Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad you’re back! ’Less corrosion resistance’ doesn’t sound like a good thing, did you mean ‘better corrosion resistance’?
^This. The error I have had the most trouble with professionally is precisely people using the wrong number of negations.
"I could care less"; "Never hesitate to avoid not making the wrong mistake in vain!; "One eye was dry"; "I have a red penny" etc.
In this case ti saw easy to understand the intended meaning. ;)

Merry Christmas, just needs some green in there today.

1638814213486.png

Perfect opportunity to teach them about market TSLA volatility and how it should be ignored, etc…. Or, and this would be my preferred approach, lie and tell them you bought the shares earlier this year in the 600s. You’ll be their hero.
The youngest is 10 and has no idea about the stock market, he would have preferred the cyberquad that I saw selling for $4000 on fb marketplace. He’ll only care when he gets the account at 21 years old and can buy a house with those Tesla shares after a few splits. I thought we might get a dip and finally bought at 983, not the best price today but a Dollar cost averaging Lesson.

Last edited:
^This. The error I have had the most trouble with professionally is precisely people using the wrong number of negations.
"I could care less"; "Never hesitate to avoid not making the wrong mistake in vain!; "One eye was dry"; "I have a red penny" etc.
And that post, my friend, fills a much-needed gap.

Feels good, doesn’t it? 🙂

I avoid letting emotions get involved, I'm passionate about many things (including Tesla), but I'm probably one of the most dispassionate investors you'll ever meet. I surprise myself sometimes with how little emotion my trade decisions involve. It's almost like it's someone else I'm watching make the decisions, especially when they are long-term decisions, not quick, speculative trades.

I actually think we may be in for some more very near-term weakness, but I didn't want to risk that it might not happen.

So glad you’re still here posting @jbaricoa!

I use margin as sort of an ATM on our brokerage. At 1.85% it’s the cheapest money I can source. instead of selling shares. We’re long shares only. I aim for 5% in good times but very judiciously so to not pass 10%.

That said, even being long shares only…that 5% margin has turned into 10+% (during a TSLA sell-off) it’s tempting to buy shares on margin; but for me it’s gotta look INCREDIBLY oversold and even then I don’t have the cahonas to hold those long term; usually just end up selling those at modest gains just to have captured the dip and usually end up with a few extra shares.

With all that; I have found margin to be a very scary endeavor; but can be useful if used with extreme caution.
well said.

Obviously it'll be just after Elon finishes selling and FOMO begins for 4Q earnings.

Wait! Everyone already knows about both of those events. So maybe sooner?

Wait! MM's know that we know that they know. So maybe they'll naked short the stock even harder into year end?

Wait! Put volume is so extreme for year end that might not be optimal. So MM's will need to add support at any dips to $950, right?

Hmmmmmm..... difficult to say. All I will say is it's unlikely I'll be able to buy 2024 $1200/$1400 call spreads for $40 after 4Q earnings are released. Therefore my answer is..... January 12th.

I like this post a lot because it really captures the folly of trying to use reason to predict near-term share price moves. The primary way the individual can get an advantage is when they have a unique analysis that the market currently is missing but that will come to pass and affect the market as expected. Or material inside information.

This "better analysis" can work great in the long-term but, in the short-term, it's not as common as people think because all the known information tends to mish-mash into noise. Only occasionally do things line up and create a strong opportunity. Successful traders work odds slightly in their favor and it's a lot of hard work, a grind really, but you can do pretty well at it if you happen to be exceptional and are willing to do the grind with big bets. It's a game of knowing when the odds are on your side even if you end up being wrong 40% of the time.

"I couldn’t care less" is intentionally annoying.

"I could care less" is intentionally both annoying and grating.

Hence, attempts to correct the latter only reinforce its use.

Ah, English, my mother tongue, you are so powerful and yet so, ah, labile. 🤨

• Helpful
Reactions: jhm and FireMedic