Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NASDAQ doesn't allow any listed equity to trade below $1.00 for any lenght of time. That's why struggling companies do reverse stock splits, to keep from being delisted.

In the case of TSLA, a split* which brings the SP back into the $100-200 range just before a DJIA/DOW-30 addition would be ideal.

*As a share dividend, of course... ;)

Cheers!
Interesting thing regarding "of course", in this situation Tesla could do a split as not a dividend with minimal effort since futher division of reasonable size requires a shareholder vote to authorize more shares as does a split not as dividend. There is no compelling reason I see to do that though.
So it most likely would be by zero net value dividend, as is typical for Deleware Corps.
Edit: wow, lots of interest on this (many posts while I was writing). This may give the background peeps are looking for:

Tesla is a Delaware corporation.
See page 4 of this write up:
https://www.thecorporatecounsel.net/miscccnet/sample-tcc.pdf
The board can't just split stock in place without a shareholder vote, thus 'as a dividend' previously:
That uncertainty was resolved in Blades v. Wiseheart, C.A. No. 5317-VCS (Del.Ch. Nov. 17, 2010), where then-Vice Chancellor Strine made it clear that, the word “may” notwithstanding, forward splits require a company to amend its certificate of incorporation in strict conformity with the procedures laid out in Section 242.
8-K Reporting. The decision to declare a stock split or dividend may well prompt the need for a Form 8-K filing. An Item 5.03 Form 8-K will be required if the company’s certificate of incorporation is amended (which will always be the case in Delaware with a forward or reverse stock split), and an Item 5.07 Form 8-K will be required to report the results of the shareholder vote.

Previous splits were easy. This time, Tesla is out of approved shares. Both changing authorized shares and changing share value require Article of Incorporation changes per DCGL 242(a)(3) (note: the pdf typos this as 243(a)(3) on page 4). Still, it's simpler to only have a vote on total shares rather than that and a specific subdivision.

Regarding the meaning if 'as dividend', this section clearly calls out the two different situations of dividend shares as a form of split (no capital change) and shares as a form of payment (capital change, actual dividend/ payment):

Delaware Code Online

§ 173. Declaration and payment of dividends.

No corporation shall pay dividends except in accordance with this chapter. Dividends may be paid in cash, in property, or in shares of the corporation’s capital stock. If the dividend is to be paid in shares of the corporation’s theretofore unissued capital stock the board of directors shall, by resolution, direct that there be designated as capital in respect of such shares an amount which is not less than the aggregate par value of par value shares being declared as a dividend and, in the case of shares without par value being declared as a dividend, such amount as shall be determined by the board of directors. No such designation as capital shall be necessary if shares are being distributed by a corporation pursuant to a split-up or division of its stock rather than as payment of a dividend declared payable in stock of the corporation.

8 Del. C. 1953, §  173; 56 Del. Laws, c. 50; 59 Del. Laws, c. 437, §  10; 65 Del. Laws, c. 127, §  5;

Terminology wise, TSLA is traded on NASDAQ , but industry standards can bleed over:
NYSE-Specific Rules. There are also some wrinkles under the NYSE rules that uniquely impact stock splits and dividends, and these are laid out in Section 703.02 of the Listed Company Manual. The first is a matter of nomenclature—the NYSE does not want listed companies to use the term “dividend” to apply to a stock split unless it involves an issuance that, under GAAP, would result in the amount credited to paid-in capital being determined by reference to the market value of the stock.
In other words, the NYSE only wants the “stock dividend” terminology applied to the smaller issuances—those involving less than 25% of the outstanding shares—that would require this accounting treatment. Larger issuances should be referred to as “stock splits,” even if they involve the declaration of a dividend as a matter of corporate law. In these instances, the NYSE wants listed companies to refer to the issuance as a “stock split in the form of a stock dividend.”

Then just the £1000 milestone left ;)
(I won't be selling any then though, I'd just like to point out)
My cost base is $110....I have a major project coming up that I need to fund....€1000 is a great psychological point, £1000 of course also interesting. But then we'd have to consider Swiss francs too

New details about non-Tesla access to the Supercharger network in the strings of the latest Tesla App update. Looks like they'll pay a slightly higher price per kWh, that can be reduced by paying a recurring membership fee:

Interesting. Opening up the supercharger network should help sell non Tesla EVs. I know a lot of people that are getting an EV for their next car and were leaning towards Tesla because if the supercharger network but would get a non Tesla if it was open to everyone.

I know demand is through the roof currently but is anyone concerned that long term this could put a big dent in Tesla sales?

As an outsider it’s the logical thing to do but nobody in the incumbents management seems to have the foresight to take the right course of action.
At this point I am shocked there is no other car company licencing tesla tech and production.

Borrow $5-10bn, licence teslas battery pack and drive train , make (lots of) cars.
Because it's a long-term dead-end. Unless it's a stop-gap until I ramp up my own design and production, no manufacturer exists that outsources their drivetrain. There is a history of joint ventures, sure, like Chrysler and Mitsubishi or GM and Suzuki, but not wholesale outsourcing.

So I agree it may make sense in the short-term, I can understand why OEMs are reluctant to license Tesla. For Superchargers, for example, if they license, they begin being beholden to the competition for their charging infrastructure.

All that said, I believe it will be license or die for many OEMs. Time will tell!

Options don’t trade after hours. Half of the total options traded in the market this week were for TSLA. Perhaps, “they” figured out a way to keep those options trades from overwhelming the “system.”

Interesting. Opening up the supercharger network should help sell non Tesla EVs. I know a lot of people that are getting an EV for their next car and were leaning towards Tesla because if the supercharger network but would get a non Tesla if it was open to everyone.

I know demand is through the roof currently but is anyone concerned that long term this could put a big dent in Tesla sales?
No because they need an subscription 19.95$ + paid kwh if no subscription they paid more expensive kwh

No because they need an subscription 19.95$ + paid kwh if no subscription they paid more expensive kwh
That won’t be a deterrent from buying a non Tesla unless you plan on doing a lot of long distance traveling. I have a Y on order and the biggest selling point to me was the supercharging network. If that is opened to all I will reconsider and look into my other options in more detail as I kind of ruled them all out because of this.

For me, most charging will be done at home. Its no big deal If I have to pay a bit more to supercharge a few times a year.

As a TSLA investor, I am looking at it from a long term investment perspective. There is so much going for tesla that I am not selling anytime soon but I do believe this will divert a good amount of sales away from tesla if open to all. Maybe the increased supercharging revenue will offset the sales loss?

At the end of the day this would help advance the mission at least.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nathan and JRP3
Eventually, getting to that point where waitstaff, hairdressers, middle management, and even telephone sanitizers regularly bring up Tesla in casual conversation, and offer unsolicited stock advice to those they encounter. This behavior is often regarded as a sign that a stock has reached its peak when it becomes widespread.

It does remind me of the .com bubble and post-2008/9 crash hype. In the main investing forum I used to follow back then, there was a trading system frequently discussed: As soon as {enter yellow-press newspaper here} reported on the stock, SELL!!!!

Wonder if this time will be different. I think there are going to be a bunch of FOMO / WSB / Hype "traders" that are selling/buying calls on TSLA now that are going to get badly burnt.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Regarding the current abrupt upswing of TSLA SP and the question as to where are we going from here on, I would like to quickly present some notes from my current research tool, dubbed the HFT analysis - Hybrid Fundamental & Technical analysis. This is a new and necessary model because of the very unique situation of TSLA as a growth stock which is/ has been continually held down as I explained in my earlier April post.

[Advice not Advice] As famed trader Jesse Livermore (JLVM) said, best is to stick with your own strategies and analysis. Analyze facts and draw your own conclusions.

Thankful here for the help of so many in this forum and especially the mods who have done such an extraordinary job keeping this forum useful (this from my son who among other duties was moderator in an online math forum for many years, a really demanding job). Thankful for all these members too numerous to mention individually, sharing much information and useful non advice, sometimes even pertinent direct feedback. Without those I would never have been able to do as well since accidentally discovering Tesla.

[TEMP Begin] As I am writing down my current analysis, conclusions and words to the wise - context necessary to operate optimally in this volatile market - I see I'm running out of time - so in the interest of timeliness posting now (Monday Nov 1 2021 7:30 AM EST) some quick notes, which I will add to later.

The graph below shows the Lower and Upper bands of my HFT Analysis as of last week, when the market closed at 1024 (for geeks a notable number ;D ).
This is where you would expect the SP to reside with 90% probability, assuming "normal" FUD/ passive resistance from interests hostile to Tesla and "normal" Wall Street financial valuations, biased towards existing financial results regardless of fundamentals and future expected results.

I have indicated on the graph the watershed 1Q earnings, 5-1 split and S&P End of Year rush.

For folks from the other thread and to a much lesser extent folks here, the question is - given that a Gamma Squeeze is all but guaranteed, how high will it go and how much of it will be kept in the baseline in the ensuing days/ weeks.

Last week was a surprise/ no surprise in the sense that the flash bump on Monday evaporated by Tuesday, but then kept creeping back up to that Gamma Squeeze level and more through the rest of the week. Upwards pressure was also noted, MMD, 11:am pushdown and 3:30 pushdowns were NOT successful at all.

From HFT fundamentals, the SP is sort of like an object lighter than water, which should rise to the surface (to its correct value, based on expected revenues/ growth/ profits) - but being in soft muddy medium instead of water, where it resides is quite arbitrary. Right now it seems as if large institutional investors are piling in - possibly because of dissatisfaction with the recent 3Q results of the usual FAANGs, moving on to TSLA, to prepare for EOY window dressing, or simply to join the FOMO crowd.

Based on the HFT analysis I then figured no need to sell anything till at least 1200, and posted succinct notes in the other thread. Turns out further announcements, including a semi leaked note that Hertz was going to be ALSO buying Model Y's, and ongoing analyst upgrades, Elon's playful and relaxed mode, PLUS DUFs (inverted FUDs) popping up, all this pointed to a much more likely super push upwards. Confirmed now in pre market trading with a 2.76% 3.84% bump.

DUF's: interestingly there were no reported Tesla fires or FSD fatal accidents. May be that would have been too easy to refute.

Instead we saw DUFs: distractions from TSLA's surprising accelerated rise or recognition of its true juggernaut nature: NHTSA's inflammatory comments/ nomination to head the agency to an established proven anti Tesla professional; BTC rising; the US administration's very questionable treatment of Tesla in the infrastructure bill; and least but not last the surprising 30% thirty percent price bump in ONE day in Lucid SP, with loud proclamations that the next Tesla had arrived (minus the batteries or real production level factories /s). That last one well orchestrated, I have to say, with Rawlinson appearing much less snake oil /used car salesman than in his last presentation. But pleaaase, how hard can it be for the cash super rich Saudi owners to just juice up the price for hype?

So now from a quick look at the HFT graph it appears as if 1300 is the mean target for TSLA in the coming days.

[Advice not advice]
From every pro trader's bible Jesse Livermore's (my approximate recollection):

- if you realize you made a mistake, just accept it, take your losses and reverse course. For folks in the other thread taking losses can be probably be done in a smart way, I'm no expert there, but my suggestion would be to use the HFT band to guide your tactics/ strategy

- the basic mistake Jesse made, and corrected quickly (for sure, I did that one too), and which differentiated his successful trades from others' who had come to the same conclusion as to the direction of the market: he did not sit on his winning trades - in other words, let them run

This will be all for the day, now back to figuring out my next moves. I'm thinking of just selling more stonk and buying short/ medium term options to juice up the upcoming days of SP rise.

The black swan event that might mar the situation (something will eventually happen forcing a correction) is yet to come. My best guess would be a (toy, faked) mini hot war with China in the South China seas - that would send the markets and TSLA crashing for sure. Somehow I don't think this is likely in the near future, the manipulators will probably want the markets to go higher so as to reap bigger profits.

Congrats again all of you longs and Tesla supporters, let's now enjoy the show.

TSLA.HFT.modelB2.jpg

[TEMP End]

( to be continued )

I've been speculating over this and it seems to me that the recent sea change in mainstream media falling in love with Tesla is leading toward that market phenomenon where more and more people are chatting up a particular stock.

Eventually, getting to that point where waitstaff, hairdressers, middle management, and even telephone sanitizers regularly bring up Tesla in casual conversation, and offer unsolicited stock advice to those they encounter. This behavior is often regarded as a sign that a stock has reached its peak when it becomes widespread.

I suspect we still have a long way to go. Years and years. Still, we are seeing a marked shift in perception and building of general awareness, which is a good thing for Tesla, TSLA, and especially for HODLers.
I have experienced this when Tesla went to 900 pre split. Everyone was talking about Tesla. I hear conversations in the lunch room and passing patrons at Disney. That was when my friend followed the "if shoe shiners are talking about it then it's time to sell". He sold 2 out of the 3 presplit shares.

Huh… I figured I was the only one who rode/ trained this way. Short rides on the SS, long rides full suspension. Right on. Though in the winter time around here it’s mostly just SS all the time.

I don’t know about a “second gear”, but Tesla is definitely pacing themselves. Their products are so far ahead of the competition they are taking profits while they can. They’ve left themselves miles of headroom to turn up the competitive heat once sales start to flag a little.

Since MTB races are the theme, we did a 2 person 24 hour race (The Coolest 24 if it matters) and sometime around midnight we‘d opened up a full lap gap on the second place team (had a bad-ass partner). When you are on the same lap, you have a big gray area about where you stand. So long as we were at least a full lap ahead, we had the luxury of being able to let off the heat a bit and more or less cruise to the finish winners.

Tesla already has a huge lead. Opening Texas and Berlin is Tesla’s version of lapping the field. Tesla had a huge lead in production before… they are now doubling that production lead in all of their major markets and reducing their per-unit costs in a single year. Huge coup.
It seems like everyone should train that way, the single speed is so quiet and engaging (read fun). Generally, if people can ride the trail, (it exists) you can ride it on a single speed in the standard gear ratio (32/18 on a 29er) (note: mine is a magic number 2013 Scott Scale, so that ratio will never change...). Around town I have a fendered bike with a generator light that covers the roads and sidewalks pretty well (Panaracer Gravel Kings on Stan's Crest rims).

Which brings up set theory and Venn Diagrams. Every year this is the first thing we would cover in elementary school math class... (they have software for that now Create a Venn diagram )

There are a few important Venn diagrams that would help us figure out TSLA and the impacts of incentives and other environmental concerns.

1. Plug in hybrid buyers vs Hertz uber users vs Tesla buyers with some sort of existence time base. So maybe a progression.
  2. A people with X amount of money for a vehicle purchase. 3 circles: $20K, $30-40K, $40K+. Someone mentioned a Leaf. The Model Y works for the other two.
Venn Diagrams help you discover empty sets where it is a bad investment of money in one case and worry in another.

Seeing how time is important as this conversation is about speed, how the Venn diagrams progress year over year is likely the best way to explain TSLA stock price.

As you mentioned: A one or more lap lead without a lot of gray ambiguous area.

Reactions: Duffer and Ogre
I am currently on a 6,000 mile road trip. In the first week I used Tesla's site to find a hotel with a destination charger in Liberal, Kansas to bridge the supercharger gap between Clayton, New Mexico and Wichita, Kansas.

Before I left on the trip I called the hotel to verify that they had a Tesla Destination charger. They said they had two. But when I arrived I found that it only charged at 12 amps! Yikes! They must have wired it to a 15 amp circuit. Luckily I found the local county fairgrounds, which had a bunch of 15-40 outlets. Close call.
Per my earlier reply, use Booking.com to find hotels and BnB's with EV charging stations (it's a filter).

If it's income you're looking for, why not sell puts. Everytime it want to sell CCs I think, what it TSLA goes on a run.
Puts tend to get left behind - max profit is baked-in

I’m not really looking for income- I’m looking at my overall account and since everything is in Tesla- im looking for options to hedge
+ CCs are the hedge, the insurance where instead you get paid in advance;)
I’ve done Puts here and there.
Post S&P I bought couple of Puts to play safe and after since slower change in prices than calls - I switched to calls

OTM Leap PUT have slow decay in value when there are big corrections( my observations) and those are the ones I like
Cheers!!

Last edited:
Regarding the current abrupt upswing of TSLA SP and the question as to where are we going from here on, I would like to quickly present some notes from my current research tool, dubbed the HFT analysis - Hybrid Fundamental & Technical analysis. This is a new and necessary model because of the very unique situation of TSLA as a growth stock which is/ has been continually held down as I explained in my earlier April post.

[Advice not Advice] As famed trader Jesse Livermore (JLVM) said, best is to stick with your own strategies and analysis. Analyze facts and draw your own conclusions.

Thankful here for the help of so many in this forum and especially the mods who have done such an extraordinary job keeping this forum useful (this from my son who among other duties was moderator in an online math forum for many years, a really demanding job). Thankful for all these members too numerous to mention individually, sharing much information and useful non advice, sometimes even pertinent direct feedback. Without those I would never have been able to do as well since accidentally discovering Tesla.

[TEMP Begin] As I am writing down my current analysis, conclusions and words to the wise - context necessary to operate optimally in this volatile market - I see I'm running out of time - so in the interest of timeliness posting now (Monday Nov 1 2021 7:30 AM EST) some quick notes, which I will add to later.

The graph below shows the Lower and Upper bands of my HFT Analysis as of last week, when the market closed at 1024 (for geeks a notable number ;D ).
This is where you would expect the SP to reside with 90% probability, assuming "normal" FUD/ passive resistance from interests hostile to Tesla and "normal" Wall Street financial valuations, biased towards existing financial results regardless of fundamentals and future expected results.

I have indicated on the graph the watershed 1Q earnings, 5-1 split and S&P End of Year rush.

For folks from the other thread and to a much lesser extent folks here, the question is - given that a Gamma Squeeze is all but guaranteed, how high will it go and how much of it will be kept in the baseline in the ensuing days/ weeks.

Last week was a surprise/ no surprise in the sense that the flash bump on Monday evaporated by Tuesday, but then kept creeping back up to that Gamma Squeeze level and more through the rest of the week. Upwards pressure was also noted, MMD, 11:am pushdown and 3:30 pushdowns were NOT successful at all.

From HFT fundamentals, the SP is sort of like an object lighter than water, which should rise to the surface (to its correct value, based on expected revenues/ growth/ profits) - but being in soft muddy medium instead of water, where it resides is quite arbitrary. Right now it seems as if large institutional investors are piling in - possibly because of dissatisfaction with the recent 3Q results of the usual FAANGs, moving on to TSLA, to prepare for EOY window dressing, or simply to join the FOMO crowd.

Based on the HFT analysis I then figured no need to sell anything till at least 1200, and posted succinct notes in the other thread. Turns out further announcements, including a semi leaked note that Hertz was going to be ALSO buying Model Y's, and ongoing analyst upgrades, Elon's playful and relaxed mode, PLUS DUFs (inverted FUDs) popping up, all this pointed to a much more likely super push upwards. Confirmed now in pre market trading with a 2.76% 3.84% bump.

DUF's: interestingly there were no reported Tesla fires or FSD fatal accidents. May be that would have been too easy to refute.

Instead we saw DUFs: distractions from TSLA's surprising accelerated rise or recognition of its true juggernaut nature: NHTSA's inflammatory comments/ nomination to head the agency to an established proven anti Tesla professional; BTC rising; the US administration's very questionable treatment of Tesla in the infrastructure bill; and least but not last the surprising 30% thirty percent price bump in ONE day in Lucid SP, with loud proclamations that the next Tesla had arrived (minus the batteries or real production level factories /s). That last one well orchestrated, I have to say, with Rawlinson appearing much less snake oil /used car salesman than in his last presentation. But pleaaase, how hard can it be for the cash super rich Saudi owners to just juice up the price for hype?

So now from a quick look at the HFT graph it appears as if 1300 is the mean target for TSLA in the coming days.

[Advice not advice]

- if you realize you made a mistake, just accept it, take your losses and reverse course. For folks in the other thread taking losses can be probably be done in a smart way, I'm no expert there, but my suggestion would be to use the HFT band to guide your tactics/ strategy

- the basic mistake Jesse made, and corrected quickly (for sure, I did that one too), and which differentiated his successful trades from others' who had come to the same conclusion as to the direction of the market: he did not sit on his winning trades - in other words, let them run

This will be all for the day, now back to figuring out my next moves. I'm thinking of just selling more stonk and buying short/ medium term options to juice up the upcoming days of SP rise.

The black swan event that might mar the situation (something will eventually happen forcing a correction) is yet to come. My best guess would be a (toy, faked) mini hot war with China in the South China seas - that would send the markets and TSLA crashing for sure. Somehow I don't think this is likely in the near future, the manipulators will probably want the markets to go higher so as to reap bigger profits.

View attachment 727986

[TEMP End]

( to be continued )
I also look for exponential trends. As Tesla is growing exponentially.
On Yahoo for example you can switch the y axis to logarithmic & then draw your TA-lines as usual.
If those match up with lines from the linear chart then you have a big technical indicator 😉

[Advice not advice]

View attachment 727986

[TEMP End]

( to be continued )

HFT is high frequency trading, which is ironic because your analysis is helping identifying short term trends…not sure if you meant that tongue in cheek! thanks for post.

Reactions: Lessmog