Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's Bernie's fault that Musk has started selling? Has Bernie forced other billionaires to sell?
Elon is trying to educate a few more Democrats besides Bernie, so that hopefully the whole idea about taxing unrealized gains never comes up again. It seems that some of them aren't capable of understanding basic economics without a demonstration.

Well, just talked to the guy that manages my funds, and found out the process for getting set up to get started, and watching for when I want to get in for a few shares to get started. Long term view for sure, and won’t worry about a few bucks either way. Gonna do a little reading to see what I think is a good value for a share discounting for hype and emotion in either direction, as part of a small portfolio with five or six other mostly tech/PNW-ish stocks involving the usual suspects held by my more wealthy investor friends.

Agree, I think the main question is how far down will they drop. Could be a great time for some leverage once Elon is around 80% done selling.
It's gonna be interesting, to say the least. I think everyone will have the same strategy, as it's clearly pretty black and white if you take Elon's word, and considering he stated that he'll abide by the Twitter poll, I think he's going to do exactly that. There will be a stampede of buyers when he nears his 10% target.

Has there ever been design and analysis work done on how quickly humanity could deliver on the most optimistic clean energy (i.e. solar) installation that powers the world? That is, if every solar company in the world focused on this one particular project?
The answer is a combination of wnd and solar. My calcs give the following global result under the most realistic optimistic case I can envisage (this takes into account O&G reserrvoir depletion, max build rates, etc):

1636990809701.png

This aligned with some day-job work on electrical energy grids and global (all-energy) growth.
1636991160060.png

(Edit: this was a quickie I did back in about 2018. It is on my list to review it next year. But I did notice that the IEA came to similar conclusions as me in their report earlier in 2021 that they did for UK Gov in advance of the COP-Glasgow session)

But what point is he going to prove? The woke mob going after him don’t own TSLA and don’t care if it drops. They probably want it to keep dropping to reduce Elon’s net worth. So in the end, I don’t think this will accomplish anything other than to hurt the people who actually believe in and support Tesla. While most of us here can HODL for many more years, I know some people who love the company but need to sell some shares short term. This turmoil is unrelated to Tesla (the business) and isn’t something they could have seen coming. It really sucks….
Are you asking me to defend it? I agree with you.

The

I’m pretty sure this is more about making a point. I don’t think he’s concerned about the stock price.
People panicking and moaning again :)

Elon was always going to sell these shares so he can pay his tax bill. It makes sense because the feeling is that the market has topped out, maybe not for TSLA but yes in general and Elon doesnt want to spend all his days worrying about the share price, he has better things to do. I advise that people take Elon's lead :)

I sold 750 shares between $1,100-$1,250. I've now bought half of them back. If TSLA goes any lower, I will buy them all back.

These shares are a bargain compared to a few weeks ago, and expensive compared to a few months ago. But mid to long term, Tesla as a company is creating tons of value, so dont worry about it. But also, dont leverage in short term unless you are asking for trouble!

People panicking and moaning again :)

Elon was always going to sell these shares so he can pay his tax bill. It makes sense because the feeling is that the market has topped out, maybe not for TSLA but yes in general and Elon doesnt want to spend all his days worrying about the share price, he has better things to do. I advise that people take Elon's lead :)

I sold 750 shares between $1,100-$1,250. I've now bought half of them back. If TSLA goes any lower, I will buy them all back.

These shares are a bargain compared to a few weeks ago, and expensive compared to a few months ago. But mid to long term, Tesla as a company is creating tons of value, so dont worry about it. But also, dont leverage in short term unless you are asking for trouble!
This is what I am working on figuring out. As you said, current price is cheap compared to a few weeks ago, and expensive compared to a few months. And I am looking for info on how to find out about the fundamentals. As I have not actually played this game before. Will keep reading.

Moving forward, going to stay out of the Elon vs. Bernie thing. I do think the very wealthy need to pay a greater share toward our infrastructure, and things society needs. I have said elsewhere, more akin to the Eisenhower years in effect. But modernized for how markets and things work now. Not saying Bernie has the right idea of how to get there. To me Twitter yelling back and forth is just noise. Bernie is not getting anything like what he is yelling about passed any time soon, if ever. And the 2-3% or 10% or whatever might not be the right approach anyway.
I don’t love the twitter show on either side, and don’t think Elon helps anyone by engaging in it. Except maybe a guy like me who wants to get into a few shares at a lower price.

But what point is he going to prove? The woke mob going after him don’t own TSLA and don’t care if it drops. They probably want it to keep dropping to reduce Elon’s net worth. So in the end, I don’t think this will accomplish anything other than to hurt the people who actually believe in and support Tesla. While most of us here can HODL for many more years, I know some people who love the company but need to sell some shares short term. This turmoil is unrelated to Tesla (the business) and isn’t something they could have seen coming. It really sucks….
The woke mob doesn't own TSLA. But a fair number of pensions do, including those of unions.

The woke mob is loud, but small. In order to get anything done, the mob needs allies.

I really fail to see how some can make some mental gymnastics and claim Elon is “hurting the shareholders”.

Is it probably because them “shareholders” are actually only interested in the short term, probably options players that are getting burned now because of this? 🤔

Attachments

• 59610960-B0FD-4520-9EB2-4D85DFC03502.jpeg
    59610960-B0FD-4520-9EB2-4D85DFC03502.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 48
The woke mob doesn't own TSLA. But a fair number of pensions do, including those of unions.

The woke mob is loud, but small. In order to get anything done, the mob needs allies.
Exactly. Pensions that people will see evaporating before their eyes because Elon thinks he’s proving a point. You think the people affected by this will view TSLA/Tesla in a good light?

Last edited:
This is what I am working on figuring out. As you said, current price is cheap compared to a few weeks ago, and expensive compared to a few months. And I am looking for info on how to find out about the fundamentals. As I have not actually played this game before. Will keep reading.
There are lots of great YouTubers who talk about the fundamentals. Tesla Daily and SolvingTheMoneyProblem are very good or if you are feeling very bullish Warren Redlich. But basically read everything you can get your hands or eyes on, and do the calculations yourself.

All outcomes are possible. At the two extremes
1. The competition catches up with Tesla or puts pricing pressure on their cars, and Tesla struggles to scale up energy or release robo-taxis. Tesla ramps up cars well to become no.1 car manufacturer by end of the decade selling roughly similar to Toyota now. In this scenario Tesla will do well to match the S&P 500 over the next 10 years
2. Tesla gets to 20m sales annually by 2030 with at least 25% margin accounting for 1 in 4 new cars, ramps up energy and own batteries, semis and solar roofs, and robotaxis go live by 2025. If this happens TSLA will probably 30x again from here!

Exactly. Pensions that people will see evaporating before their eyes because Elon thinks he’s proving a point. You think the people affected by this will view TSLA/Tesla is a good light?
I think he will be proving his point rather effectively.

Musk owns about 20% of Tesla, so if he sells 10% of his shares, that will be 2% of Tesla's shares sold. The wealth tax proposals floating around are 1% or 2% or 3% per annum of only publicly-traded wealth. So Musk is demonstrating what those proposals actually mean for the markets.