Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The text/pictures on the coffee mug pretty much describes me, my wife says.
(but not getting too many complaints, since I got her into investing in TSLA herself).
Would very much like to get one.
Where to buy or is it custom made?
My guess is that there will be more here that are interested, so I posted in stead of a PM to @redan .

Interested! +1! That’s mug describes my husband perfectly! Would have been a great Christmas present had I know it existed!

TL;DR - Today marks my decade TMC anniversary. I'm so happy for this forum. I appreciate everyone that participates to make this a true melting pot of amazingly sharp minds, shares their insights, puts stuff 'out there' and the community answers in a way that I can trust. We are living in a world that has ever increasing and accelerating change; we, here in this forum, are staying ahead of it, helping to invest in it, helping to shape it, benefiting from it in many ways and above all, making a world a better place for it!

Throughout my life, I've changed quite a bit, but do not feel like I've compromised my fundamental values. Never invested in petroleum or tobacco; both have hurt me and my family at an early age and continue to be burden to the planet and society.

My early days in college had me dreaming about a flywheel design to reduce emissions. I later found out, when working with JB, that he also had that idea originally! So cool! I really enjoyed working with him. So damn smart! Also, Elon was smart as well ;) I had invested almost all of my savings in TSLA, prior to joining Tesla, but remained steadfast thanks to this forum!

I took delivery of my first Tesla Jan 2013, a 60kWh Model S with the first 3rd row seat installed at the factory. Later, when I joined Tesla, I found an easel, on the original S line, prior to when we tore it down, where the line workers would write the VIN down when they completed it. A magical moment for me to see where my baby was born. To this day, she is being very well taken care of by a good family friend with very little battery degradation I might add for the original battery!

After Tesla, I made Google Maps and then custom ASICs, but my best job was definitely building up the team and making AP at Tesla.

@Discoducky , excellent post in many ways!

I, too was a flywheel fan. .. Uh, a fan of flywheels. All along I've thought they should make spinning flywheel-batteries somehow. (Please nobody start a barrage of flywheel posts!

Lithium mining isn't very pretty looking, but apparently they think they will build a huge lithium mine in Nevada. I doubt Americans will want to mine anything though, it's very dangerous to dig minerals out of the Earth still after all these centuries. Also the process of extracting minerals from the Earth is inherently a destructive process, not just in terms of digging the rather large hole but also the chemical reactions needed to separate out lithium. I don't think America will allow large scale mining operations of this kind anymore, but hey, prove me wrong!

Here's a sample of what it will be like to actually fight to get lithium mined in the United States.:

Last edited:
Sure, but you can wait it out or buy on the dip (remember March 2020). Good company will come back even stronger (along with the SP)!
But I'm a simple all-LEAPS guy (mostly), and those things can expire or otherwise drop greatly in value. At least one forum member here lost their shirt putting it all in LEAPS a year or two too early.

I know it's risky, still telling myself that when my account balance reaches a new all time high (measured in the largest number of shares that cashing
them all in could buy), I'll cash them all in and just HODL nice, safe shares ever after...

But I know I'll probably never really do that because I just can't help myself and likely be a deer-in-the-headlights victim watching my account wither in a three-year Macro recession or something.

But I'm a simple all-LEAPS guy (mostly), and those things can expire or otherwise drop greatly in value. At least one forum member here lost their shirt putting it all in LEAPS a year or two too early.

I know it's risky, still telling myself that when my account balance reaches a new all time high (measured in the largest number of shares that cashing
them all in could buy), I'll cash them all in and just HODL nice, safe shares ever after...

But I know I'll probably never really do that because I just can't help myself and likely be a deer-in-the-headlights victim watching my account wither in a three-year Macro recession or something.

Go 50/50 or something.

Investor Directed FSD Experience update

As votes turn to weights stock price will be influenced by how fast FSD improves.

Background
I have a test run that the dog enjoys as there is always fetching by the lake once we reach our destination.
The car gets in the high school turn lane and shows no signs of slowing to avoid the curb at the end.
I have tried all sorts of music over the course of the day. None had any effect, until this morning.

Results
  1. Nina Simone works. I was thinking, "She cursed out an entire state. If I need the car to be more assertive than Frank Sinatra, Nina would be the answer." I don't recall the exact song, but it was definitely Nina.
  2. Tesla does sleep at night. It seems there is an over damped learning mechanism. The car entered the turn lane and then got out of the turn lane.
  3. The algorithm tries to put the car in a position to succeed by minimizing decision points. If you have taken a driver's ed course, every decision is a chance to make a mistake. The car not only got out of the right hand turn lane, but moved all the way over to the left most lane. This eliminated all the lane decisions about the shopping center entrances before the actual turn.
Investment implications

At least for now, Tesla has the bandwidth to run learning algorithms at night resulting in a learning clock rate that should keep customers satisfied. I don't know if this nightly event is preformed on centralized or distributed assets.

The algorithms are over damped which means that they will converge. This should obtain satisfied customers.

The car could stand to look a little further down the road using map data on known routes. It currently slows too abruptly at left turns at stop lights. It seems like the slowing trigger is driven off vision. Proximity to planned 90 degree turn should be an earlier trigger for slowing down - map/location data and some sort of acceleration math can solver this. I expect Tesla has not gotten to this yet, as it is easier than what they are trying to solve with vision. Coming into corners, where a full stop may be required, fast will cause people to not use the feature, thus, starving Tesla of data. "People don't use it and we don't know why!"

Even in chill mode the driving, particularly braking, needs to be more polished.

Conclusion

FSD improved daily for me.
The problems that are left to solve are well posed for almost any company, but may not be glamorous enough for Tesla.
Elon will point out the customer experience as an important part of the mission and even the easy stuff will get solved.

"Automakers area also signing contracts that leverage domestic supply, including Ford sourcing lithium from recycled content through Redwood Materials, GM sourcing lithium from geothermal brines in the Salton Sea with Controlled Thermal Resources, and Tesla sourcing lithium from a Piedmont project in North Carolina."

😳
I thought the Piedmont lithium deal fell through from NIMBY NC local opposition?

Reactions: wtlloyd
@Discoducky , excellent post in many ways!

I, too was a flywheel fan. .. Uh, a fan of flywheels. All along I've thought they should make spinning flywheel-batteries somehow. (Please nobody start a barrage of flywheel posts!
When I was working for the national telecom operator, here in Belgium, and we toured the data-centre, they had a flywheel backup battery - was a very heavy cylinder, more than a wheel, I guess for practical reasons...

When I was working for the national telecom operator, here in Belgium, and we toured the data-centre, they had a flywheel backup battery - was a very heavy cylinder, more than a wheel, I guess for practical reasons...
Belgium has something with flywheels...

1640525204412.png

And let's not forget the hybrid Porsche 911 GT3R

Also cool you got to tour their data center, I never got that tour ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Tslynk67
Lithium mining isn't very pretty looking, but apparently they think they will build a huge lithium mine in Nevada. I doubt Americans will want to mine anything though, it's very dangerous to dig minerals out of the Earth still after all these centuries. Also the process of extracting minerals from the Earth is inherently a destructive process, not just in terms of digging the rather large hole but also the chemical reactions needed to separate out lithium. I don't think America will allow large scale mining operations of this kind anymore, but hey, prove me wrong!

Here's a sample of what it will be like to actually fight to get lithium mined in the United States.:
By “chemical reactions needed to separate out the lithium” do you mean adding in some salt? It was discovered and disclosed just this year.
Does Tesla have a patent pending on this new process?

Reactions: Sudre
The text/pictures on the coffee mug pretty much describes me, my wife says.
(but not getting too many complaints, since I got her into investing in TSLA herself).
Would very much like to get one.
Where to buy or is it custom made?
My guess is that there will be more here that are interested, so I posted in stead of a PM to @redan .
Interested! +1! That’s mug describes my husband perfectly! Would have been a great Christmas present had I know it existed!
Please tell us where to buy one. My spouse, brother-in-law, mother-in-law, several nephews and nieces, all are thinking I deserve one. I dunno, sometimes I discuss other subjects like SpaceX, Starlink, etc.
I've seen the "things I do in my spare time" graphic before, on t-shirts.

I think it's some cartoon that everyone's t-shirt and coffee mug webshop started printing so you can find it at many places.

1640527215764.png

@wooter got it. The mug is available on a number of sites, and isn't Tesla-specific (as unbelievable as it sounds, some people have other hobbies!), but it does hit most of the high points. Only change I'd make is to delete the word "spare"! ;) :cool:

And how can anyone realistically encourage business to deploy charging infrastructure in rural areas?

There needs to be something in there for apartment dwelling (so I can get my own daughter in an EV). Not sure they address that.

What I fully expect is that there will be a snafu in the DOE actions that will attempt to do the same BS as what was tried with the unions or tax incentives that was struck down. Maybe a good thing but I lack trust that new rules will be at all favorable to Tesla. Like, where’s the catch, and how could that affect Tesla grown or limit value?

Another dagger to the argument that ICE vehicles can sometimes be cleaner than EV. Study finds that even the supply chain for producing and maintaining ICE vehicles has a larger carbon footprint than the equivalent EV supply chain.

“The surprising element was how much lower the emissions of electric vehicles were,” said researcher Stephanie Weber. “The supply chain for combustion vehicles is just so dirty that electric vehicles can’t surpass them, even when you factor in indirect emissions.”

I thought the Piedmont lithium deal fell through from NIMBY NC local opposition?

Last I read it was Piedmont Lithium incompetence- they hadn't bothered to even begin filing some of the permits they needed years after claiming they were doing so... and local governments began to notice this disconnect.

Piedmont Lithium's plans to extract lithium buried within Gaston County remain years behind schedule as the company only recently submitted its mining permit application to the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality

The company originally told WCNC Charlotte it expected to have its permits by late-2019 and complete construction by 2021.

So the delays are all self-inflicted to this point.... only last month did they finally get their ducks enough in a row for public hearings about the mine.... certainly there was some NIMBY remarks made there, but that's not what's been holding this up for years.