, if the EV incentives pass, there may well be “Spare” Teslas as everyone rushes to push their delivery back into 2022.

I am thinking along the same line. As someone who has given thousands of people a ride in my Tesla, for most of them their first time in the car, I often summarize with the warning they should be ready to buy before driving one, lest they have happen what happened to me. (Thanks @roblab !) ;)

I can assure you the majority of the general public have little knowledge, or carefully implanted false knowledge, of EVs in general and Tesla in particular even today. It's changed a bit from 3 years ago, but it's not even close to being over 50% yet. Having a veteran owner with 175k miles under his belt talk about it goes a long way: driving the car/spending a few days with it will go even further.

Up to today I didn't think being production constrained would outlast Berlin and Austin being fully ramped. Now I'm not so sure.
It’s funny, my first exposure to EV was renting a Prius many years ago. The acceleration blew me away. At the time the online user groups were figuring out how to hack them into being plug-in. I seriously considered buying one.

This will be transformational, but some kind of users guide will be needed.

All of those are significant reasons they might not be good rentals.

But more important than all of them- nobody else is making enough evs to supply rental cars

This Model 3 order from Hertz is 2x the entire annual production of the Mach E.

First half of 2021 VWs two most produced models (ID3 and ID4) only sold 30k something each worldwide.

Yeah, the Hertz order is 10% of Tesla’s 2021 production or 5% of 2022 production. However you want to look at it.

Reactions: madodel and jhm
Yeah, the Hertz order is 10% of Tesla’s 2021 production or 5% of 2022 production. However you want to look at it.

Its 1000,000 model 3 over 14 months, Currently they have what 400-450k production a year for model 3?

So its 1/4 to 1/5th of a years production, whilst there are plans for more model 3 lines they wont be running by the end of this contract.