Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IV at 58.91%, seems it dropped by a lot .🤔
no kidding
Screenshot from 2021-12-10 15-54-34.png

Maybe the wind tunnel testing has shown that the current “hidden wiper” techniques are too problematic.
I am guessing, that standard “hidden wiper” techniques rely on the hood and windshield slope-angles being different, so you can hide the wiper behind the hood's extended line.
However, the cybertruck has the hood and windshield sharing the same plane, i.e. the windshield continues the same line looking at the side profile, which means, the wiper has nowhere to hide. When it is in operation it has to be above the glass, but for hiding it would need to dip below the plane, which means leaving a big gap for it right in the middle of the plane -- pretty bad for aerodynamics (acts as a trap for incoming frontal air).

Actually in the picture, the only thing that is clear is that the bottom of the wiper is fixed and that there will be a rotary motion at that location. However, I believe as per the patent that there will be a mix of rotary and linear actuators to make the blade stay vertical and move right to left.

It would me more efficient and less costly to do it this way instead of the way described in the patent.

I hope so because I don't think it would be very effective with only rotary actuation! Even conventional dual wipers fight against the water driven by the airstream. The Cybertruck would be worse because the hood slopes at the same angle as the windshield which will direct a lot more water volume over the glazed area.

Reactions: hiroshiy
As occurred three times this week, on Friday TSLA again dipped beneath its 50-day SMA (simple moving average) before closing above. That’s encouraging. A bullish pennant formation continues unfurling. This was formed by lowering peaks and a flat line of valleys, that followed a sharp runup to a record high November 4. The normal resolution is a return to the uptrend.

The base structure of the Cybertruck is not suited to be a van. Certainly not a delivery van. It is a stainless steel exoskeleton so it can carry 3000lbs of cargo and be a unibody. As a van, a full stainless body would be very heavy. And as an SUV, it would make little sense as well. They could make a van or SUV inspired by the angular look, but making it out of stainless like the cyber would make it much heavier than needed for it's purpose. Of course anything is lighter than the Hummer EV, so maybe nothing matters

Right now Elon is about filling the biggest markets and offsetting the most carbon. The cybertruck does that. The Semi does that. And those two new models will take up ALL of the battery supply Tesla can muster all the way until 2025. And the new global compact car and energy really have supply tied up for even longer. We simply need EVEN MORE BATTERIES to consider any other models.

The base structure of the Cybertruck is the Cybertruck in shape and form and therefore can't be a delivery van.

However, with an industrial sheet metal brake large enough to handle a delivery van, Tesla could redesign the exoskeleton concept into a delivery van using considerably thinner stainless steel. They could also use a heavier gauge stainless steel for the lowers and cap it with a much lighter s.s. upper exoskeleton. However, I think for a van big enough to be a delivery van it might make the most sense to make it out of regular structural steel and galvanize and paint it for cost reasons.