Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking along the same line. As someone who has given thousands of people a ride in my Tesla, for most of them their first time in the car, I often summarize with the warning they should be ready to buy before driving one, lest they have happen what happened to me. (Thanks @roblab !) ;)

I can assure you the majority of the general public have little knowledge, or carefully implanted false knowledge, of EVs in general and Tesla in particular even today. It's changed a bit from 3 years ago, but it's not even close to being over 50% yet. Having a veteran owner with 175k miles under his belt talk about it goes a long way: driving the car/spending a few days with it will go even further.

Up to today I didn't think being production constrained would outlast Berlin and Austin being fully ramped. Now I'm not so sure.
This is why selling to Hertz was a bad idea. The wait time for new Teslas is going to double, if not triple, from all the new demand. The new customers will get tired of waiting for Tesla to deliver and never consider buying again. This is the beginning of the end.

I just checked for a March trip to Kauai, but they don't show any Tesla's available for rent.....yet. I'll keep checking.

After playing around on the Hertz site, some airports show Model 3's as an option but sold out for that week in March (Denver, LAX). Others don't show the Model 3 as an option at all (Kauai, Logan).

I did get a chuckle out of the Model 3 details saying "this model is guaranteed" as opposed to the standard "Chevy Malibu or similar" for the other classes of cars.
Can you rent one in LA or SF? I think I remember Elon saying the Model S could go in water.

I must admit I cashed out a small portion of my TSLA today, just a few percent, but enough to get back all the money I have invested in the first place.
Now, effectively, the rest of my TSLA has a cost base of 0*, so no risk to HODL them. No matter what happens from now on, I can't lose money on TSLA.
(so I do not care how you guys define Teslanaire anymore, all my shares are pure profit :p )

* I know that's not how it works officially, but in my portfolio that's what it means practically.

Note: If we go back to fill that gap between 910-950, I may feel obliged to buy back those shares, though...
If I did that, I'd stare at the cash balance and say "Where can I put that to earn some interest?". Then I'd eventually buy more TSLA with the cash....so why bother? šŸ˜‰

So this begs a question for me, and Iā€™m going to embarrass myself here because you are all car people.

I am not a car person. I donā€™t care about cars, just need to get from Point A to Point B. I donā€™t own a Tesla yet, but once I secure my retirement Tesla will be my next car. Iā€™ve often thought that I will have to ask one of you Bay Area Tesla enthusiasts to help me figure out my Model 3 when the time comes.

So if I, or someone like me, rents a Tesla from Hertz, are we going to be able to drive it without instruction??

"Starting a second new vehicle line before first is working will divide resources & amplify probability of failure."

Reading between the lines, Elon's saying "yeah, we would have loved to build the CyberTruck line in Austin at the same time as the money-making Y line, but we'd increase the chances both would fail. Sorry - CyberTruck coming late 2022!"

So this begs a question for me, and Iā€™m going to embarrass myself here because you are all car people.

I am not a car person. I donā€™t care about cars, just need to get from Point A to Point B. I donā€™t own a Tesla yet, but once I secure my retirement Tesla will be my next car. Iā€™ve often thought that I will have to ask one of you Bay Area Tesla enthusiasts to help me figure out my Model 3 when the time comes.

So if I, or someone like me, rents a Tesla from Hertz, are we going to be able to drive it without instruction??

Hertz have a comprehensive info page up, the car has comprehensive video help.

Fundamentally you can get in, and so long as you can figure out putting it into gear (brake + stick shift), just drive it. Like a normal car.

• Helpful
Reactions: wtlloyd
IMO, small potatoes.

Hertz should just charge a flat daily rate for the car and the price includes any supercharger energy.

Make the flat daily rate the same as the current big ICE SUV rate is.

Actual cost to run the Tesla product with energy included will still be much smaller than the current ICE SUV costs WITHOUT the cost of gasoline.
Same way they do toll fees....they bill you later once they get the bill.

• Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd
This is why selling to Hertz was a bad idea. The wait time for new Teslas is going to double, if not triple, from all the new demand. The new customers will get tired of waiting for Tesla to deliver and never consider buying again. This is the beginning of the end.
The hot car in North America is the Model Y. There won't more than minimal waiting time with the Model 3.