Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope to hear more about how the EV credit proposal violates international trade deals this week. Is anyone smart on the relevant international trade agreements?

My worst case would be like to sell 100 shares
Close as many CCs as possible and live to fight another day
Once CCs are closed would likely be tempted to sell far OTM 2024 calls and repeat the strategy/gains/losses all over again;)

+ accumulated 4.6X initial X shares with mainly this strategy- so called I do have some ammo in the bank
If it's income you're looking for, why not sell puts. Everytime it want to sell CCs I think, what it TSLA goes on a run.

It's nice the tax credit might swing in Tesla's favor but has the price of other new cars risen at the same pace as Tesla or does this offset that?

1635047967521-png.724938
Thanks for the graphs. Interesting to follow the changes in pricing. As a comparison, my first Model S, ordered in June 2012 and delivered in Feb 2013 had the 85 battery and grey paint, with the backward facing seats. The total price including CA tax was $104K. There was a $10K rebate ($7500 Fed and $2500 CA) reducing the cost to $94K. In comparison, our new 2021 Model S LR has midnight silver paint and beige interior and FSD. Total price with tax was $103K minus a 1.5K CA rebate. So without the rebates, the two prices were identical. Inflation should have increased the new Model S by about $20K, but Tesla kept the price the same with a zillion added features including FSD. Of course since we ordered the car in February (delivered in September) the price has increased by $15K.

It appears to me that Tesla can adjust its prices to either allow the OEM's to make a little money on their EV cars or to lose money on their EV cars. It is Tesla's choice. Allowing them to make a little money would skyrocket Tesla's net profit, but not give the customer the full benefit of the rebate. Tesla will want to price their cars to make sure they keep up the demand as they scale to building 3 Million cars in Austin and 1 Million in Fremont in a few years and perhaps another factory, depending on the demand (I assume these would essentially almost all be for the US market and eligible for the rebate).

Having Tom Brady as the de facto spokesperson for Tesla is an apt choice. It seems like the OEMs are like the quarterbacks who aims their passes at where the receiver is when they throw the ball, rather than at where the receiver is going to be.

So when are we going to get news about the next new factories? I’m thinking around April-May, when Berlin and Texas ramps are past the initial stages

Elon said at the Q3 report that probably sometime late next year they'll start scouting for the next Gigafactory and then in 2023 finalize the location.

Could start earlier though

New details about non-Tesla access to the Supercharger network in the strings of the latest Tesla App update. Looks like they'll pay a slightly higher price per kWh, that can be reduced by paying a recurring membership fee:

Does it say how much higher the surcharge will be?

It's an interesting economic decision whether to price high per kwh and push people on to subscriptions or price low to juice demand.

I'd lean towards pricing low to start with to get EV drivers hooked on great service, then increase the price if there's too much congestion on the network. It also incentives an increased rollout of superchargers and increased ev adoption. Although it could annoy existing Tesla customers if they have to wait to charge.

Looking forward to seeing it play out.

The EV1 was a wonderful car in its day. Today it would be the worst EV on the road. Two seats, poor acceleration, and short range with its NiCad batteries.

I test-drove a Volt once. I drove my Tesla Roadster to the Chevy dealership, told the salesman that I was not in the market for a new car, but was curious to see what the Volt was like. He was very pleased and let me drive it. It had nice handling and decent acceleration. I thought the two-clutch system was overly complicated, but for someone who normally drives less than 30 miles a day but wants to be able to take long road trips (Tesla's supercharger network was far more sparse back them) I could understand its appeal.

Then I took the salesman for a ride in the Roadster and showed him what an EV could really be. (And now the higher trim lines of all Tesla models can accelerate quicker than my Roadster!)

There's really only two serious EV makers. Tesla if you want the best; the Leaf if you want the most affordable. And since those two categories don't really compete with each other, Tesla has no serious competition. Unless you have irrational loyalty to one of the legacy car makers, you'll buy a Tesla or a Leaf, depending on your budget.
There are some decent little EVs out there. A lot of the ubers I get these days are konas and niros. They seem like good little cars.

The Chinese are getting better fast too. Tesla bjorn has tested a lot that he in impressed with.

People will start using it as currency if that happens. Not the worst idea.

NASDAQ doesn't allow any listed equity to trade below $1.00 for any lenght of time. That's why struggling companies do reverse stock splits, to keep from being delisted.

In the case of TSLA, a split* which brings the SP back into the $100-200 range just before a DJIA/DOW-30 addition would be ideal.

*As a share dividend, of course... ;)

Cheers!

NASDAQ doesn't allow any listed equity to trade below $1.00 for any lenght of time. That's why struggling companies do reverse stock splits, to keep from being delisted.

In the case of TSLA, a split* which brings the SP back into the $100-200 range just before a DJIA/DOW-30 addition would be ideal.

*As a share dividend, of course... ;)

Cheers!
I’ve never bought fractional shares. How many digits can they go?

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger