Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford’s valuation, along with every other legacy auto’s, is stuck in the mud because of the mountain of stranded assets they have. They can’t simply shut down their ice production because it would bankrupt them within months.

It’s a nice hypothetical….but in reality it’s just that, hypothetical. Because the legacy auto makers can’t just abandon their ice assets. They sealed their fates 5 years ago when they didn’t make the necessary hard choices to start the transition
Well Ford F IS up about 150% from it’s pre-covid valuation and up about 5x from when I bought it during the pandemic. So, I wouldn‘t necessarily call that a stuck in the mud valuation.

• Informative
Reactions: H Mak
Macros up, but TSLA hedgies hard at work early in the Pre-market with lite volume: :p

Nasdaq 100 Dec 21 (NQ=F)​

CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
16,531.75 +50.50 (+0.31%)
As of 5:25AM EST. Market open

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Nov 19, 2021 05:33 AM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$1,091 -5.38 (-0.49%)
Pre-Market Volume55,071
Pre-Market High$1,105 (04:17:30 AM)
Pre-Market Low$1,090.31 (05:11:57 AM)

... because RIVN, amirite? ;)

Cheers!

I see what you're saying. $1+ on a $1000 stock weekly. That's only few percents a year. And my fees (in Canada, no free trading yet, but no selling order flow either) would eat 10-25% of it.

I try to do a bit better last few years by selling short further out of money puts...
We can’t compare puts to CC, but to the underlying stock and the CC sold against them - it then becomes a different ball game . Cheers!!

i don't see Tesla creating a phone ... it does not further the mission and it is not disruptive enough ... why would you take on the likes of AAPl and GOOGL when you can go after monopolistic energy companies, car companies and the entire labor market (bots)...

Tesla has a lot more important projects
My point wasn't that Tesla should make a phone. I don't think they should as it would likely be race to the bottom and turn into a low margin business.

My point was the to capabilities of both companies. If you had to bet on the success of Apple getting into cars or Tesla making a phone, I believe the latter has a much better chance of success. Mainly because Apple lacks the large scale manufacturing for cars. They can go to a 3rd party but will they then be able to innovate the way we see Tesla innovating with cars. (4860, Casings, etc.).

Tesla has everything they need to make a phone, the software, hardware and manufacturing, they just choose not to do it for obvious business reasons.

Lora Kolodny at CNBC is at it again:

Here's where Tesla and other EVs ranked in this year's Consumer Reports reliability survey

This article is about how Consumer Reports ranked Tesla very low in reliability, 27th out of 28 brands.

Here is the actual Consumer Reports article:

Who Makes the Most Reliable New Cars?

Every Tesla owner I know has always praised how trouble free their cars have been. Maybe my friends have just been lucky? Or is this another example of advertiser bias? 🤔
All those software updates pushed willy-nilly to my driveway with improvement after improvement - sheesh. Clearly no quality control!

Here's where Tesla and other EVs ranked in this year's Consumer Reports reliability survey

This article is about how Consumer Reports ranked Tesla very low in reliability, 27th out of 28 brands.

Every Tesla owner I know has always praised how trouble free their cars have been. Maybe my friends have just been lucky? Or is this another example of advertiser bias? 🤔

Most of those surveys conflate initial quality with "reliability" but it's also fair to say that Tesla's aren't as reliable as say a Toyota, at least so far. Mine has been great overall, but I did have a few failures early on (onboard charger, steering module). My Toyota never had anything go wrong. The important part is that Tesla owners love our cars so much that a few minor repairs doesn't bother us. I also believe the drivetrain on our cars will last a long time, it's the smaller items that will be the failure points.

i don't see Tesla creating a phone ... it does not further the mission and it is not disruptive enough ... why would you take on the likes of AAPl and GOOGL when you can go after monopolistic energy companies, car companies and the entire labor market (bots)...

Tesla has a lot more important projects

No kidding, wot? Elon JUST SAID in an interview like 2 days ago that the reason he thought 20+ years ago he wouldn't need to build an electric car is because GM had the EV1, and so there'd be an EV2, EV3... and the problem was solved.

Then GM crushed the EV1 and so Elon joined up with a nascent Tesla to make sure the problem of ICE cars got solved by building compelling EVs.

So if Apple crushes the iPhone and starts selling only flip fones, THEN and ONLY THEN will Tesla build a smart phone.

Sheesh.

74523760.jpg

The Tesla iOS app was updated yesterday, and they’re clearly putting a lot of effort into making that the center of the Tesla experience. This and the past couple updates have added features like customizable widgets, multiple car phone-as-key, better solar control, access to the Tesla shop, Safety Score, etc.

One thing I noticed today that I hadn’t seen mentioned yet is their push to do delivery entirely over the app (at least in the US). Previously, you’d put your insurance and financing info in on the Account page on the tesla.com website. Now when you go to the site for an existing reservation, it says to download the app and do all of that there.

Here's what it looks like for my MX. The icons next to the active "Schedule" one are for Insurance, Final Payment, Purchase Agreement, and Delivery Acceptance.

This streamlined and consolidated ecosystem (vehicles, solar, service, shopping) centered on the app is another subtle competitive advantage, keeping everyone in one place for all things Tesla. I like the strategy, and I think they're executing it well.

1637328483743.png

The most interesting part when you have read about Musk and listened to one of the greatest engineer of the present time is that the reason Elon started SpaceX is because there was no mention on the NASA website of any future project of form of exploitation {<===I believe our native RomanceLanguage speaker might have wanted to use the peculiar English word "exploration". At least...I hope so!} whatsoever.
Thanks for correcting my post.

The amount of terrible autocorrects my French keyboard make is out of this world. Sometimes I write a message in less than 5 mins when I am short on time and don’t have time to proof read it. Then I come back 1 day later when I have more time and can’t even understand what I wrote. Some words are automatically replaced by French words which don’t have the same meaning at all in English for the benefit of you guys trying to decrypt my messages. If I switch my keyboard to English it’s way better but then when I start using the dictation application back, starting to talk in French to an English keyboard is worse. I switch keyboard autocorrect langages over 10 times during a day. If you saw the words the iPhone automatically autocorrects some times, it’s impossible to understand.

I am starting to regret not buying more TSLA in the 900s couple days ago. Waiting for StrongGuy3 to come tell us he managed to buy back in the 800s at the beginning of the week :X

Last edited:
Most of those surveys conflate initial quality with "reliability" but it's also fair to say that Tesla's aren't as reliable as say a Toyota, at least so far. Mine has been great overall, but I did have a few failures early on (onboard charger, steering module). My Toyota never had anything go wrong. The important part is that Tesla owners love our cars so much that a few minor repairs doesn't bother us. I also believe the drivetrain on our cars will last a long time, it's the smaller items that will be the failure points.
I don't know... My Toyota oil just keeps going bad. Really annoying

And still more happily I see that appearing for Tesla is not only a litigator at a great litigation firm, but the guy also specializes in exactly this type of issue: Jonathan E. Pickhardt | Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP

Investment banks routinely screw their clients. But JPM was really just too blatant about it here. I hope they get schooled.

1637330913985.png

Happily I see that Elon's favorite litigation firm has recently been adverse to JP Morgan in an even bigger suit. So they may represent Tesla against JPM.

Lot of it has to do with the term reliable. What does it mean?
Was our Toyota Corolla Hybrid not reliable when the insulation/gasket around the interior side of the front door fell half way off a couple months into owning it and we had to take it to dealer for them to fix?
Was our Mercedes not reliable when the captains chair arm rest wouldnt stay up in the back seat and we had to take it to dealer to fix?
Was our Mercedes not reliable when twice it died right in the middle of the road and had to be towed?

One of those is a reliability issue(s) and two of them are annoyances. Consumer Reports says they were all reliability issues. Another reliability issue is panel gaps. I have bought new cars only since 1989 and have never once checked panel gaps on any car and that includes the 2 Tesla's we have. Yet consumers have been hammered to check Tesla's for inconsistent panel gaps. Never even heard of the idea until I paid attention to Tesla. Made me remember something I found odd with our BMW 530i trunk. Never thought much of it, but now would say hey the trunk wasnt 100% perfect.

Same here as we have had more minor issues than other cars but nothing that would leave us stranded on the road.

Some how they are not accounting for the lack of maintenance. Even with the minor issues, I spend less time dealing with the Tesla's than with ICE cars overall.

On today's revelation of the latest details of how the plans for Martian development are unfolding, a wry observation stolen from Teslarati's coverage of same:

"When mankind's recent ancestors made the great leap of abandoning arboreal living, co-incident with that was that we became cave dwellers.

When mankind soon makes the great leap of becoming an interplanetary species, co-incident with that is that...we will become cave dwellers."

Partial disclosure: not really stolen. I knowz dis guy who knowz dis guy who wrote that.
Houses are just glorified caves anyway.