Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the generalization true that such organizations may have corrupt members, but in the case of ****** it’s the bosses not the rank and file that have been corrupt? ......

In ANY organisation the way the leader is acting has an enormous effect on that organisation. Example behaviour.
Leaders that prove to be corrupt time after time spread the message that that is apparently acceptable in that organisation.
It affects everyone there.

Luckily that is just as true on the positive side, when a leader shows the positive example.
Just look at Elon Musk; it's called leadership.
Not only employees at Tesla, but we all here benefit hugely from that.

I think people see recession and runs for the hills. Most recessions result from demand side recession. High unemployment due to some kind of trauma to the economy which results in tightening spending from individuals with employment uncertainty. Many measures need to help stimulate the economy to increase demand for goods so companies can keep growing their earnings. If not, then it's a negative feedback loop in which the less demand for your good, the more people you laid off resulting in less demand for your goods. You see how the market can react negatively to this as it doesn't seem transitory and requires some major work to get out of the slump.

The recession I am looking at today is most likely a supply side recession due to supply chain issues. This is different than the supply side recession we had due to high unemployment rate in the 70s. Demand for goods are high as company raise prices and seem to phase no one. Everyone who wants a job has a job, and companies are begging you to take a job. Everyone is ramping up production and prices which is having companies hitting record profits, gearing for a massive economy EXPANSION vs contraction. And we know where the supply chain issues are and see a light at the end of that tunnel as the market is forward looking. Ports cannot be blocked forever, and everyone is guiding for an ease of supply chain issue starting 1H of 2023.

This is why I am sticking to the 2 quarters of slightly negative GDP and then some positive GDP numbers going forward...aka a recession with a bull rally.

Good post. I also think it's not really helpful for individual investors to worry about a down year or two in the stock market. Those who worry about things like this should look at the market returns going back to the 1950's and before. We have had major wars, recessions, bear markets, political turmoil, inflation, unemployment, and everything you can shake a stick at and the formula to the one sure way to wealth has not changed: Invest in good companies with a long-term bull mentality and allow your gains to compound over the years. We live in much more promising times than the 1970's or 1980's. Innovation and information is travelling at the speed of light. Make more than you spend and keep adding to your investments. Cash is not an investment and will wither away to nothing.

After 30 years of doing this, you are either a multi-millionaire or you are doing it wrong. And that 'doing it wrong' is not being too bullish on the economy and the market, it's much more likely being too timid and pulling your money out after you have some small gains and people start fearmongering about inflation or recession worries, interest rates, escalation of war, high unemployment, pandemics, etc. People who worry about "protecting" their gains are, ironically, the ones with the lowest returns in the long run. Investing works. Avoid the scams and companies that have mediocre leadership and invest like you mean it.

Don't worry, be happy, live life, enjoy!

Last edited:
@Troy916 Interested to hear why you think Austin and Berlin will produce so few cars?
Tesla is waiting because every passing day is a new day to improve this product called Tesla manufacturing. The goal is to produce "an order of magnitude" more using the same space. We see this happening with our own eyes the amount of process Tesla has simplified, and factory space saved. I believe they need to fully test many new things they are trying at Berlin/Texas, perfect it, increase production by 2-3x and then plan to open more factories. Musk's goal is to hit 20M using as little amount of factories as possible.

One more Twitter post that I think is worth sharing, hot off the presses and this time dealing with the Giga Berlin permitting process. Along with @avoigt I'd consider Tobias to be one of the best sources of information on Giga Berlin around:

So, I’m reading the second thousand page novel in a 4 book series. The next two books are also each a thousand pages long. As a rather relaxed reader, in no great hurry, savoring every word, and luxuriating in the fake reality of the story, I’m pretty sure I’ll finish the entire saga before they are finished going through this part of the permitting process. 🙄

Went into a global pandemic unseen since the 1910's with a share price of $140 and will exit said pandemic(god willing) in a month or so at $1000-1400.

Folks "protecting their gains" in that period did not fare so well.

One could make a reasonable argument that said pandemic, and logistic and supply problems associated with it, helped strengthen Tesla by highlighting their agility compared to . . . well . . . everyone.

@Troy916 Interested to hear why you think Austin and Berlin will produce so few cars?
This post by Troy seems almost identical to a "value" investor using trailing 12 months to value Tesla, rather than looking to the growth and running the numbers. We have no idea what the version 1.5 plant in Berlin and 2.0 plant in Austin can do when fully ramped. If I am to assume that the number of robots and parts drops by 1/3 or more because of structural pack, then we are talking about ~2M as opposed to 1M in China. Austin is about the same footprint but like 2X the height of China as far as I can tell. What if the ATX plant is a 6M car plant and we dont know it yet? What if the plants that are already erected can do 10M cars and they arent saying anything yet? VW has told us it takes 1/3rd the time to make a Model Y than a comparable ID4...which means less equipment in a given area. It would not surprise me in the slightest if BER is a 1.5-2M car plant in its current form.

They keep reiterating 20M cars, what we are discussing has nothing to do with metallurgy that only 10 people in thew world know with castings, this is simple math. You really think TSLA doesnt have a plan to hit 20M cars?

Even those numbers can be understated when we put the BYD sales into context of vehicle price. BYD's are at the bottom of the scale and Tesla nearer the top end. Point is, it's a lot harder to sell in volume when your sales price is three times that of BYD.
Correction: BYD predominately makes mid-price BEVs in the Chinese market, mostly. It produces and sells delivery vehicles and busses globally. Nothing ‘bottom of the scale’ about BYD. ASP for BYD, depending on the market, can be higher than Tesla due to commercial vehicles and busses.