Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Krang.jpg

I prefer this

images

For example if the SEC case goes against Elon with a scathing ruling issued by the judge, making it clear that Elon will face sanctions, the stock could gap down in a major way overnight as well.

What is the "worst case scenario" ruling that the judge can issue in your opinion?
If we assume Elon is removed as CEO, who says he can't appoint (obviously with board approval, etc) his brother as such and effectively be a CEO in a shadow mode?

What I'm getting to is- he is the major shareholder after all. Are we supposed to be "panicked" at all (when the major outlook is long term)?

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV and PANN
And one presumes that whatever their plans are, they've long ago worked them out with their suppliers, as anything else would be idiocy.

We don't have to speculate about these aspects - we've been told them by Tesla. And that's start of operation at the beginning of Q4, ramped up to 3k/wk by the end of Q4.

Correct, just like for any other manufacturer. It does not save you on shipping, and you can't use RO-RO shipping. But it lets you use lower-cost labour (for the most labour-intensive stage), lower-cost parts, and potentially avoid some or all of tariffs, as well as increasing your total production capacity and reducing per-unit depreciation on your existing hardware which isn't running at full design capacity. These are all massive advantages.

So I guess the feasibility of GA first with imported bodies comes down to which portions (stamping, component supplier, GA equipment supplier) have the most ability to pull in timing (maybe press is ready to go..). Based on that offset timing, tariffs, and custom equipment, is the stagger cost effective.

For instance, If the parts suppliers were also planning for start of Q4 for production, ramping to 3k/wk, then a early GA line would not have parts to use. Even if they could more one one quarter ahead, that is sub 10k cars worth of production. Which means ~3k SDK carriers needed (reusable) or 10k one time use.

Say 10k cars additional, at 10% margin on a 30k car, that is only $30 million total offset by shipping/ dunnage/ transport.

I wouldn’t worry about Elon losing a title. He’s already stated publicly he became “the nothing of tesla” and nothing happened. As long as he owns the most stock I think he’ll be calling the shots. Not unlike an underground government except as the nothing of tesla he’ll probably be able to tweet at will.

Reactions: Krugerrand
What is the "worst case scenario" ruling that the judge can issue in your opinion?
If we assume Elon is removed as CEO, who says he can't appoint (obviously with board approval, etc) his brother as such and effectively be a CEO in a shadow mode?

What I'm getting to is- he is the major shareholder after all. Are we supposed to be "panicked" at all (when the major outlook is long term)?

I wouldn't be worried about Elon losing the CEO position or stepping down, so long as he is replaced by an insider like Jerome or JB who understand the urgency of Tesla's mission. I'm sure Elon would still lead engineering, vision and product roadmap and still have a lot of influence over strategy.

I am considering going up for the case. I have contacted another TMC member for advice (thanks!) and been on the Court website. NO CELL PHONES allowed in court so may get nothing till after the case is over which I suspect could be around 3pm.

I just hope if I go up there are enough seats in the courtroom......

Hide your phone in the toilet beforehand and drink lots of water...

What are the chance of Tesla doing battery cell production in the future? Have Elon ever hinted at that?

I think that the Maxwell deal is all about that. Trying to find better manufacturing technology that makes the entry point into manufacturing less expensive and keep it all in house. Panasonic has been a good partner and should continue to be one but that shouldn't hinder Tesla from also adding their own lines. If they're seriously cell starved now it will only get worse in the future with all the coming products.

What are the chance of Tesla doing battery cell production in the future? Have Elon ever hinted at that?

I think that the Maxwell deal is all about that. Trying to find better manufacturing technology that makes the entry point into manufacturing less expensive and keep it all in house. Panasonic has been a good partner and should continue to be one but that shouldn't hinder Tesla from also adding their own lines. If they're seriously cell starved now it will only get worse in the future with all the coming products.
My understanding is that only some of the cells are produced on the Panasonic side, and some of the cells are produced on the Tesla side.

All new UK cars to have speed limiters by 2022 under EU plans

Wow....saw this on Guardian today.

EU proposes to control vehicles speeds by 2022.

That could hurt Tesla sales.

If you read more about the system that's proposed, it's more of a suggestion than enforcement for the speed limit. It can be overridden by... Pressing the accelerator pedal. Or may have an on/off switch allowing the user to simply disable the system altogether.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
All new UK cars to have speed limiters by 2022 under EU plans

Wow....saw this on Guardian today.

EU proposes to control vehicles speeds by 2022.

That could hurt Tesla sales.
Don't get too excited about this. This is all about fitting technology to vehicles which makes speed limiting possible and potentially enabling it by default.

BUT the driver can and will be able to override the system. The press, however, like to spin the story so it sounds as though we will all be forced to drive at the speed limit.

Bear in mind that many ICE cars already have this tech fitted. Many owners choose not to use it and that will carry on being the case.