Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery day stated:-
  • High Nickel - Semi and Cybertruck (also probably Roadster)
  • Nickel / Manganese - S, X, 3, Y
  • Iron - energy storage and entry level vehicles
For large scale energy storage, I can see Tesla mainly using external suppliers. for example. CATL.

The issues with making everything high nickel are:-
  • Sourcing the required volumes of Nickel.
  • The additional cost of using more Nickel
IMO most of the Battery Day cost savings they talk about where for the high nickel chemistry.

But if we take Battery Day literally, Model Ys produced at Austin will have Nickel/Manganese cells.

Clearly they didn't tell us everything at Battery Day, I don't think making Cathodes with different chemistries would change much on the 4680 production line...

All cells might be High Nickel if they can get enough nickel at the right price,

IMO if we are talking a "structural battery pack" that probably requires cylindrical cells to make a honeycomb structure, obviously for energy storage a structural pack isn't required. Again there could be stuff here we haven't been told,, so there could be multiple possible solutions..
The wild card is the BYD LFP blade cells, which have the potential to be used in structural packs. It will be interesting to see how Tesla uses these if the rumors are true about the order.

I thought it was quite interesting last Tuesday when I helped my friends pick up their Model 3 SR. The website still says 267 mile range, but their screen indicates 274 mile range. They charged the other night, and it was 273 in the morning, so their LFP pack is better than promised. That would be fantastic if they can keep improving LFP like that. It now has more range than my 2018 Model 3 Mid-Range.

I still want my SR AWD option, they keep upping the range on all the packs and I have no reason to buy a LR pack unless that's the only way to buy AWD.

I want that blue line to come back and the red line to be replaced by the SR AWD.

If they have a huge gap in price between SR RWD and LR AWD I might cheap out. If they space them out evenly with a MR AWD or SR AWD I'll bump it up in spec when I buy.

Extra range has zero value for me. It's replacing an EV that gets less than 90 miles a charge now. Doesn't matter to me if the SR does 250 or 275 or 300.

1645422965553.png

This was one of the best talks about the state of FSD:

Cliffs:
* It’s really complicated to analyze FSD, getting a one good metric for how good FSD is is impossible. You need to drive it a lot to get an intuition which is hard to quantify.
* Media sucks, CNBC is basically anti-signal and you do better not listening to them. Follow up question is how much other bad information you have gotten regarding other topics. Avoid news that simplify important and complex questions.
* Highway miles vs city miles is really complex and rural highway miles have more accidents than city miles, but then again they are driven less. It’s hard to use that as a metric
* When you debate a topic you become biased, so it’s dangerous to try to debate skeptics and trolls.
* US regulators are pretty fair, rest of world is generally more conservative. Tesla has an advantage in being a US company.
* When Tesla activated Autopilot the first time they had clean data for the first time, same drivers/cars before Autopilot vs after Autopilot.
* The falsifiable question is not when FSD will be ready, it’s when will FSD be available to drivers without requiring the driver to have a safety score. Will it be this year?
* Book recommendation: Superforecasting
* Good question to write down before you invest: What would need to happen for me to have been wrong about my investment thesis? For example if Tesla sell less than 2M vehicles in 2023 I was wrong.

I went back and looked at the 2020 battery day presentation.

It is really an amazing "top secret" road map across multiple parts of Tesla. Not just batteries, but castings, Cybertruck, Semi, $25k car, ...

Looking at it now, less than 18 months later, it is pretty incredible to see how much has been accomplished.

Futures contracts trade through Cboe Global Markets, formerly known as the "Chicago Board Options Exchange" (CBOE). They have separate trading hours vs the major stock exchanges in New York City (NYSE, NASDAQ)

Hours & Holidays - Cboe Global Markets › about › hours › us-futures​

Extended Trading Hours: Feb 21, 2022 (all times Central)

5:00 p.m. (Sun) to 10:30 a.m. (Mon) and 5:00 p.m.(Mon) to 8:30 a.m. (Tue)

Cheers!
Also I had no idea, but apparently futures pertains to the trading of commodities. It's not clear exactly when people started using futures as some kind of surrogate or prediction system for the stock market but that's not even what they are for or represent.

Also I had no idea, but apparently futures pertains to the trading of commodities. It's not clear exactly when people started using futures as some kind of surrogate or prediction system for the stock market but that's not even what they are for or represent.

Well that's certainly the way the Chicago Board of Exchange started business, but there is in fact a specific futures contract for the NASDAQ-100 called the NQ=F which currently expires on March 22, 2022 (then they'll start trading contracts which expire on a later date)

Cheers!

There is a good reason futures are spiking higher - but that reason was on the list of topics that moderators said will lead to a ban. Just go check out a news site I guess if you want to know what happened in the last half hour.

Mentioning the reason why the futures have gone up - a positive development on the diplomatic front in the Russia-Ukraine situation - is no problem at all and will definitely not lead to a ban. Why? Because a big move in the futures is relevant to TSLA, and therefore also the reason for that move.

The problematic posts are the ones that usually follow:

- "We’ve seen this before, Putin cannot be trusted.”
- “I understand why Putin thinks Ukraine should fall under Russian influence. They share historical ties, which go back to 1373, when Pjotr…”
- “Ukraine also has links to the west and should be allowed to join NATO and the EU to protect it from the dictator that resides in the Kremlin.”
- “The EU cannot handle the membership of a corrupt nation like Ukraine, which is a bottomless pit for any economic aid.”
- “The EU is a failed experiment, where bureaucrats rule. The British left for a reason and you can see how Switzerland and Norway are thriving.”
- “Brexit has proven to be a disaster for the British economy. There's a huge shortage of truck drivers after the East Europeans went back home.”
- "Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera."

Usually the relevance to Tesla/TSLA quickly goes down to zero. We’ve seen this kind of derailing so often now, despite of many warnings, that higher up the mod ladder it has been decided that it needs to stop. I agree.

Possible Giga Tesla in Hungary. More than € 6 billion in investment, who has that much money? Official announcement until April 3.

Yes but with Tesla's having such solid resale value, that may not be such a problem.
That is true, but also the data in Tesla financings (ABS, the only thing they consistently do) Tesla loans and leases have the highest credit quality in the US industry, followed by Mercedes Benz. At this credit quality repossessions are vanishingly rare. The captives that have had financial problems are rare also, but those invariably are deep subprime with lax deal standards which usually permit financing well above the typical retail price, so allowing dealer ability to add worthless options, ‘additional dealer margin, weird ‘insurance’ options, etc.

Tesla paper has NONE of that, further enhancing credit quality.
FWIW, that does not always make Tesla the cheapest lender or best lessor, but it is never extortionate which almost all the others can be.

Possible Giga Tesla in Hungary. More than € 6 billion in investment, who has that much money? Official announcement until April 3.

In the interview, a question is asked that Szijjártó previously claimed that Debrecen is competing for several foreign investments that could put the city on the front page of the international economic press. The mayor of Debrecen did not give details about this, but he did not deny that something was being done by 2022.

In response, Péter Szijjártó said that one such investment belongs to the South Korean company EcoPro, which was already announced last December.

Unlikely for Tesla to invest in factory in Hungary, in my opinion. "South Korean company EcoPro" more likely. Article uses Euros and Hungarian Forints (roughly 350 Forints/Euro). Milliárd means billion (million would be "millió forint"). So SKI is at a bit less than 2 billion euros. Shows how good Tesla is at spending money.

1645438584456.png

Raising the following story simply because it would affect investment decisions/subsidies and more as EU can withhold financial support if rule of law is in jeopardy as EU contends it is in Poland, Hungary, perhaps more - Poland, Hungary lose legal challenge against EU rule-of-law tool

There is an election coming up in Hungary on 3 April. That is why these sorts of stories are being run, to talk up things for the incumbent Orban. Personally I cannot see any reason why Tesla would contemplate a second European factory decision for at least 2-3 years.

I doubt Elon would entertain dealing with Viktor Orban. Many better options in Eastern Europe, including Romania and Slovakia. Also Estonia up there at the Baltic Sea has been gunning for Tesla a while now and they are one of the most economically developed and educated nations in Eastern Europe.

Unlikely for Tesla to invest in factory in Hungary, in my opinion. "South Korean company EcoPro" more likely. Article uses Euros and Hungarian Forints (roughly 350 Forints/Euro). Milliárd means billion (million would be "millió forint"). So SKI is at a bit less than 2 billion euros. Shows how good Tesla is at spending money.

View attachment 771957

Raising the following story simply because it would affect investment decisions/subsidies and more as EU can withhold financial support if rule of law is in jeopardy as EU contends it is in Poland, Hungary, perhaps more - Poland, Hungary lose legal challenge against EU rule-of-law tool

After translating and reading this I was at first thinking it was about EcoPro also. But the article (or the translation) is a bit unclear IMHO. Another article linked makes me believe that EcoPro is a done deal (third place in investment value up to now) but the new project will be much larger and should be announced before the elections (April 3):
we can announce an investment of more than EUR 6 billion before the elections
Although we do not know the name and industry of the foreign investment company swung by Viktor Orbán, it is worth taking a look at the players at the top of the list and which sectors are overrepresented. The last significant investment ( 3rd place was EcoPro ) was announced last December by Péter Szijjártó, who also talked about a battery factory investment. Therefore, there are certainly many who, if they had to bet, would also guess this sector, from which an investment of 6 billion euros could come to Hungary again.Not even the largest international car manufacturers may be able to have a small, similarly large one-time investment volume, based on previous Hungarian experience, or a new player cannot be ruled out in the Hungarian market, which in turn must be a significant global player in its own sector.

• Informative
Reactions: CorneliusXX
The Harley-Davidson plan (as announced) is not encompassed by my understanding of the word "spin-off". It's completely different thing. The new company will still be owned 74% by H-D and HOG shareholders get no separate stake in the EV division. Essentially, H-D is capitalizing their EV division by selling some of it off. Shareholders actually end up with less interest in the EV portion of the business than they do now. But that's considered fair because the division has more cash with which to use for R&D. It's considered that shareholders have traded some of the EV division for cash and the SPAC shareholders have taken over that interest. That's how the deal is described in a nutshell in the press release.

FWIW close analogies are possibly beginning to be popular. Geely now have done that with Volvo and are now doing it with Polestar. Both are explicitly to raise money to advance the transition to pure EV production. Considering the huge capex needed to accomplish that this is a logical step for them, in my opinion.

Tesla is unique as the only OEM to have both huge free cash flow and an entirely EV+renewables business model. Despite a massive growth rate they need no capital injections. Over and over we discuss this amazing reality. Understandably the broader world cannot imagine how this can happen. The relentless pursuit of reduced: 1) production cost, 2) distribution cost, 3) service and warranty cost simply is not conceivable to most legacy OEM manufacturers and their support structure. Above all, apart from Ferrari nobody else has a cash conversion cycle that resembles magic.

So, the legacy makers with some brains are quite aware that they really cannot pull of this transition with business as usual, although they still try. In a bizarre was it is reminiscent of a slightly paraphrased quotation ascribed to the late H. Milk "We know we cannot do it, but that does not keep us from trying". It is exactly that which makes the more thoughtful people try to separate EVs from their other businesses.

That it is Geely, Harley Davidson that can do that is part of the virtue of smaller size and close control.
Little by little other niche solutions are happening, notably the unusual ceding of Bugatti with Rimac;

So, yes, "completely different thing". 2022 will continue to be a very interesting year.

I don't think Tesla will be making 3 TWh of "high nickel cells" annually,

That doesn't mean they are making LFP in 4680 format.

But I think it means they will be making some cells in an "entry level" chemistry,
I disagree only because we know that cell to pack is already being done by CATL with prismatic and BYD with Blade. There si no inherent reason that Tesla would adopt cylindrical 4680 in preference to those, especially when Cybertruck, Semi, Model Y, more Model Y and others can and will use high nickel for Performance and other such applications. Battery day showed us.

Obviously they might produce any new chemistry in 4680 form factor. High volume, though, does not give evidence of that.

I doubt Elon would entertain dealing with Viktor Orban. Many better options in Eastern Europe, including Romania and Slovakia. Also Estonia up there at the Baltic Sea has been gunning for Tesla a while now and they are one of the most economically developed and educated nations in Eastern Europe.
Estonia also has a plentiful supply of clever application development people and a very technology-savvy resource base. They can easily access Helsinki resources from there also. IIRC, the very first Tesla rental in Europe was from:
There are quite a few excellent options in Eastern Europe. Few are so well placed to service the Saint Petersburg area, Moscow Tesla Club and their customers as would be Estonia, whenever the current crises will abate. This may not be the ideal time to make that point.

Estonia also has a plentiful supply of clever application development people and a very technology-savvy resource base. They can easily access Helsinki resources from there also. IIRC, the very first Tesla rental in Europe was from:
There are quite a few excellent options in Eastern Europe. Few are so well placed to service the Saint Petersburg area, Moscow Tesla Club and their customers as would be Estonia, whenever the current crises will abate. This may not be the ideal time to make that point.
We also have a very business-friendly and technologically forward thinking economic environment, and the world's best PISA science scores which promise a highly skilled future workforce.

I just wish Tesla hadn't stopped its EU expansion just shy of the Baltics, we really need official Tesla representation here to help us move towards vehicle electrification, which is sadly lagging here. Even though VW made a big push here with their ID models last year, the Model 3 was still the most popular electric car. Only a few dozen in total, but it shows that the market is hungry for them here if only it were easier to get them.

Below are 2021 stats for electric vehicles and all combined in Estonia.

autod elekter.png

autod koos.png

Last edited: