Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
250k Shanghai + 250-300k Fremont if the talked about increased capacity happens

Tesla could shift Y production to Austin later in the year and switch more Fremont to 3 I guess too
Yeah, if they flip MY production to Texas, I'm wondering how much M3 capacity that could open up in Fremont. After MY ramps in Giga BB, I think M3 could follow, but not in time for 2022.

Basically, I think Tesla may need to produce at least 100k more M3 than whatever they were planning before the Hertz order. This is not just because that order is 100k, but because the marketing effect of the Hertz fleet could substantially drive up M3 demand.

Speaking of marketing effect, I'm thinking that one Model 3 at Hertz could be rented out 2 to 4 times per week. This means a fleet of 100k Model 3 can generate 20 to 40 million high quality, immersive marketing exposures per year, along with word-of-mouth buzz. This has got to drive demand in ways that Tesla has heretofore never seen. Of course these exposures will likely drive demand for all Tesla models, but it could substantially alter the ratio of M3 to MY ordered. Tesla may want to have some flexibility to crank out Model 3 at a higher than expected rate.

zsbs0u21fov71.jpg

I STILL PLAN TO BUY DIPS. I'LL STOP WHEN YOU SHOW ME SOMETHING WITH BETTER POTENTIAL AND LESS RISK.

So this begs a question for me, and I’m going to embarrass myself here because you are all car people.

I am not a car person. I don’t care about cars, just need to get from Point A to Point B. I don’t own a Tesla yet, but once I secure my retirement Tesla will be my next car. I’ve often thought that I will have to ask one of you Bay Area Tesla enthusiasts to help me figure out my Model 3 when the time comes.

So if I, or someone like me, rents a Tesla from Hertz, are we going to be able to drive it without instruction??
Yeah, but you won't be able to open the doors🤣

This is why selling to Hertz was a bad idea. The wait time for new Teslas is going to double, if not triple, from all the new demand. The new customers will get tired of waiting for Tesla to deliver and never consider buying again. This is the beginning of the end.
You need to work on your sarcasm.

I would like to congratulate all longs today who stuck with Tesla through thick and thin. I posted this in another forum where I help people understand/navigate the waters of stock investment using Tesla as an example of "having conviction". We all got through it and was rewarded handsomely.

PS. The mod of this forum posted this on teslainvestorclub reddit and actually blew up because I guess it brought back memories.

Given that they have exact driving mileage data from their customers, I suspect Hertz knows exactly what they are doing here.
Agreed! The SR+ uses LFP batteries which can be routinely charged to 100% without degradation. This is the only battery that makes sense for rental vehicles. When people pick up the car they will want to see it at 100% charge and if/when they recharge they will often go up to 100%.

Tesla is doing so much to try to expand Model Y production. I'm wondering if Tesla is going to have to open up more capacity for Model 3.

Well, Zach did tell us during the Q3 Conference Call just 5 days ago that Tesla plans to increase production at Fremont by 50%... so there's that. ;)

I think we'll see another Gigapress, and another Sprung Structure for a quickie 5K/wk Model 3 line.

Cheers!

Linette saying that we have a problem here.....not sure if i agree with her🤣

Yes, a big problem. Giga Austin will make chips and salsa. No need to produce more Tesla cars and Tesla stuff.
This is why selling to Hertz was a bad idea. The wait time for new Teslas is going to double, if not triple, from all the new demand. The new customers will get tired of waiting for Tesla to deliver and never consider buying again. This is the beginning of the end.
:rolleyes: Okay, do tell what are you on today. If not dope, your account must have been hacked.

So was in Calls you sold, or a forgotten GTC sellout order? :p

I would like to congratulate all longs today who stuck with Tesla through thick and thin. I posted this in another forum where I help people understand/navigate the waters of stock investment using Tesla as an example of "having conviction". We all got through it and was rewarded handsomely.

PS. The mod of this forum posted this on teslainvestorclub reddit and actually blew up because I guess it brought back memories.

I had conviction in a lithium mining company that was being developed here in Northen Quebec with well paying jobs. The CEO Bourassa even said during the shareholders meeting that they were on the track to respect the delays, everything was as expected. They predicted production 1 year out and we’re expecting to sell Lithium at a competitive price and demand was growing. I added to my position every pay check and reached a total of 100k when they announced December 24th, 2019 that they had 400M in unexpected cost and their technology to extract lithium spodumene did not work as planned and had to restructure the company and public investors got excluded. They were delisted from TSX and I lost my 100k investment in 1 day.

I learned from my mistake, I did the same with TSLA. Now I only trust US companies led by Elon Musk ;)

Closed out a few of the near term calls ( Jan 22. ) I had picked up from this spring to now.

I posted here when I bought some of them, so am doing the same when transitioning out of them.

I acquired them to be able to turn them into LEAPS and shares, and the plan is to transition them accordingly. They were a healthy green colour when harvested, and produced a better return than chairs would have bought at the same time; so I’m cool with that. I probably left a bunch of dough in the table, but that’s ok; hope someone here got them and makes a healthy return on them.

Not sure yet - but if this keeps up; I may even exercising some.

My 95+% HODL shares remain safely in hibernation.

Onwards and Upwards !

Last edited:
Yep pretty sure given the range on the hertz page etc they will all be LFP pack cars

"Drive Tesla was able to find the Model 3 listed for pick-up at the Orlando International Airport (MCO) at a rate of $114.98 per day under the ‘Pay Later’ option. Paying for the rental upfront reduces that cost to $103.48 day.​
"That is just $11.53 more per day than a Ford Focus in the ‘Small Sedan’ category, and just $8.52 more per day than a ‘Medium Sedan’ like a Mazda 3.​
"That gap is so close that once you add in the fuel savings, it will likely work out cheaper for most renters making it a no-brainer to select the Model 3.​
"To give a better sense of how reasonable these rates are, a search of the car-sharing network Turo reveals Model 3s in the same area for the same dates rent for upwards of $300 per day."​

Cheers!

Last edited:
So this begs a question for me, and I’m going to embarrass myself here because you are all car people.

I am not a car person. I don’t care about cars, just need to get from Point A to Point B. I don’t own a Tesla yet, but once I secure my retirement Tesla will be my next car. I’ve often thought that I will have to ask one of you Bay Area Tesla enthusiasts to help me figure out my Model 3 when the time comes.

So if I, or someone like me, rents a Tesla from Hertz, are we going to be able to drive it without instruction??
I was never a car person. It was just to get places. My Tesla Model X changed all that. I make up reasons to drive places since I got it. But it still drives like a car. No key, just a fob or your phone or a key card depending on the model. Press on the brake and put it in drive (or in the newest it does that itself. And drive. You can even put it in Chill mode so it can drive like all the other just plain cars.

Tesla Model 3 available at Hertz starting November 1st
When we called in for Northern California we found out:

$104.76 daily after tax without AAA, $94.40 with AAA, no limit on miles
$481 weekly with tax and without AAA, $434 with AAA.

Have to call in and ask for Tesla Hertz Service Departement.

This compares nicely to the local going rates on https://turo.com for $97/day to $150/day before taxes and extra fees which normally add up quite substantially and have a limit on miles with overage fees as well.

Last edited:
What's our current estimate on the number of Model 3 Tesla can produce in 2022? What's our upper bound?

Tesla is doing so much to try to expand Model Y production. I'm wondering if Tesla is going to have to open up more capacity for Model 3.
Model 3 production in Europe would be nice in the long run. Adding fleet purchases to the mix might help expedite/de-risk that.