Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bernie going after Elon again. He wants to submit a legislative amendment to block SpaceX. The guy is a complete moron. SpaceX is doing space travel cheaper than ever. Who does he want the taxpayer money to go to for the job? Maybe he can get POTUS to grab a few Union guys from Detroit to get us to the moon?

Quoting Bernie in this clip:

"...it is not acceptable that the two wealthiest people in this country, Mr Bezos and Mr Musk, take control of our space efforts to return to the moon and maybe even the extraordinary accomplishment of getting to the moon. This not something for two billionaires to be directing. This is something for the American people to be determining."​

Some folks here opined that Elon's goading of Bernie on Twitter was childish and therefore unbecoming a corporate leader. However, Sun Tzu's The Art of War recommends:

If the enemy's general is obstinate and prone to anger, insult and enrage him, so that he will be irritated and confused, and without a plan will recklessly advance against you. (page 67)​

I don't know if Elon's goading irritated Bernie. I do know that Bernie's speech above, unlike other positions of his that I supported, is completely irrational and nonsensical. (To my knowledge, NASA and DOD direct the publicly funded space efforts and contract with SpaceX.) Bernie's speech has destroyed his credibility in my eyes, and I will never support him again.

TheStreet - today: Tesla Bull Cathie Wood Sees Big Trouble Ahead for GM and Ford

Excerpt:

...“It’s going to be awfully difficult for those companies to manage during the next five to 10 years,” Wood she told Barron’s.

“And we would bet that they will not be alive in their current state. They may be in combination with someone else, or they may go bankrupt.”...

...As for Tesla, if it’s “the first to be successful in autonomous [vehicles] in the U.S., we’re beginning to believe that not only will Tesla take that biggest share of the electric vehicle market, we believe that it could take 20% to 25% share of the total auto market in five years,” Wood said.

She predicts the stock will hit $3,000 in 2025...

Bernie going after Elon again. He wants to submit a legislative amendment to block SpaceX. The guy is a complete moron. SpaceX is doing space travel cheaper than ever. Who does he want the taxpayer money to go to for the job? Maybe he can get POTUS to grab a few Union guys from Detroit to get us to the moon?

Musk is the only one with a chance of getting to the moon before Bernie's expiration date.

One way for people to understand what Elon does or might do is to go read about his personality type. If you google it, most people have settled on INTP (which I also agree with) though there is some debate about that. While you can find a good amount about INTPs and personality types online, my favorite resource is the Please Understand Me II book.
oh god can we get back to numerology

My gut is telling me it is easier for Tesla to design and manufacture a phone than for Apple to design and manufacture a car.
i don't see Tesla creating a phone ... it does not further the mission and it is not disruptive enough ... why would you take on the likes of AAPl and GOOGL when you can go after monopolistic energy companies, car companies and the entire labor market (bots)...

Tesla has a lot more important projects

Quoting Bernie in this clip:

"...it is not acceptable that the two wealthiest people in this country, Mr Bezos and Mr Musk, take control of our space efforts to return to the moon and maybe even the extraordinary accomplishment of getting to the moon. This not something for two billionaires to be directing. This is something for the American people to be determining."​

Some folks here opined that Elon's goading of Bernie on Twitter was childish and therefore unbecoming a corporate leader. However, Sun Tzu's The Art of War recommends:

If the enemy's general is obstinate and prone to anger, insult and enrage him, so that he will be irritated and confused, and without a plan will recklessly advance against you. (page 67)​

I don't know if Elon's goading irritated Bernie. I do know that Bernie's speech above, unlike other positions of his that I supported, is completely irrational and nonsensical. (To my knowledge, NASA and DOD direct the publicly funded space efforts and contract with SpaceX.) Bernie's speech has destroyed his credibility in my eyes, and I will never support him again.
They were actually all irrational and nonsensical. Government is a monopoly and operates independent of competition or real incentives to improve in a real sense. They sometimes do metrics ok. Consider education…

Reactions: cjkosh and Paul_SF
On today's revelation of the latest details of how the plans for Martian development are unfolding, a wry observation stolen from Teslarati's coverage of same:

"When mankind's recent ancestors made the great leap of abandoning arboreal living, co-incident with that was that we became cave dwellers.

When mankind soon makes the great leap of becoming an interplanetary species, co-incident with that is that...we will become cave dwellers."

Partial disclosure: not really stolen. I knowz dis guy who knowz dis guy who wrote that.

That... is a lot bigger than a Wa-Wa.

This is the closest Bucees to GigaTexas and might offer a better perspective of size.
Plenty of room for Superchargers, and squeegees.
Credit: Google Maps.

1637290395650.png
Everything's bigger in Texas.

i don't see Tesla creating a phone ... it does not further the mission and it is not disruptive enough ... why would you take on the likes of AAPl and GOOGL when you can go after monopolistic energy companies, car companies and the entire labor market (bots)...

Tesla has a lot more important projects

People increasingly want a single OS for all their devices.

They don't want to learn a 2nd OS for their car.

A Tesla phone lets them chose the Tesla OS ecoystem.

On today's revelation of the latest details of how the plans for Martian development are unfolding, a wry observation stolen from Teslarati's coverage of same:

"When mankind's recent ancestors made the great leap of abandoning arboreal living, co-incident with that was that we became cave dwellers.

When mankind soon makes the great leap of becoming an interplanetary species, co-incident with that is that...we will become cave dwellers."

Partial disclosure: not really stolen. I knowz dis guy who knowz dis guy who wrote that.

Dwellers of caves that we manufacture ourselves. Quite the leap.

blanket statement.

CC's don't work when SP shoots up, CC's work when SP dips or stays stagnant. (When SP was down a lot last year, some one posted CC gains in the millions)
Selling CC's is a strategy just like any other option play.

We could all say the following:
.Selling puts does not work
.Buying options does not work
.Selling options does not work
.Selling/Buying BPS does not work
.Buying/Selling BPC does not work

. Even risk averse person might say -- buying stocks and being in markets doesn't work
.non-diversified portfolio does not work

Just one data point, but so far selling CC's has worked for me
(so far ... selling from pre-split 600's - I am still in the game.).

I have a mental pigg(CC)y bank with shares aquired by selling CC's - locked for use in future. cheers!!
My comment applies to selling CC-s only and specifically selling CCs.

Even-though I still occasionally use them, I find them lest worth it, than selling naked puts and similar (if one can run the math to calculate future margin); mostly because they put one in a false sense of security "oh well, I'll sell for that price if I have to" only to realize that such perspective wasn't welcome when it actually happens.

It's great it works for you, and I hope it continues well; tough from my perspective pre-split 600 is quite recent history. My perspective is about decade long on options. But I'm certain there are people that can do it really well...

I always find this mindset interesting. There are a crap ton of pennies out there and large moves happening within a trading week are actually kinda rare. Since the selling of Covered Calls is really an out of the money thing in discussion here... I'll keep it on that side. In the last 5 years, Tesla has had 3 weeks that had a 25+% move in a week from Monday open to Friday close, 5 weeks between 20-25%, and 9 weeks between 15-20%. So 3 times in 262 weeks would a 25% OTM call burn somebody or 1.1% of the time. 3% of the time for 20% plus. 97% of the time selling a weekly call 20% out of the money will expire worthless. This week opened around ~1000 and 1200C were selling at ~1.40 to start the week (were over 2 very briefly to start). So $1.40 per share. This is a high volatility time so that return is a little high, but >$1 has been the norm 20+% out of the money. Historically, ~3% of the time those options could be in danger. When you break down those 8 weeks, 3 were earnings related events, 3 were deliveries related, 1 was the split. 6 of 8 could have been avoided by avoiding those weeks entirely, or setting a higher strike to say ~30% (that Tesla has not crossed once in a single week in the last 5 years). 2 of 8 would have had to be rolled.

I get the risk may simply not be worth it to many, but there is a solid amount of money to be made by simply selling ~20% OTM calls. It can likely near or match dividend yields on a stock like XOM while still having the Tesla growth potential on the underlying stock. Personally, I don't want to deal with rolling them very often... on obvious catalyst weeks (quarterly earnings and deliveries) I don't sell. Most other weeks I set at 20-25% OTM. This return has allowed me to increase my base shares and take some other option risks over the past year+. Not for everyone, but the pennies can add up.
I see what you're saying. $1+ on a $1000 stock weekly. That's only few percents a year. And my fees (in Canada, no free trading yet, but no selling order flow either) would eat 10-25% of it.

I try to do a bit better last few years by selling short further out of money puts...

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 10.41.40 PM.png

Last edited: